2.0l BEW, 6sp, GTB2260vk, FMIC Custom Build Thread

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
It looks like The plots don't quite line up. looks like todays 230 run need to slide to the left about 200-300 rpm.

Even with that compensated for there is a ton of low end power missing.

O.C.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
So you swapped from your ported head to a stock head and lost major low end hp and some moderate hp throughout the entire range? Hmm, I'm kinda surprised you lost so much low end honestly...

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
It does not surprise me that the extra restriction of an unported head has a strong negative effect on torque. Our TDI engines love easier air flow through head.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
The definitive testing information in this thread is pure gold. :)THANKS TRAVIS!

chapelhill

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Ibiza pd13- 2260vk Turbo etc.., Merc E280cdi
I presume you have map based smoke limited tune.
are you reaching full boost in the lower rpm?
I cannot see ported head having more effect at lower rpm.
The only benefit should be pumping losses and more air will help combustion process effectively advancing timing a little and combustion efficiency.
I would like to believe the benefit is as large, but I have doubts.

Many, many thanks for your contributions and I look forward to the next installment.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
I presume you have map based smoke limited tune.
are you reaching full boost in the lower rpm?
I cannot see ported head having more effect at lower rpm.
The only benefit should be pumping losses and more air will help combustion process effectively advancing timing a little and combustion efficiency.
I would like to believe the benefit is as large, but I have doubts.

Many, many thanks for your contributions and I look forward to the next installment.
eeuhhh better flow thru the head means you can inject more fuel with no boost so you can create more exhaust flow to spool the turbo better...
means more low down power...

JW

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Cam is still the Colt Stage2 pd. Hasn't changed since it went in last year.

Timing was adjusted to make up for light break pressures on the injectors. -1.0 is were I left it after the head swap. This last trip to the dyno I got double booked with another club member playing with his beamer, so we were a bit rushed. I didn't get to run a second file like I wanted. I would have like to also see how static timing affects things but I guess I will do that next time.

O.C.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I tested with different cam timings in my AVF passat. First run with -3kw was 163WHP and 382nm WTQ. Second with 0KW was 158WHP and 385nm WTQ. Third and fourth run were done in a row to see if it was heatsoaking with +2kw and it had 154WHP and 374nm. Runs 3 and four were identical so heat wasn't causing the power drop. On the road the car felt less peppy with the cam retarded so yesterday I changed the cam to around -3.5kw.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Made it to the track yesterday for the annual Bug In at PIR. This is a fairly large air cooled event in Portland. The weather was awesome 80* and sunny.

I managed to walk away with this... And $160
[/url][/IMG]

Great day at the track. I managed to take 1st place in the bracket racing and my buddy with his IDI "frankenmotor" in an 81 Caddy took 3rd.

For a car update...
My 034 street density dogbone is toast. I will be swapping it out this week before I hit the track next weekend.

While waiting on parts for my car I have been helping my IDI buddy work on our IDI Scirocco race car. Here is a link over to that build. Scirocco Build At the moment we are gonna keep the engine in the truck for the rest of the season and continue building the race car over the winter, we hope to debut the Rocco next year with a whole bunch of craziness.

My pistons are at the machinist and should be done in the next week or two.
Head is being worked on. As always all this stuff takes forever. I am hoping to be able to swap it all over and have it back up and running before I go back to work in a month.

O.C.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Nice work! Looks like that thing suffered a lot of track ability with that stock PD150 head on there?

My best run so far (less mods, unadjusted tune on bad bioD) was 14.90 @ 95 mph.

Looks like you need to get that head back on! Keep up the great work! I will PM you about the ARP head studs I think my car needs!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
My 034 street density dogbone is toast. I will be swapping it out this week before I hit the track next weekend.
Huh, that's cause 034 is junk. I don't mean to start garbage in your thread, but I've seen nothing but constant FAIL out of all of their mounts. I don't know anyone who has a good 034 mount that has lasted much more than 3 yrs and 60k miles. IIRC, you had the whole 034 set? Check the other two, mine were trash when I checked them at less than 50k miles.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Huh, that's cause 034 is junk. I don't mean to start garbage in your thread, but I've seen nothing but constant FAIL out of all of their mounts. I don't know anyone who has a good 034 mount that has lasted much more than 3 yrs and 60k miles. IIRC, you had the whole 034 set? Check the other two, mine were trash when I checked them at less than 50k miles.
I agree Travis. I've re-replaced the 034 full set for more than one customer already with oem mounts. On both sets, the 034 street density mounts with less that 30k on them were WAY WAY softer than the brand new OEM Transmission, Engine, and Dogbone mounts.

