2/3rds EVs by 2032... Realistic? (and time to horde diesels?)

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Heating with wood produces the very same emissions as the steam engines that you mentioned earlier btw 😂
Burning wood, especially in a high efficiency catalyst stove like a blaze king for example. Produces extremely clean energy, the pm2.5, pm10 is negligible, and the co2 outpost is so low literally the trees around my house will absorb all of it and more. Ontop of that the cost is heat with said wood is 20× cleaner than natural has per btu/therm, 15x( where i live ), cleaner than using minisplits and the grid electricity mix here. And substantially cheaper than literally all of those options. And the grown trees supplant it. So fully net zero, super comfortable because if you've had a wood stove you know, better for any type of air quality than using plants... it literally is Win Win win. The only downside is my stove can only burn for 40 hours straight on low without adding additional wood and 12-16 on high (constant real output of 14.5k btu non stop on low, and 45k non stop on higj). But that's an easy fix.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Not until the TV tells them to.

Found a private insurer for those nuke plants?

Lol, go ask them.
That assumes they'll be honest and admit they can't manage their finances. Better to read the Beige Book and you can get literal tons of free economic research just for opening a brokerage account as Schwab, BOA, etc..

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
You tell that to people who have only enough to get by on and see how well that goes over. And when other countries that have no money refuse to participate and the US taxes you for the alleged $90 Trillion I hope you enjoy that. You're going to put yourself in a cave before this is over, enjoy that too.
Explain how any of that is relevant to the reality that CO2 has increased >40% in the past century which is driving an increase average global temperatures and the burning of fossil fuels is 100% responsible for that rise. Why would I want to live in a cave? ~All my energy comes directly from the sun :)

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
There will never be enough renewable energy to provide what hydrocarbons provide us with.
The energy received from the Sun on Earth in a single day, estimated at 173,000 terawatts (TW), is approximately 277 times greater than the average daily energy generated from burning hydrocarbons, which is roughly 1.6 exajoules (EJ).

There would be no need for hydrocarbons if we developed better solar recovery technologies.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
There's far more than enough solar energy alone to replace all fossil fuel usage. Enough to supply our electricity needs and generate all of the hydrogen and hydrocarbons we'll need for the foreseeable future. You can lay on the train tracks of progress if you like, but that train ain't stopping.
Being from Maine, I'm sure you've heard of Jim Labrecque, former Maine State Energy Advisor. His understanding on solar is very much different from yours, only he offers actual math to back up his claim solar isn't the answer.

And as someone now in a solar state and who has solar on his house, I tend to agree. Like anything, once the government gets their hands on it and decides they can make money, it ceases working as it should.

gearheadgrrrl said:
Their is a slight chance that my assumption is wrong, but with the vast majority of the world's scientists agreeing that global warming is real and caused by man made CO2, the odds are strongly in my favor.
Actually, it's not in your favor. Science is not a social construct and yet some people tend to forget that. If science can be manipulated to come to a pre-conceived conclusion, then it isn't science, it's junk-science. Science withstands the scrutiny of questioning and doesn't yield, unlike the "interpretation" of climate data today. No thanks.
I am not a climate denier, I believe the climate has always changed and always will. To say it's warming or cooling is to observe anecdotal data and relay that observation, nothing more. To think someone knows what temperature the planet should be and wants $$$$ Trillions of your money to 'correct' or 'slow' the progression is simply laughable. And carbon credits are an invention of those seeking power to make money and assume power. Those people are the true conspiracy theorists.

If I think I'm smarter than the scientists, not taking the vaccine can get me killed, I can get you the odds if you're curious...
I'm not sure you want to go down that path since vaccinated people are now being hospitalized at a higher rate than those with natural immunity or those who never got the shot. And not to mention the unexplained heart issues from the vaccinated. But the problem all along was subsidizing covid related issues at a higher rate than non-covid. That issue is well documented and was a huge mistake regarding trust. But I digress, the issue is moot and no longer worthy of discussion.

Steve Addy said:
The shrieking about the end of the world due to the evils of man has been going on now for decades, yet it never seems to arrive.
Exactly right. I remember the coming Ice Age (and being from Maine, was looking forward to it), the rising seal levels, melting polar ice caps, peak oil forcing people into crappy high mileage cars, then the ozone layer was going to kill us all, more rising sea levels (while all the ones proselytizing owned beachfront houses), the demand for electricity reduction from those living in exorbitant mansions, and and now the EV era. You'll forgive me if I remain skeptical and laugh when people say the Sky is Falling (yet again).

