2" Hitch Option for Sportwagen

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
This hitch is amazing!

I have never seen this hitch mentioned before, it seems like the perfect blend the Euro style hitches but without the massive cost increase.

I have held of on buying a hitch because I didn't like the lower clearance of the Curt/Drawlite/etc hitches, but couldn't afford the cost of the Euro Hitches

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Yeah, it's basically the same as the Euro types. I noticed the notch in the back valence, though. Is that normal for a 2010 model? My 2011 doesn't have it.
That was always my big bugaboo about the Euro hitch - making the notch with my limited techie skills.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
That does look interesting. If I didn't already have a Westfalia hitch, I would have given that a try...

mvoss15

TDI
2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (previous 05 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW TDI, 05 Jeep Liberty CRD)
Looked at the photos closer - there definitely is a notch. Not sure how hard that would be to cut out. I'm going to ask them to email me the install instructions and see if it gives any details on that.

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
I did email asking if they by chance provided a template for making the notch. Other then that I'm ready to order one now.

mvoss15

TDI
Let us know what you find out!

I did email asking if they by chance provided a template for making the notch. Other then that I'm ready to order one now.

andrewctdi

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. '16 GTI PP
Now they just need an application for the Golf! I haven't been able to eliminate exhaust/hitch contact with a Curt or a Drawtite. Really sick of listening to the rattle on rough roads. This hitch would be the cure.

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
Thanks for the info! I will be watching for their response. Might be ordering one this week!

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
That's the best hitch I've seen for the JSW. Two inch option, stock bumper beam reinstalls. Awsome! Looks like I'll have my Curt hitch for sale in a while. too bad they couldn't have dropped it just a half inch lower so that the only cut was to the horizontal portion of the bumper that's unseen.

mvoss15

TDI
So their website states this is for the 2010+ model year Sportwagens. Mine's a 2009, and the company is unsure whether their hitch will fit on a 2009. Does anyone know whether there were any changes made to the rear of the car, or the rear bumper assembly, that would cause there to be a difference between the model years?

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Here is a response from the company. I forgot to include my model tho.

Hello Bob,

What EcoHitch are you looking for specifically? Many of our EcoHitches require some notching or small cutting of the bumper to allow the receiver to come through and all measurements will be given in the instruction manuals. The frame plates and cross tube will all stay hidden. This is not an unusual practice for hitch installation.

Thanks again,

Trevor Silva - Customer Support
Torklift Central - Kent, WA

Local: 253.854.1832 Fax: 253.479.0229
WEB: www.torkliftcentral.com
EMAIL: trevor@tlcentral.com

Proud Manufacturer of

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
damnit! i wish i'd seen this sooner. i already have a Curt hitch for my bike carrier. this would have made choosing a bike carrier MUCH easier. i needed a carrier that would convert from 1.25" and 2" for 2 different vehicles. that really limits options. there are many great options of carriers for 2" shanks.

oh well.

this hitch looks amazing. how did you stumble across it? i 'googled' the hell out of various phrases trying to find hitches for our JSW applications . . .

mvoss15

TDI
I hear ya on the time spent searching for something like this. I actually came across it from searching to see if you could put a hitch on a Tesla (not that I can afford a Tesla...but was curious!) Came across their site, and then discovered they made a product for the JSW. They could do a better job on their Search Engine Optimization - seems there's a lot of VW drivers who would appreciate this product!

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Just order the hitch and was surprised no tax and free shipping! So $249 is a good deal! It'll make a good pre spring project.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I wish they made some for the MK4 platform. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll shoot them an email.

mvoss15

TDI
Really wanting to order - just not 100% sure if it will work on a 2009 Sportwagen. Looking at a VW parts diagram, it looks like the rear bumper components are all the same part numbers between a 2009 and a 2010. Anyone know any different?

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Mvoss15 I can take measurements as I'm installing mine, If it'll help. and can pm you the instructions when I get them if that'll help even more!

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
i don't even want to hear how well these hitches are going to work out for you guys! haha, kicking myself for getting a curt!

i'll install the curt anyway. i can't justify buying a different one right now, with a brand new one sitting on the garage floor! if i really really don't like it, i can always change it down the road sometime . . .

specs are the same i believe, at 200lbs tongue/2,000lbs towing weight

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
If your hitch is brand new try and advertise it for a few weeks! Can't hurt. I was very close to ordering as well I'm so glad I found it. The curt would of hit at work and that wouldn't be good long term.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not concerned about scraping. Lift (rear towing) springs are also sitting on the garage floor waiting for time to install ;)

I got the curt hitch for way less than what the torklift would cost. Add onto that conversion to CAD, plus shipping and/or stateside pickup, it soon becomes far more expensive. Too difficult to hide this one from the wife! Hahaha

Kelly6773

TDI
2011 JSW
Very true statement! I'll see how this camping season goes as to wether I get the towing springs! The one good thing about an F250 crew cab is I never once said where am I going to fit this!

