2.0l BEW, 6sp, GTB2260vk, FMIC Custom Build Thread

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
CAUTION... THERES MORE THAN 75 PICS ON THIS PAGE, DAIL-UP BE PREPARRED.

I have finally started my build thread...

Be patient with me as there is a lot of pics and info to put up. I am going to try to keep most of the pics on the first page, for this part of the build. I will still have some mods to finish though out this year. So stay tuned for more craziness.

Grab some popcorn and lube, see what happens.

Dyno sheet #1 at post 75

Thank you O.C.:D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project starts with a 2004 Jetta TDI I have owned since 10/04. I bought it with 3500 miles on the clock. I had intended this to be my daily driver.

Well that was a while ago. Once I started changing things, it only took a year before I started this project. I had started buying bolt-on products, but I was not impressed with fit, quality, and performance. So I decided if I wanted to do something the only way I would be happy was if I did it all myself.

1/09 I bought the PD150 head for $300 and sent it off to get ported, figured since my timing belt was about due to be changed I would just swap on the 150 head at the same time. That was a great idea, until I found the turbo and intake 2/09. I wasn't sure how I could get time to build everything, but started planning the header design. I spent a couple months planning and figuring out how the new system would fit and function. 5/09 I met with Bora parts and started talking about parts and availability. I started thinking about more power vs. the bottom end. Then more power vs. 02J 5 speed. Since I am the type of person that likes to do things once, I decided to do a full rebuild with Rosten rods and the 150 head. Of course it didn't stop there, 6/09 I was offered a new set of BHW 2.0l pistons for $220ea. I decided that I could do that as well, too good of a deal to pass up, they retail for $378 a piece. Now everything starts to snowball.

I found a local member that was looking for a complete performance setup. I was able to sell my old turbo, Boost Factory SMIC, custom I/C piping, intake manifold, TIP, transmission, DC st3+ clutch, Peloquin, etc. in one fail swoop. This opened up the 6 speed conversion option, so I called Bora Parts and had him set me up. They had not made it to the US yet but were arriving shortly.

07/03/09: Drove the car up to Fixum Haus and the old parts were stripped off, and mock-up commenced
08/05/09: Engine and trans were removed, and torn down
08/10/09: Transmission arrived
09/08/09: Engine dropped off at machine shop.
10/20/09: Engine reassembled
10/25/09: Engine and Trans mounted in the car
11/05/09: Car is loaded on a flat deck and moved 20 mile to the weld shop
11/15/09: The car started and drove again.

A big Thanks goes to Rich and Marcell of FIXUM HAUS, my car hung out in their 3 bay shop for 4 months. There is no way I could have done this without them. They are some of the best TDI mechanics in the PNW and beyond.

Teaser...

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TURBO:

I had been searching for a good solid replacement, my previous setup just didn't make me happy. Finally after reading and searching for the best option I came across this unit. A GTB2260vk from an Audi 3.0l V6 TDI, the boys over in Europe had been toying with them and they seem pretty solid. I was able to find one on Ebay last year. I won it and prayed that it would make it to me. A few weeks later it showed up. Sweet. Now what do I do with it...

Here it is next to a stock BEW KP39. I think it is just a bit bigger.:D

What do you do once you get a new toy???

Here is a shot of the newer generation VNT mechanism. This style VNT allows for infinite clocking of both the turbine and compressor housing. No need to drill/index the vnt since it isn't connected to the housing.

The downfall is that this turbo come from the factory with an electronic actuator, that has to be switched to a vacuum model. Pretty easy. Change the vane lever to one from a vacuum style turbo, and re-mount the vacuum actuator to the GTB. Cutting and welding required.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
HEADER mock-up:

Here is the first mock-up of the header. It is made from 1.25", sch40, 304l SS pipe. Flanges are .5" mild steel. I used 12-90* ell, 60" of 1.25" pipe and the two flanges to build this.

I know sch 40 pipe is way overkill for this, I went this route to keep velocity up. The I.D. matches my flanges and head. I know .065 wall would work. But I like to be difficult.

This is were I oriented the turbo flange to the head flange. It took me a couple attempts to get it right.

Once the orientation was set we started cutting and tacking it all together.
This Euro SDI intake manifold provides its own challenges. It has much longer bolts than a pd150 intake, and takes up a lot more space. Special attention to bolt access was very important in building this piece.

You can see the extra 90* to hold the flange in place while fitting up.

All tacked up and ready for a test fit. We knocked this out in about 6hrs.

Here is the first fit up in the car... It fit. It was tight but it fit.

After we had the design ironed out, we went to our welding shop and cut it all back apart. The shop that my car was at was not really setup for the welding we needed to do. Everything was marked, cut, prepped, and tacked back into place. This ate up a bunch of time. Since I do not have a shop of my own, I could not do everything the way I wanted to the first time, but when people let you use their shop and tools, its hard to complain.