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
The energy received from the Sun on Earth in a single day, estimated at 173,000 terawatts (TW), is approximately 277 times greater than the average daily energy generated from burning hydrocarbons, which is roughly 1.6 exajoules (EJ).

There would be no need for hydrocarbons if we developed better solar recovery technologies.
It's actually even better than that. You're mixing power and energy. The Earth receives ~173,000 TW. That's 4,152,000TWh/day from the sun vs 443TWh/day from our use of hydrocarbons. So.... ~10,000x more energy available. We're flooded with free energy. It's absolutely insane that in 2023 so many people BUY energy. It's like buying snow in Antarctica.... just go collect some.... plenty for everyone :) No need for better solar tech... what we have now works fine.

laugh when people say the Sky is Falling (yet again).
What would qualify as a 'sky is falling event(s)'?

This doesn't count?
  1. Intensifying and more frequent heatwaves leading to deaths and illnesses
  2. Rising sea levels, leading to coastal flooding and displacement of people
  3. Increasing frequency and intensity of wildfires, leading to loss of property and life
  4. Melting of Arctic sea ice, leading to disruption of ecosystems and livelihoods
  5. Increasing frequency and severity of hurricanes and typhoons, leading to loss of life and property damage
  6. Droughts, leading to crop failure and water shortages
  7. Increased ocean acidification, leading to coral bleaching and loss of marine biodiversity
  8. Glacier retreat and melting, leading to water scarcity and risk of landslides and floods
  9. Heat-related infrastructure damage and urban heat island effects
  10. Coastal erosion and loss of infrastructure due to sea level rise and storm surges
  11. Increased frequency and severity of floods, leading to displacement and property damage
  12. Agricultural productivity loss due to water scarcity and heat stress on crops and livestock
  13. Increased spread of infectious diseases, including mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue fever
  14. Oceanic dead zones due to increased nutrient runoff from agriculture and industry
  15. Increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events, such as thunderstorms, hailstorms, and tornadoes
  16. Loss of permafrost leading to soil instability and infrastructure damage
  17. Increasing water scarcity and conflicts over water resources
  18. Coral bleaching and mortality leading to loss of marine biodiversity and economic impacts on tourism and fishing industries
  19. Increased intensity and frequency of dust storms leading to health risks and damage to infrastructure
  20. Ecosystem degradation leading to loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services
  21. Increased frequency and intensity of El Niño and La Niña events, leading to extreme weather conditions in different parts of the world
  22. Ocean circulation changes leading to changes in weather patterns and ocean chemistry
  23. Changes in timing and intensity of seasonal rainfall leading to impacts on agriculture and food security
  24. Increased heat stress on marine organisms, leading to changes in distribution and abundance of marine species
  25. Loss of ice sheets and glaciers leading to sea level rise and changes in ocean currents
  26. Increased frequency and intensity of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms leading to property damage and loss of life
  27. Shifts in plant and animal distribution and abundance due to changing climate conditions
  28. Increased frequency and severity of hailstorms leading to crop damage and property damage
  29. Changes in ocean currents leading to impacts on marine ecosystems and fisheries
  30. Desertification and land degradation leading to loss of productivity and biodiversity
  31. Increased frequency and severity of droughts leading to water shortages and crop failure
  32. Changes in ocean pH and temperature leading to changes in marine food webs
  33. Increased frequency and severity of storm surges and coastal flooding
  34. Changes in Arctic and Antarctic sea ice leading to changes in ocean currents and weather patterns
  35. Permafrost thaw leading to increased greenhouse gas emissions and soil instability
  36. Changes in timing and intensity of spring snowmelt leading to impacts on water resources and ecosystems
  37. Decreased winter snowpack leading to water shortages and changes in ecosystem dynamics
  38. Decreased summer river flows leading to water shortages and impacts on agriculture and ecosystems
  39. Increased frequency and severity of heatwaves leading to heat-related illnesses and deaths
  40. Changes in precipitation patterns leading to changes in vegetation and ecosystem dynamics

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

There is actually more solar energy reaching the Earth's surface every hour than we use globally in an entire year. Obviously we can't (and wouldn't want to) cover the entire surface of the planet with solar panels- and the best ones are only about 25% efficient, but that gives a sense of the resource. It's an immense amount of energy, and solar PV is now the cheapest available.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Being from Maine, I'm sure you've heard of Jim Labrecque, former Maine State Energy Advisor. His understanding on solar is very much different from yours, only he offers actual math to back up his claim solar isn't the answer.
Nope, never heard of the guy. So I googled him and he sounds like he's every bit as big of a meatball as LePage, lol.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Nope, never heard of the guy. So I googled him and he sounds like he's every bit as big of a meatball as LePage, lol.