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Very true statement! I'll see how this camping season goes as to wether I get the towing springs! The one good thing about an F250 crew cab is I never once said where am I going to fit this!
I got the towing springs specifically for weekends away at the trailer. We load up quite a bit sometimes, especially for trips a week or two at a time. there were a few times last season we needed to take the truck instead, but now with an cargo box on the roof, and a bike rack on the hitch, we should be golden with the wagon for most trips now. Of course, the added weight is taxing on the springs, hence the towing spring upgrade coming shortly.

sorry to hear you have a Ford . . . ;)
haha, we have a Dodge Cummins for the bigger, heavier loads that are too much for the wagon to handle.
however, taking the wagon to and from the trailer is much more efficient!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wish I had known about this 5 years ago. Not sure I want to take off the existing hitch for one that won't drag. I don't usually need the higher weight rating. As mentioned above, I would like one for the Golf.

I contacted the closest installer to me (Greenville, SC) and he quoted a $150 install price. Puts it slightly more than the U-Haul hitch on the JSW now. (~$320 with install IIRC) He said that he has no info on fit for the Golf.

Last edited:

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Beautiful hitch. Looks like the euro without the swan neck. Looks like a "proper" installation point.
Which leads me to my first (of many) questions.

I'd been looking at hitches for my BMW 5 wagon, and as you all know, the euro swan neck have 50mm balls, where US has options. The US (like Curt) were all class 1, while the euro had at least double the capacity in total tow weight, but still 200lbs tongue. I have a small sound company, and need a bit more room a trailer could afford. But, by the time I get a small covered trailer, I'd be too close to load limit for class 1 to load a couple subs and some powered mains. (sigh) Taking two vehicles to a job sucks.

So on to my new vehicle - the my <1week old, <400mi 2014 JSW TDI with DSG auto. VW says basically class 1 for all JSW, except the DSG, where towing is not recommended/rated. I'm assuming that the mere installation of a hitch would have warranty repercussions.

I know I should search - mea culpa, I'm sure it has been covered many times before. Forgive my excitement.

It irks me. Why does VW (and other euro wagons) discourage towing, when sport wagons are the primary tow vehicle across the pond? Why can they "get away" with basically class 2 towing where the exact same vehicle in the US is limited to class 1, or not at all?

For those of you with the Westfilia hitches, did you get (or use) the extra capacity of that tow setup? Any "problems" with the 50mm ball? Noise? Tongue ot locking on tight? I know there is only a sixteenth or so between the US spec and 50mm. In theory, little more than manufacturing tolerances, but from a legal/liability point, one does have to worry not so much the law, but the lawyers.
thanks
frank

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
50 mm ball is within a few thousandths of the 2" ball. No problem.
I tow a 2800 lb Scamp and I use the extra capacity and feel comfortable with it.
You always have problems with lawyers.
I don't care for any of them, even my own!
Try to find a car (or truck) that will list the SAE rating J2807 for their machine!
The new ratings were to have been implemented years ago, but the manufacturers shied away.
The biggest bugaboo is the tow up the Davis dam grade in 110 *F heat without overheating.
The starting pull away on a 12 % grade five times in forward and reverse within 5 min. the VW TDI does easily at 3500 lbs.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
2009s are the same as 10's. This should also fit the 2006 to 2010 jetta sedan. The euro hitches work on all mk5 Jettas and Wagons and the mk6 wagon is the same. The rear bumber cover is different, but that should just affect the cut.

I have the rear impact numbers from an mk5 golf and my mk6 JSW under my house and they have the same mounting pattern. The holes in the sides of the mk5 "frame" rails might not up with the parts of this hitch that slide into them, but otherwise it should go on the car. If you could measure the distance of the holes from the beginning of the frame rails on both a golf and JSW, and they match, then you could be more certain that this might fit a golf. Hopefully, then the rear bumper cover would fit over it correctly.
I know that's a lot of if's.

mvoss15

TDI
2009s are the same as 10's. This should also fit the 2006 to 2010 jetta sedan. The euro hitches work on all mk5 Jettas and Wagons and the mk6 wagon is the same. The rear bumber cover is different, but that should just affect the cut.

I have the rear impact numbers from an mk5 golf and my mk6 JSW under my house and they have the same mounting pattern. The holes in the sides of the mk5 "frame" rails might not up with the parts of this hitch that slide into them, but otherwise it should go on the car. If you could measure the distance of the holes from the beginning of the frame rails on both a golf and JSW, and they match, then you could be more certain that this might fit a golf. Hopefully, then the rear bumper cover would fit over it correctly.
I know that's a lot of if's.
So if I understand you correctly, on the wagons, no difference in the rear bumper or components from an 09 through the later "mk6" models? Great news!

frosterrj

TDI
2005 Passat Silver/Black; 2013 TDI SportWagen 6M White/Black
Torklift is local to me. I called them and got the install document. There is, indeed, cutting of the bumper facia

Step 9. Mark and trim a 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” square at the center of the bumper fascia. Apply the Trim-Lok to the cut edges and trim the excess. See Figure [7].

But this looks to be on the road-facing surface of the bumper. May not even be visible with the hitch in place.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
They should be exactly the same. My sister's 06 Jetta sedan is just like my 10 JSW underneath and the same European Bosal or Westfalia hitch fits both. This hitch should fit both as well.