2 ALH diesels, different VAG readings

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I have to personal cars that are diesels, my wifes 02 beetle stock as the day it came off the line, and mine 03 golf 2dr which just has RC2 and some 502s.

I replaced her pump with one off of my rebuilt shelf because it gave me a timing deviation code and the timing wouldnt stay put on the pump, I was able to read it with VAG, and it was way off, I proceeded to move it and get it situated where it was within spec but slightly advanced.

After doing so a few days later it was off again with the same code, so I pulled it, it was loud and the timing wasnt staying put so I put a rebuilt unit in that I had.

It is now running great besides a start up hiccup that it does when stone cold, but runs great, I was trying to set the timing on VAG and noticed I could see the numbers in the group 0 measuring block but when I switched to basic settings it would go to all 000s. Even when the car was warmed up it was doing that, so I took the numbers off the measuring blocks and put them on the chart manually and got it happy that way.
Car still hiccups at cold starts but runs like a sowing machine otherwise.

Both are manuals, both have 130K on them.. there is no problem with mine, it is just in the story to make sure that VAG would work on my car and it does, it shows the graph and all..

So is it a bad sensor in the pump or ?? The timing reads when it is in measuring blocks only, if you go directly to the basic settings, it will flash a number up there and then go to all 000s..
sal

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
yes there is only a blip where the fuel temp starts the reading at the bottom says timing 00 fuel temp 93 (or whatever the current fuel temp is)

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I've also seen this when the physical timing wasn't right. What procedure did you follow for installing the pump? Cam locked with proper tool, crank at TDC, and pump pin in the hole when the timing belt was put on? Or something else?

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
Temp ranges seem to be normal, nothing wonky, seems within range..

Timing was done as it should, I have all the tools required and then some, cam lock, pump locked,

physical timing is "perfect" as far as I can tell, the car runs great too, usually with bad physical timing it does not have power in a certain range depending on the degree of error..

Not sure about the FTS I thought it could be that but I have not logged the sensor to see if it moves smoothly.. I just checked it once the car was warm and ready for the timing reading via VAG.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You still need to advance the timing to get it off the 000 reading and into the chart range while in basic settings.

Setting it in the measuring blocks mode is not accurate enough. The ECM is compensating for various factors.

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
If it that far retarded it should not start, the cold start reading should be like 95 or so depending on the fuel/air temp, the warmed timing is like 57 or so with a warmed engine... I will move it to see if it is better, but that is going to send the MB timing way over the 100 mark...