I never heard him say that but did hear him expound onto why solar and wind aren't good for Maine. Like him or not, and that's a purely a political thing depending on which side of the aisle you sit, but he backs up his conclusions with actual math (your linked accusation aside), which no one yet has to dispute because he can defend his position without getting all emotional. I am not disputing the energy delivered by the sun, but like EV cars, we're not there yet. And marginal technology coupled with private and government taxes merely because people see $$$ to be made and the power that comes along with it means we have a very long way to go before there are any meaningful or measurable results. Does it mean we shouldn't proceed in that direction? Obviously not as I drive a TDI and have solar, but anything so good it has to be mandated (remember the "vaccine"?) never works well, yet some keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. That's when I just smile, wave, turn and walk away, and let others have whatever religion they desire. I consider climate change, global warming, climate disruption, and now climate anxiety (yes, that's a thing being pushed) to be nothing more than that.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I never heard him say that but did hear him expound onto why solar and wind aren't good for Maine. Like him or not, and that's a purely a political thing depending on which side of the aisle you sit, but he backs up his conclusions with actual math (your linked accusation aside), which no one yet has to dispute because he can defend his position without getting all emotional. I am not disputing the energy delivered by the sun, but like EV cars, we're not there yet. And marginal technology coupled with private and government taxes merely because people see $$$ to be made and the power that comes along with it means we have a very long way to go before there are any meaningful or measurable results. Does it mean we shouldn't proceed in that direction? Obviously not as I drive a TDI and have solar, but anything so good it has to be mandated (remember the "vaccine"?) never works well, yet some keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. That's when I just smile, wave, turn and walk away, and let others have whatever religion they desire. I consider climate change, global warming, climate disruption, and now climate anxiety (yes, that's a thing being pushed) to be nothing more than that.
He's a big proponent of heat pumps, which I think is great. And it sounds like he's got a good amount of expertise in HVAC. I also agree with his position on the Quebec hydro energy corridor. But he's way off on wind and solar. Installed solar in Maine is up 10x in the five years since he ran for state senate and lost.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
"I'm not sure you want to go down that path since vaccinated people are now being hospitalized at a higher rate than those with natural immunity or those who never got the shot. And not to mention the unexplained heart issues from the vaccinated. But the problem all along was subsidizing covid related issues at a higher rate than non-covid. That issue is well documented and was a huge mistake regarding trust. But I digress, the issue is moot and no longer worthy of discussion."

Among younger people, the hospitalization rates are a wash because the rate is so low that it's statistical noise. Among those 65-75 in Minnesota the hospitalization rate is about double for those not current on their vaccinations. As for the heart attacks, no reputable source has claimed that and COVID may be the actual cause of any increase in the rate.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
That's when I just smile, wave, turn and walk away, and let others have whatever religion they desire. I consider climate change, global warming, climate disruption, and now climate anxiety (yes, that's a thing being pushed) to be nothing more than that.
The problem with religion is when zealots try to force their enlightenment on everyone else. This religion is a huge threat. Billions of lives depend upon the production of hydrocarbons, and these nutjobs want to end it, and with the assistance of tyrannical politicians, are "progressing" closer toward their goal every week.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
That's why I'm arguing that decarbonization needs to be voluntary and market driven to succeed. While the Tesla and solar fanboys/investors push their metro centric solution, in rural America where I live electric cars may not be viable for decades and our wind turbines generate twice the power of solar at half the price.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
That's why I'm arguing that decarbonization needs to be voluntary and market driven to succeed. While the Tesla and solar fanboys/investors push their metro centric solution, in rural America where I live electric cars may not be viable for decades and our wind turbines generate twice the power of solar at half the price.
I agree with your points.

My points are.

1.I think all tax credits and subsidies for EVs and solar need to end. Let it be the financial decision of the person at this point. Like the solar and vehicles need to enter price parity on their own at this point. They're established enough for them to meet market scrutiny.

2. Also renewable diesel should become the standard in the US phasing out #2. It's better for the vehicles but also the supply chain is literally all US based for us, we refine here and get the raw materials here. Don't need to worry about opec, Russia and etc from price craziness if we can produce the entire fuel chain domestically.

