2.0TDI CR Smokes excessively

TDI
2.0TDI Golf
Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask for some advice now as I am this close to resell my TDI that i bought just a 6 weeks ago.
Its a low milage 2009 chiptuned Golf 2.0 TDi CR CBDC engine, this car generally has been a pain in my butt since day one.
Long story short:
The day after I drove the car home after buying it (3,5hr trip) I changed the oil. Previous owner claimed to have done it recently but I always change the oil after buying a veichle anyway) This engine should have around 5L of oil, I drained just under 7L and refilled 5L fully synthetic oil. ( I did check the oil before buying the car but as the seller kept it outside, it was raining like crazy and getting dark, I probably didnt spend enough time on this.)

A few days later, the car starts smoking like crazy, dieselsmelly white/blueish smoke, the turbo starts whining from engine idle speed, and the idle speed in general is higher than normal (just above 1k RPM) This might be the cause of the high oil level, IF the seller didnt overfill it (he claimed he didnt overfill it but I dont really believe him)

Firstly I thought the smoke would be DPF regens but it kept doing it over and over again, and some days it completely stopped smoking, turbo whine was gone and idle speed was around 750-700rpm

No CEL/DPF lights..
So I started with cleaning the EGR valve and throttle body, found quite a bit carbon buildup. I also found a blocking plate between the exhaust feed line and the EGR valve. So I removed that after cleaning and put assembled it all.
The next day I went for a test drive. Everything was now back to normal, turbo whine was gone, idle speed back to normal and no smoke at all. Throttle response was a lot better too. Good stuff, I thought..
So I drove without any issues for a month and now its smoking like crazy again and all the other symptoms are back. I use the car mainly for commuting, so it usually gets time to heat up properly and very litte city driving.

Ive got one fault code which is a bad glowplug but nothing else.

Other than the engine issues, the driver door cant be opened from outside the car, a few windows dont work now and the boot has a water leak, some knocking noises from the supsension has occured etc, nothing that I cannot fix.. But I havent worked a lot on newer TDi engines like this one..

I would appreciate any help as im sick of this car now and regret selling my old Passat b6 TDI :(

TDI
2.0TDI Golf
help?
If I unplug the MAF sensor the smoke and high idle is gone but resulting in lower engine power (not limp mode).....

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
Hello EA189 family TDIs are know for bad Injectors. Do you hear engine rattling ?

Please read injectors values with vids and post them here.

Also you should check the positive crankcase ventilation hose is not clogged and correctly evacuates the smoke of the crankcase. Do this test : engine running and warm, disconnect the PCV hose on turbo side and check for oily grey smoke coming out.

VW Turbo

TDI
2.0 TDI
With any NEW 2nds car, I always service everything within 30days of pickup.
With TDI remember people sell them without doing an a full injector service, because that tends to be expensive.
Also, VW quote a Diesel Injector to have a service life of 150,000 Kms.
Once your diesel system is operating effectively, then start on the other components.
One other major thing is the timing belt. VW like to change them out @ 60,000 Kms.
Add VAG Software U will also find useful...

Last edited:

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
EA189 family do have significant prematurely injection failures on both injectors and hpfp.

All your symptom ARE CLEARLY indicating a leaking injector :

Blue/grey smoke // Turbo spooling on idle // Idle above average // And the oil level getting up to 7Litres when you got it... The oil level increases because it get mixed with the diesel leaking from the Injector

The idle above normal value is because you have a or + leaking injector, dropping diesel in the combustion chamber then the engine is making power. We all know Diesel engine are commanded by injection and is always having lots of air (lean mix) (not like gasoline car that are commanded by air and spark plug

Last edited:

VW Turbo

TDI
2.0 TDI
Fuel pumps, injectors and pressure regulators are the three most commonly replaced fuel system components. That's why its important to Service a car from Top to Bottom once U take delivery...