If your 034 dogbone is wasted, chances are that the other two are as well.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright... Latest update.

It's been a busy summer.

My big valve head is still at the machine shop... Should be getting close in the next couple of weeks.

Got a new set of BHW pistons and had them flycut to allow room for the larger valves and had them cut .5mm deeper. We did not alter the bowl at all.

Then sent them out and had the domes coated.

Once the head is done I hope to install these shortly after.

I replaced my 034 street density mounts of with BFI 65duro mounts. The 034's dogbone was trashed, the rest might have made it another 10-20k miles. The BFI's are nice. I am extremely anal about vibration and rattles, and I have no complaints about them they are firm but there are no new rattles or vibrations.

A couple weeks ago my clutch started acting up. Engagement was close to the floor before, then it got worse and some extra noise appeared when I would put it in gear. I got ahold of John at Southbend and had a new 29# flywheel with st3+ clutch and flywheel. He was awesome to work with and expedited my order. I didn't get any pics of the new clutch, it was late and I wanted to get the thing in and out of the shop.

Here is a pic of my old DC st3+
I don't have much to complain about with it it held up pretty dang good for some of the abuse I put it through. Think 3000 RPM clutch dump on slicks.:eek:

You can see I separated the friction material from the disc. The sprung hub was pretty much trash as well.

Spent the next week bedding in the new clutch. It slipped on me 2-3 times around 650-750 miles, I was leaning on it fairly hard passing some yahoo's that couldn't drive the speed limit. By 850 miles I was able to pour the coals to it and it hasn't slipped since.

I have to say. This is a fantastic package. Buttery smooth engagement. smoother shifts. better harmonics while driving. The extra flywheel weight is awesome, the engine hangs a little during shifts thus almost matching the RPM by the time you change gear. My only complaint thus far is chatter in neutral. I am going to give it 5-10k miles and see if it lessens. My old DC was almost silent in neutral but had more noise under low load in 1-3.

A little glamour shot on a road trip.

This last weekend was pretty much the last VAG show of the year locally. My wife and I went and raced, she ran the JSW and I ran mine. It was her first time racing and the first time for the JSW to hit the track. We got to go side by side the first race. She didn't do too bad for her first time. She pulled a 18.46@75mph. I was proud that she stepped up and ran, now she wants to go more.:rolleyes:

I did pretty well. I turned a 14.27@101.5 on street tires. This is pretty much exactly what I turned last year on slicks with the ported head. I have been running all summer in the 14.5-14.6 range, the only change was the clutch and flywheel.

I got beat out of first round eliminations by .034 seconds, so I got pushed into the Run Tuff category. I stay in to the end, and on my last pass I missed my shift into 4th and got beat out.
I still walked away with this plaque but no money:(

O.C.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Very nice, thanks for the updates. Those pistons look great too. Can't wait to see how your head will do, especially after hearing it was being ported pretty much to the max.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Been wondering whats been happening with your pd... Thanks for the update always enjoy reading your thread..

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Last edited:

LeadSSled

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Passat TDI
Very nice. It will be interesting to see the improvements with the new head.

Great work!! 100+ trap speeds should be 13s tho!
I bet he was on street tires. That 2.334 60-foot time is what is keeping him out of the 13's. Some sticky tires should get his 60 near or below 2 seconds and that would put him in the 13's fo sho!

Again - Nice work!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Traction is overrated! lol. Good progress. I keep checking in and gathering information. Wishing I had the funds to do this kindof stuff to mine lol.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Hmmmm. So how did Rich get that 13.6 ET in that beetle?

Clearly you have the faster car. But then again N20 can make a slight difference ;)

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Sweet car.

Not sure if others are joking, but the first 60 feet is everything in drag racing..

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Sweet car.

Not sure if others are joking, but the first 60 feet is everything in drag racing..
I agree very nice car. Excellent and consistent 60 foot times is the drag racers goal, especially if you're a bracket racer. If you have the power, you could try and make it up on the top end but I would rather cut that good 60 foot. Unfortunately, traction plays a big part in achieving those killer 60 foots.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Running drag slicks with these cars usually results in drivetrain parts left on the track
I remember the old rally golf when Jon Hamilton drove it with upgraded axles, 02J with a Peloquin, 4 puck clutch, etc. When he launched on slicks it hooked but ended up breaking not far off the line :eek:

With these cars, it's much more wallet-friendly to not launch really aggressively and try to lower ET with more power opening up down the track...

What we need is more whp....getting a great 60ft is fine but you have to back that up with hp at the 330ft, the 1/8th & all the way to finish