3. Nuclear, classic or smr needs to become a bigger part of our grid. All things produced domestically improves national security. But also no swings in pricing to hurt the consumer.

4. We don't need investments in EV / Solar tax credits. We could be pro business by helping domestic battery manufacturers get off the ground, get research to produce cheaper more effective batteries like sodium based. While also working with standard auto manufacturers to produce more fuel efficient ICE cars.

5. I think fuel economy standards should be reworked. The standards are wayyy less strict on larger vehicles, ever wonder why over 30yrs you've seen almost the complete elimination of anything but trucks and SUVs and its not JUST consumer preference. They have the tech through achates power for an f150 diesel to get cafe fuel economy of 40+ mpg and even a gas variant. So unless you work with the manufacturers for it to be better for them, why would they ever invest in it. Take someone averaging 17mpg in an f150, now give that same person an option for 40+, they're not going to complain about saving massive fuel costs each year....

Just my 2 cents

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We'd still be driving catless cars burning leaded gasoline if we let the market decide. Government oversight isn't always 100% evil.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
This doesn't count?
  1. Intensifying and more frequent heatwaves leading to deaths and illnesses...
According to the most recent IPCC Assessment Report (AR6), the following are its conclusions of current world climate conditions and notable changes since the start of the industrial revolution:

Temperature Extremes...

"It is virtually certain that hot extremes (including heatwaves) have become more frequent and more intense across most land regions since the 1950s, while cold extremes (including cold waves) have become less frequent and less severe, with high confidence that human-induced climate change is the main driver of these changes...." (Page SPM-10)

Precipitation Extremes...

"...The frequency and intensity of heavy precipitation events have increased since the 1950s over most land area for which observational data are sufficient for trend analysis (high confidence), and human-induced climate change is likely the main driver....." (Page SPM-10)

Clouds...

"...While major advances in the understanding of cloud processes have increased the level of confidence and decreased the uncertainty range for the cloud feedback by about 50% compared to AR5, clouds remain the largest contribution to overall uncertainty in climate feedbacks (high confidence)....." (Page TS-59)

Floods...

"...However, heavier rainfall does not always lead to greater flooding...." (Page 8-119)
"...there is low confidence in the human influence on the changes in high river flows on the global scale. Confidence is in general low in attributing changes in the probability or magnitude of flood events to human influence because of a limited number of studies and differences in the results of these studies, and large modelling uncertainties...." (Page 11-67)

Droughts...

"...The regional evidence on attribution for single AR6 regions generally shows low confidence for a human contribution to observed trends in meteorological droughts at regional scale, with few exceptions..."

Severe Local Weather Events...

"...observational trends in tornadoes, hail, and lightning associated with severe convective storms are not robustly detected due to insufficient coverage of the long-term observations...." (Page 11-192)

Extreme Wind Events...

"...the observed intensity of extreme winds is becoming less severe in the lower to mid-latitudes, while becoming more severe in higher latitudes poleward of 60 degrees (low confidence)...." (Page 11-106)

Tropical Storms...

...There is low confidence in most reported long-term (multidecadal to centennial) trends in TC frequency- or intensity-based metrics due to changes in the technology used to collect the best-track data...." (page 11-88)

Extratropical Storms...

"...There is low confidence in observed recent changes in the total number of extratropical cyclones over both hemisphere..." (TS-37)

Surface Winds Speed...

"...since the 1970s a worldwide weakening of surface wind has likely occurred over land, particularly marked in the NH, with low confidence in a recent partial recovery since around 2010....." (Page 2-62)

Fire Weather...

"...there is high confidence that concurrent heat waves and droughts have increased in frequency over the last century at the global scale due to human influence. There is medium confidence that weather conditions that promote wildfires (fire weather) have become more probable in southern Europe, northern Eurasia, the US, and Australia over the last century..." (Page 11-109)

Greening...

"...Based on available literature, CO2 fertilisation has been the main driver of the observed greening trend, but there is only low confidence in this assessment because of ongoing debate about the relative roles of CO2 fertilisation, high latitude warming, and land management, and the low number of models that represent the whole suite of processes involved....." (Page 3-71)

[bold emphasis added]

Regarding wildfires, the biggest factor in the extreme wildfires that have been seen recently is poor land management (excessive fuel loadings); weather conditions that are more conducive to fires (fire wather) is only a contributing factor.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a good summation of that latest IPCC report, courtesy of the NRDC:

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Can't wait for the polar ice caps to finally melt.... I'll have beach front property on top my little mountain.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
One off topic and one on topic reply from me.

I saw on the news that EV that catch fire causes health issues and it's very hard to put out. They also did a statistic that in 2022 the chances of a car fire for each class was 0.9% for EV, 1.5% for gas cars and 3% for hybrid. What they failed to mention the amount of cars that was out, 750k for the EV and 250 Million for gas cars.

So if the amount of EV gets to the amount of gas cars, the chances of catching fire will be ridiculous higher and not safe at all.

The off topic bit is here in AZ the weather is in the mid 80's going to mid 90's in mid May, we should be in 100+ temps by now.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
According to the most recent IPCC Assessment Report (AR6), the following are its conclusions of current world climate conditions and notable changes since the start of the industrial revolution:

Temperature Extremes...

"It is virtually certain that hot extremes (including heatwaves) have become more frequent and more intense across most land regions since the 1950s, while cold extremes (including cold waves) have become less frequent and less severe, with high confidence that human-induced climate change is the main driver of these changes...." (Page SPM-10)

Precipitation Extremes...

"...The frequency and intensity of heavy precipitation events have increased since the 1950s over most land area for which observational data are sufficient for trend analysis (high confidence), and human-induced climate change is likely the main driver....." (Page SPM-10)

Clouds...

"...While major advances in the understanding of cloud processes have increased the level of confidence and decreased the uncertainty range for the cloud feedback by about 50% compared to AR5, clouds remain the largest contribution to overall uncertainty in climate feedbacks (high confidence)....." (Page TS-59)

Floods...

"...However, heavier rainfall does not always lead to greater flooding...." (Page 8-119)
"...there is low confidence in the human influence on the changes in high river flows on the global scale. Confidence is in general low in attributing changes in the probability or magnitude of flood events to human influence because of a limited number of studies and differences in the results of these studies, and large modelling uncertainties...." (Page 11-67)

Droughts...

"...The regional evidence on attribution for single AR6 regions generally shows low confidence for a human contribution to observed trends in meteorological droughts at regional scale, with few exceptions..."

Severe Local Weather Events...

"...observational trends in tornadoes, hail, and lightning associated with severe convective storms are not robustly detected due to insufficient coverage of the long-term observations...." (Page 11-192)

Extreme Wind Events...

"...the observed intensity of extreme winds is becoming less severe in the lower to mid-latitudes, while becoming more severe in higher latitudes poleward of 60 degrees (low confidence)...." (Page 11-106)

Tropical Storms...

...There is low confidence in most reported long-term (multidecadal to centennial) trends in TC frequency- or intensity-based metrics due to changes in the technology used to collect the best-track data...." (page 11-88)

Extratropical Storms...

"...There is low confidence in observed recent changes in the total number of extratropical cyclones over both hemisphere..." (TS-37)

Surface Winds Speed...

"...since the 1970s a worldwide weakening of surface wind has likely occurred over land, particularly marked in the NH, with low confidence in a recent partial recovery since around 2010....." (Page 2-62)

Fire Weather...

"...there is high confidence that concurrent heat waves and droughts have increased in frequency over the last century at the global scale due to human influence. There is medium confidence that weather conditions that promote wildfires (fire weather) have become more probable in southern Europe, northern Eurasia, the US, and Australia over the last century..." (Page 11-109)

Greening...

"...Based on available literature, CO2 fertilisation has been the main driver of the observed greening trend, but there is only low confidence in this assessment because of ongoing debate about the relative roles of CO2 fertilisation, high latitude warming, and land management, and the low number of models that represent the whole suite of processes involved....." (Page 3-71)

[bold emphasis added]

Regarding wildfires, the biggest factor in the extreme wildfires that have been seen recently is poor land management (excessive fuel loadings); weather conditions that are more conducive to fires (fire wather) is only a contributing factor.

And none of that warrants action? The same report estimates the cost of climate change at ~$3 Trillion/yr and rising. How about we end ALL subsidies. Integrate that ~$3 Trillion cost into the cost of fossil fuels and let the markets sort things out? Nuclear power would be gone by the end of the month without price-anderson supporting it while renewables would surge as the cost of coal and gas doubles.

we're not there yet.
... what does 'there' look like? How will you know when we're 'there'? Solar and EVs are at ~5 - 10 year cost parity in most places now.

Seatbelts, airbags and speed limits are also mandates. Does that mean we're not 'there' yet with those? People are stubborn... sometimes you just have to make common sense stuff mandatory so society can function. Sad but true :(

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One off topic and one on topic reply from me.

