2% bio for all diesel fuels?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I was flipping through the channels a little over a week ago and caught the tail end of a news story and have tried finding info on this. I haven't found anything so I thought I would just post. The story was about the elimination of MTBE in gasoline and how they were going to use ethanol. I think they said concentrations up to 10% or whatever. However what I was wanting to know about was I thought I heard them say that all diesel fuels would contain 2% bio. Is this a regional thing, national thing, something I misheard, or something else all together?

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue
There is a renewable fuel standard which takes effect this fall that states a certain percentage of *gas* sold must be renewable fuel. The standard apparently only refers to gasoline, but they mention biodiesel will count towards a refinery's required percentage. The initial percentage will be no less than about 2.75% renewable fuel. As far as diesel fuel, it's strictly a state-by-state decision at this point.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/renewablefuels/

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That might be what I heard. I would like to see some bio available in my area in at least B10. I heard a rumor that a biodiesel plant was being built in Williamsburg, Kentucky. That's about an hour from me; it's right on I-75 near the TN border. Perhaps some bio might make its way north to Cincinnati? Or do you guys have some bio facilities in OH?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Been to the site plenty of times, but I'm in the south eastern/south central part. Not much anywhere close to me. I've called our distributor in the county but they don't know what's going on. I get some Nicholasville when I'm in the area.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/11/illinois_senato.html

The US Senate is forwarding a bill to increase petroleum Diesel alternatives to 2 billion gallons by 2015. That would amount to about a 25-fold increase from 2005. Although it would still be a relative drop in the bucket compared to total Diesel consumption (not to mention forecasted increases), it's a step in the right direction. Having a national program, even at the B2 level would be better overall than niche pockets at higher levels of biodiesel use. Every gallon more Bio used is roughly a gallon less petroleum Diesel.

06golf82rabbit

TDI
2006 Golf
So what does this mean to the TDI PD owner where they don't recommend Bio at all. Will that mean we wont be able to get fuel for these if a state wide ruling is made.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
06golf82rabbit said:
So what does this mean to the TDI PD owner where they don't recommend Bio at all. Will that mean we wont be able to get fuel for these if a state wide ruling is made.
PD engines in North America are allowed up to 5% biodiesel, or B5. Therefore, the 2% biodiesel they're talking about here is completely within spec. :)

06golf82rabbit

TDI
2006 Golf
Oh ok, I was just wondering cuz I've seen so many times on this board NO BIO allowed. I haven't been keeping up though so thats my fault lol.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've run B10 a few times with 0 problems. It's a high volume Shell station. Not sure where they get the stuff though. Perhaps their Shell distributor gets it, I'm not sure.

06golf82rabbit

TDI
2006 Golf
Yeah I've heard of a few people running B100 in warmer climates so I guess I am still confused on this issue.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06golf82rabbit said:
Yeah I've heard of a few people running B100 in warmer climates so I guess I am still confused on this issue.
I meant it was about 100 miles for me to get some B10.

candrews4tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
I completely support making a 2% (B2) grade of diesel mandatory for all US diesel vehicles. And maybe think about 5% (B5). We could stretch our fuel reserves and improve the lubribricity of all our TDI engines to fight the ultra low sulfur diesel being introduced. And the VWNA warranty covers up to B5. I'm in the Atlanta Metro area and talk about no availability!

05.5 Jetta, 5-spd, pkg.2, tinted windows, Elf Evo CVR @ 10K

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
In order to put B2 in diesel, you are looking at half a million dollars per terminal to set up the injection system.

I think the money could be better spent. :(

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
TDIMeister said:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/11/illinois_senato.html

The US Senate is forwarding a bill to increase petroleum Diesel alternatives to 2 billion gallons by 2015. That would amount to about a 25-fold increase from 2005. Although it would still be a relative drop in the bucket compared to total Diesel consumption (not to mention forecasted increases), it's a step in the right direction. Having a national program, even at the B2 level would be better overall than niche pockets at higher levels of biodiesel use. Every gallon more Bio used is roughly a gallon less petroleum Diesel.
TDimeister, do you know to what extent B0-B5 biodiesel blends are currently used in Western Europe and the UK?

Also, do you know how I may obtain an English language description of what an annual, as I understand it, TUeV vehicle inspection entails?

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Minnesota is mandated 2% Bio in every gallon sold in the state!

We did have some issues this winter (our first winter) though and it was pulled back after the truckers were complaining about filter issues.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i drive 10 miles to get my B20 here in Omaha, Nebraska... but it's worth it. and my '02 Jetta loved it's first tank of the natural stuff. i'm keeping a new fuel filter on hand for when all that dino junk gets cleaned out of my engine.