We got it all together and started welding it out, until we ran out of argon... Some reason we couldn't find a weld supply house open at 2:00 on a Sunday morning.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
HEADER weld out:

I would like to thank Harry the owner of the shop we did our welding in. He builds custom speedway/flat track motorcycles, and has set himself up with my dream shop, it was an honor to be allowed to work in such a fantastic facility.

Once we got our Argon we were set.

We cut each primary off and welded them out. Each weld has 3 passes, fully back purged.

Welded the merge collector

Smoothed the inside and bead blasted it.

With all the primaries back in place we built the spike. This keeps the volume of the primary constant until it merges with the adjacent cylinder.

Welded out and cleaned up.

More late night welding. Getting close now...

An artistic waste of time. Purdy colors

After some time in the blast cabinet.

Its still in there.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Header finished & I/C mock-up:

The last bolt up before ceramic coat and engine assembly.

Factory oil return line.

The next two pic show how the compressor outlet was modified.

After ceramic coating and final engine assembly

Now on to the FMIC... I based my design off of Allards PD150 FMIC kit. I fell in love with its short pipes.

This is the core I started with. Core is 24"x11"x3" with 2.5" inlet/outlet.

As you can see here. I cut one of the end tanks off and flipped it over. Cut off the original inlet and sealed it up.
I used an aluminum 90* cut back to flow into the intercooler. My radiator has been shimmed back 1.25", this I/C sits where the radiator used to sit.

This shows the bend into the I/C and old inlet.

After everything got welded out and a MAP sensor bung installed. I took it back to the car for fit up.
I also trimmed .75" off the back of the crash bar. Everything bolted in place.

At this point I was at a stand still on the I/C until the engine went in. I wasn't sure if the inlet would clear the bumper the way it is shown in the pic.

A shot of some of the trimming needed to get the piping through the core support.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ENGINE, HEAD, INTAKE:

There are limited pics of the engine build itself... I am not one for taking pictures while I work and didn't think about it til it was assembled.

The basis of this rebuild was to prevent catastrophic failure down the road. The engine had 95,000 mile on it. It was in perfect running condition. The camshaft had typical PD lobe wear, it probably would have lasted another 10-20k miles.

The build consisted of:
2.0l BHW pistons w/ceramic coated domes, on Rosten rods,
All bearings, seals, and stretch bolts replaced or upgraded, ARP main studs
New oil pump, timing belt kit.

Ported ARL head, ARL head bolts, uprated inner springs, Ti retainers,
BEW camshaft w/lifters, TT stem seals

Crank was checked, measured, polished, then balanced.
Pistons and rods were weight matched
Balancer, flywheel, and pressure plate were balanced to match.

Pistons were not modified. I could not make that happen in my time frame. After blueprinting we came up with a compression ratio of 18.4:1, most of the drop was from the BHW pistons alone. I would have liked to have dropped a bit lower, but it is better than stock.

Here is the head after preliminary porting and surfacing. Note that this is not what the finished ports look like. Porting was done locally by a Porsche speed shop.

Exhaust port with a little plug for the guys at FIXUM HAUS

A shot of the intake, head and start of the header
The intake was mildly ported and port matched to the head. I didn't want to put too much energy into this intake because I was still unsure if I could make everything work together. I will probably play with it a bit more as time goes by.

Another shot of the exhaust port

A shot of the intake side

Piston, retainers, stem seals

Magnified dome shot

Everything back together

Rear main, 240mm flywheel, DC stage 3+ were mounted to the engine, from there it was mated to the Bora Parts DRW 6 speed and rolled back in the car. The DRW conversion was pretty straight forward, the kit was nice and complete.

Fits like a dream

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
FMIC & PIPING:

With the engine and trans back in the car, it was time to move to the weld shop and work on the rest of the piping.

I/C piping is 2.5" .065" wall stainless. Yes overkill, I know, its my thing.

Here is the mock-up of the lower I/C pipe.

I ended up cutting my I/C inlet back a bit. I didn't like how the bumper fit, pic below shows the difference.

Upper pipe in and welded

Custom ports for boost gauge, etc.

Front shot with foam in place

Battery moved to the trunk, relocated power distribution box

Shot of intake with anti-shudder valve, ie the best racepipe ever and it has the same plug as the stock BEW asv, I had to re-wire it, but it is fully operational.

Lower pipe all welded out

Clearance between Evo skid plate post and piping, yes its tight but that section of pipe does not move.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
More FMIC PIPING & D/P:

A shot from underneath, with everything in it's place.

Looks pretty inconspicuous
The sag in the lower valance is not from the I/C, its from sitting in the garage for over 3 months.

Here you can see where I ended up changing the piping as mentioned above, I fit the bumper with the longer inlet and had to trim a lot of bumper. I decided I did not tlike the way it fit, so it was shortened and a dbl. 45* offset replaced the silicone 90*. With the current setup I would have barely trimmed anything off at all.