I saw on the news that EV that catch fire causes health issues and it's very hard to put out. They also did a statistic that in 2022 the chances of a car fire for each class was 0.9% for EV, 1.5% for gas cars and 3% for hybrid. What they failed to mention the amount of cars that was out, 750k for the EV and 250 Million for gas cars.

So if the amount of EV gets to the amount of gas cars, the chances of catching fire will be ridiculous higher and not safe at all.

The off topic bit is here in AZ the weather is in the mid 80's going to mid 90's in mid May, we should be in 100+ temps by now.
Umm... that's not how percentages work.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Where did I say that, or even imply that?
Probably the fact you choose to typeset 'low confidence' in bold. Why not put the 'high confidence' events in bold? :unsure:

What ARE you saying?

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The confidence levels are seldom included in the discussion, especially "low confidence," which is why I emphasized that confidence level.

By the way, the quotes are from IPCC Working Group 1 report.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
The libertarian approach to pollution doesn't work- We kept the guy just uphill from me from maintaining his semis in his shed because he showed no means of even collecting the used fluids,, never mind the dirt floor in his shop. We are responsible for treating our sewage before we dump it in the river so we don't cause cholera outbreaks downstream. Thus the companies that cause climate change are responsible for the damage done.

And those damages and there costs are huge- Spent the winter here in Minnesota because the latest Cat 4 hurricane pretty much wiped out all the campgrounds in my southwest Florida stomping grounds. After the 100 MPH derecho of a year ago that decimated our trees winter came early and stayed late with record and near record snowfalls as well as heavy wet snow that damaged our trees even further. But didn't get that cold so the ground never really froze properly so plowing dirt roads was a nightmare as you tried to get the right blade depth setting so you plowed off the snow and not all the expensive gravel with it. With the high winds we plowed snow almost every day, whether it was new snow or just drifting. We blew out our city budget on plowing, and I was using more diesel in my small tractor than my TDIs because the roads were so bad I ventured out only once or twice a week to resupply. Commerce suffered too- City near me with a half dozen stations ran out of fuel several times as the transports couldn't reach them, and a car dealership chain in Sioux Falls had to run their own truck between blizzards to their dealerships in western South Dakota to keep them supplied with parts.

And climate change is just getting started- Last night we had unforecasted one inch hail just north of here, and severe weather is forecast the next few days. That means climate change is costing me more, in time every day moving all the vehicles in and out of the shop and cleaning up the damage. So while the current solar and electric car incentives favor the wealthy, we're going to need some better incentives to stop climate change from bankrupting us.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tied to gearheadgrrrl's post above, my homeowners insurance premium has increased 30% in one year, tripled in the last 5 or so. Two reasons: cost of construction, but also because insurance companies are paying out so much in storm and flood damage. We're paying for changes already, sometimes in ways that aren't immediately apparent.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
And just that's the tip of the insurance rate iceberg- Friends of mine in Florida have been paying high rates for years, after the latest Hurricanes the rate increases are so extreme that they're giving up home insurance if they can still find a company that will insure them!

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Why is the core of the planet still 10,000Deg? Hotter than the surface of the sun. After 4.5 billion years its still that hot? BS that its residual heat from planetary collisions of the past. A rock in space without heat production cools off from radiation leaving the body.

The earth is a MOTOR powered by the magnetic flux of the SUN! Previous warm periods on earth all lead with the HEAT and then the rise in CO2. The planet warms up from inside then volcanic activity increases and then releases the higher CO2. How do these climate change scientists explain that? They dont, they ignore it because it dont fit the narrative.

I fully agree that we need to do something other than burn something to move around, but battery and solar tech is not there yet. Personally we heat exclusively with wood and I still make biodiesel (been 20years of making the stuff).

Nuclear and renewable diesel makes sense. Batteries are 20 years out on being reliable tech that will work for the masses and whats the point of switching over to tech that is not ready just to dispose of it when something better comes along?

The religious zealots on the left need to calm down. There is no impending doom cycle coming with regards to climate. To say we have increasing weather events is to compare weather data from about 100 years is insane. 100years is a mere blip in geologic time. Records will continue to be broken as that is the result of observation. And yes we are still coming out of an ice age and the planet is 'greening' up due to slightly more CO2. We all like food so thats a good thing I would assume.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Everyone is entitled to their own belief set about why what's happening is happening, but it's still happening. Tornados in places that haven't seen them in decades, maybe ever, in months where they're not known to occur. Longer, harder, more frequent rainstorms. Drought. Flooding. You name it. And there are all kinds of consequences.