TDI
2.0TDI Golf
Thanks for input and advice guys. Im pretty sure this issue is/can be connected to the chiptune that was done, I read this on this forum the other day:

So I have a 2009 MK6 Golf tdi its been remapped with EGR delete and was running fine for a long time but has now developed a very strange issue.... So I start the car and the engine will idle fine at about 800rpm with no smoke at all, I then drive out of the driveway to end of the road and suddenly the idle speed will now sit at about 1000rpm. I then drive on and white smoke can been seen out of the rear window the smoke seems worse at about 2000-2500rpm in every gear. I've done some of my testing and this is what I've found but still don't know the cause..

1: MAF sensor unplugged car runs perfect no white smoke or high idle: (not MAF as replaced with new Bosch and tested with friends working maf)
2: if engine stays below 2000rpm with MAF plugged in its fine no white smoke or high idle, soon as you go over 2000rpm and stop the idle jumpers up to 1000rpm and white smoke is back.
3: when white smoke appears and idle is high my MPG drops to 40mpg on motorway but I unplugged the maf and MPG goes up to 57mpg.

He never updated the post with the fix but what he describes here is excactly what my car is doing.

So im thinking I should start by removing the tune to see if that helps. I have checked the crankcase vent, it is not blocked. Havent checked injector values, will do asap. I just had a wrist surgery so will need to recover from that first.

There is no rattling, but I think the engine sounds more "rough" than other cr tdis ive driven but this one doesnt have the oil pump balancer shaft system unlike all the other tdis ive driven so that could probably be the reason why.
Sometimes on cold startup, mostly after being parked on a slight slope the engine makes this weird ticking noise that i thiiink could be a cam noise but its gone within a few minutes of running. Dont think that is related to the smoke issue anyway...

The cambelt was done last year just a few kms ago with reciept.
I havent changed the fuel filter yet but hopefully when I do there wont be any metal shavings in there lol.
My biggest fear with this engine is the HPFP ****ting itself.

To me, all this smoke crap looks a lot like the cars trying to regen the DPF over and over again really. Ironically enough my DPF light came on last night but it was gone this morning with no fault codes. I dont do much short journeys, mostly using this car for commuting but yes the DPF could be knackered. Or perhaps the DPF pressure sensor is bad?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Whatever other problems the car has, you can pretty much count on the DPF being toast. Sounds like you got a lemon. I'd cut my losses.

TDI
2.0TDI Golf
Right, yes, the DPF light has been on all day today so there is something wrong. Since the EGR is deleted already I might as well just get rid of the DPF too. How much of a pain is it to disassemble the DPF on this golf 6 2.0tdi? Do I need to lower the subframe? Ive seen some videos but some say its not needed but others say it has to be done to get enough space.
Generally this car has been taken well care of. The first owner who had the car the most of its years before me really spent a lot of money on it so it has all the styling you really want, full service book and a ****ton of receipts etc. But the guy I bought it from (he had it 3 years), didnt really seem to care and/or know how to treat a diesel car. They used it for shorter trips around town so it never got to stretch its legs even with the chip installed and now the flywheel is worn out. So my plan is to fix it and use it correctly and have fun...

Last edited:
TDI
2.0TDI Golf
Update:
The Golf is finally healthy now and it was the dpf. Got that sorted and its running perfect again! Thanks for your help and advice!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I pulled my dog out with my car on jackstands mit winter. Tool me 3 hours. I did not have to lower my subframe.

TDI
2.0TDI Golf
How in the hell did you do that? Was that on a golf 6? There was NO way I couldve removed mine without dropping the subframe at least 15cm, even with all the sensors unplugged etc. The engine room in these cars are absolutely useless regarding space.

Anyways, we pulled the dpf, cleaned it and put it back in and had the car tuned a little and its running better than new as its finally able to breathe properly. To sum this up, the smoke issue I had with this car was what I it to be which clearly was DPF regens at every startup.
Hope this thread might help others..