Fit up of the bumper is spot on

The valance opening even directs air toward the I/C
With everything back in place you can hardly tell there is a FMIC back there, much less a 3" thick I/C

Here is the downpipe...
It starts with 2.5" .065 wall stainless, after 135* it increases to 3" and runs the rest of the way out. I tried to run a full 3" d/p but had to cut the 90* off tangent to get it to fit, I don't like cutting of tangent. So I decided this was the best route for me.

Cell pic

o2 sensor installed

Installed with the trans out

I lost my kitty.
Currently the exhaust is 3" to the axle, and 2.5" over it. I did not have the muffler I want, so I will finish that up this spring.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TIP & AIR FILTER:

Getting close.

All of the welding for this project was done by a good friend of mine, Justin, he also has a TDI. I could not have done any of this without him, and his families support. Thanks Justin.

Here he is welding out the 3" TIP, it looks long in this pic because there is a length of pipe tacked on the end of it to help with back purge.

This is the Donaldson PSD 08 airfilter assembly I chose to run. The stock style box would not work for me. I spent a day scouring the interwebz, and came across this unit. Here is a link to a PDF on it...http://www.nbc-filters.com/PowerCore/donaldson_powercore.pdf

Here is an end veiw of the filter element. Looks like corrugated cardboard.

Here it is all split apart. There is a secondary safety filter in the back of the housing, It is used to keep dust out of the inake tract while changing filters. The main filter is about 8" long. There is probably 2-3 stock TDI air filters in this one. The inlet end of the housing has a large particle ejector, with a vacuator valve.

Everything mounted in the car. The glow plugs are not hooked up at this time, during this build the ceramic recall came out. I had already bought the steal plugs, but did not have the flash for them yet. The flash has been taken car of now.

The gray PVC canister is my temporary vacuum ball. I call it my ghetto bling.

A shot from the other side.

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy moly. I have the base of the thread started...

I am saving this post for a few of the final details, ie. battery relocation, skid plate/side skirt, etc.

Keep checking back. I will be editing for a couple days

O.C:D

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
It looks very well thought threw and well done. Congrats on all the work you have accomplished and the great results.:cool:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Awesome work and thread Travis.... tnx for posting this...

Your car is one of a kind.... Congrad!!!

Can't wait to see it next time I am in Potland,

Have you dynoed her yet?

O.C.TDI said:
Holy moly. I have the base of the thread started... Now I get to go back and fill in the holes....

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Realy realy nice build! I think every part looks great, properly tuned and it will run like hell. Biggest possible injectors I hope...

//Theo

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'll vouch for the fact that Travis does NOTHING half assed... The car is amazing, smooth, quiet, and powerful!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Clean built!

why are there different stem seals for in an exhaust side?

turbo johan

Veteran Member
Really nice build!!
What kind of air filter did you use, look like John Deere filter to me.

Keep up the good work!

Johan

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
Good looking work Travis! It is good that you did all of the engine support at the same time as the turbo, this is something I need to start working on also.

It is also great to see another person pushing the envelope with one of these turbos!

Congratulations.

David

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Rub87 said:
Clean built!

why are there different stem seals for in an exhaust side?
Honda seals. Old trick for slightly better resistance to heat. The exhaust ones are rated much higher. I did a couple of mine this way. Great work. I was wondering how this engine worked out. I havent seen it since it was an infant. I like it!

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Dyno's will be coming in the near future. Lots of them. I am in the middle of my break-in miles, I am running less than 20 psi right now. This is still my daily and want to give it as long a life as possible.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Awesome, love the setup! really need a GTB in my life!! lol

I've got a few PD130 (same as 150) head kicking around to the guy who asked!! Shipping was £80 next day to the US.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
O.C.TDI said:
This is the Donaldson PSD 08 airfilter assembly I chose to run. The stock style box would not work for me. I spent a day scouring the interwebz, and came across this unit.
Ha! Looking at that post this morning before you added the notations I thought that looked like the filter element in the Ford severe duty airbox I added to my 01 PSD. Was going to ask what it was from but figured you'd post it at some point. Those style filters are known to do their thing very well with long life.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Honeydew said:
Ha! Looking at that post this morning before you added the notations I thought that looked like the filter element in the Ford severe duty airbox I added to my 01 PSD. Was going to ask what it was from but figured you'd post it at some point. Those style filters are known to do their thing very well with long life.
That's what I was going for... Really good filtration, and sound mitigation. My other easy option was a open element filter. They are just too dang loud. I don't want noise, I love the silence of driving a diesel. At this point the car is not noticeably louder inside than a stock PD. I have been told it sounds pretty wicked outside, but I haven't heard it when on the go pedal.

O.C.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Absolutely awesome sir! It seems like you left nothing out. Enjoy your hard work, and get us some dyno's once you finish breaking it in!

I wish I would have had enough patience to deal with a few setbacks, and build something only 1/2 as nice as yours is now. :cool: