2 Mile Commute, plus many long Road Trips

Chitown Drifter

TDI
MK7, soon I hope
Although I won't be getting a TDI because of my short commute and the scarcity of DS2 diesel fuel my area (stupid Illinois B11) the chances just improved that I'll get a Golf TSI. My first two requirements are 4 doors and a manual transmission, but the VW web site trims show a manual TSI only with 2 doors. I contacted VW, actually talked to a representative, and was told all TSI models (2 doors, 4 doors, S, SE, SEL) will be available with a manual transmission later in 2015.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
+1 for gas Golf.

If you average 12,000 miles per year, there's no point in spending the extra money to buy a diesel. Your fuel savings, if any, will hardly make a difference to your wallet.

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
I realize this is an old post, but I just drove a Focus 1.0t hatchback and didnt find it that bad. Of course, having owned an ALH for 10 years, I am still accustomed to the power. The car is very close in size, weight and power (125hp, 148ftlb) to my 99.5 Golf. It is no rocketship, but it drove nicely. The 6speed box felt and shifted very nicely, too. Just wanted to add since your post intrigued me. I had no idea such a car existed on these shores before your post.

Last edited:

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
OK. Let me just break this down to you country simple because I can relate to a lot of your original post.

Based on this quote
"Getting a new car is more of a want than a need; I can afford it, and at this point in my life (approaching 60) I would like a more refined and up-to-date vehicle"

You should buy the Golf. The Focus is not the car for you. Forget all the other stuff about filters and commute and blah blah blah. :) In my opinion, taking nothing away from Ford..I've owned them..I even had a Focus, and going from a Fit to Focus is a total lateral move. The ride, comfort, refinement, handling, styling, and just that solid thud of the German VW door closing...those are the things you want. You deserve. And will not find in a Ford or Mazda or any Japanese car. If you buy anything less than what you REALLY want, ie The Golf TDI, you will regret it.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL. I traded in a Volvo XC 60 and then a Subaru Forester on my search. I test drove the BMW X1, X3, Audi A4, Q5, (I can afford them easily) and then the Passat, And Golf. Every day I'm driving my Golf I know I made the right decision and it is the right car and perfect mix of refinement, fun, and economy. PS I live in Worcester Massachusetts. Similar to Chicago as far as climate and as a matter of fact for the past two years we were the snowiest city in the Continental US. That said, I have had NO problem with starts or fuel filters ...or anything after 30k. And I drive short trips to my kids school and then long commutes to NJ and NY. And, my FWD Golf with awesome snow tires, is by far, the best handling car in the snow I've ever had. And I've had a lot of AWD SUVs.

Good luck and post a pic of you and your Golf when you get it.

Last edited:

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
I have bought a few cars and shopped for cars to replace my 99.5 Golf....and I also come back to the Golf. I drove the Focus as it certainly piqued my interest after reading this. It actually drove pretty good, but I found myself wondering how it would hold up to the test of time. There is something about the Golf that just can't be beat.......