2.0 TDI into toyota pickup

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I have seen plenty of threads on older TDIs going into old toyota pickups. But how about the newer 2.0 CR?

Is it much more difficult?

Will it bolt up to a toy 5 speed?

I have a Toyota pickup based RV. Mine is a low miles 22RE that runs like new, so I would never do it, but I would love to see a TDI powered version of one.

I have talked to a number of people about it and they all say, no, not enough power. It needs a bigger diesel.

The CR makes more hp and double the torque of the 22RE. How could it not work fine?

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
It should have excellent power! Those people don't know the capabilities if vw diesels. Any 4 cyl vw adapter plate will work. I think Fast forward automotive does wiring harnesses for the common rails

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Even the older 2.0 and 1.9 tdi motors can make equal to what a stock 4bt can make at half the weight and at a much more road friendly rpm range. It also won't require heavy duty 1ton transmission components.

The tdi is a great motor for any small pick up or suv.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
A Toyota Sunrader shorty (18 ft) can get mid/high teens with the typical 22RE/slushbox drivetrain. The manuals, driven very conservatively might sniff 20mpg, but that's about it.

Given this what do you folks with toy pickup TDI repower experience think the CR 2.0 with a 5 speed might do? Do you think 30 would be out of the question? I think if you lightened one up, got all the crap off the roof, it could. I actually have plans for a rear bumper boat tail bike garage for my Sunrader that I might get around to some day.

Such a thing might help a bit as well, although I suspect the weight would offset the aero gain, given the fact that these things rarely spend much time at speeds where aero mods really pay off.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
When it comes to diesel engine swaps gearing is everything. There are 4 runner swaps with 110 to 120 hp 1.9t diesels making 30 mpgs on the freeway.

Choose tire size and gearing to keep rpms under 3000 rpms at 75 mph.

The older diesels seem to get better mpgs than newer diesels, way to go epa, clean diesel = less efficiency. I don't even know how that makes sense.

Guys with mtdi 1.9t motors usually boast more power, more mpgs and more simplicity than the electronic controlled motors.

I personally like the bhw motors from the 04 and 05 passats best, 170hp and 300ft lbs torque out of the box with only a tune. Simple wiring too.

I dont see 30mpgs being unobtainable, just dont be running 28 inch tires on 4:10 gears and expect it at 80mph.

4:10s on 33 inch tires would get you much closer.

I have no experince with the newer cr motors. My budget keeps me playing with older tdi motors. Luckily they are proven to be efficient and reliable.

Last edited:

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
The vw CR engines use The EDC17 ECU. IT would be harder to adapt IT to The New car because of more complicated electronics. I would stick to The older EDC16 pumpe-duse engines considering The ease to make IT work.

Trimis de pe al meu CLT-L29 folosind Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen plenty of threads on older TDIs going into old toyota pickups. But how about the newer 2.0 CR?
Is it much more difficult?
Will it bolt up to a toy 5 speed?
I have a Toyota pickup based RV. Mine is a low miles 22RE that runs like new, so I would never do it, but I would love to see a TDI powered version of one.
I have talked to a number of people about it and they all say, no, not enough power. It needs a bigger diesel.
The CR makes more hp and double the torque of the 22RE. How could it not work fine?
My guess is the guys that say it won't work do not know anything about diesels. :p I know the 22RE well, have owned several, worked on dozens of them over the years. The TDI is certainly capable of besting one. Diesels do more with less. My Sprinter has a 2.1L 4 cyl in it!

The BHW TDI makes about the same power as the CBEA/CJAA 2.0L CR TDIs, and is simpler to use. But the VEs can be tweaked easily enough to come pretty close, and they are simpler yet, and lots of people have already put them in Toyota trucks.

Toyota of course has (and had) diesels in their trucks. I had one (an '82), But they left us out of diesels after about '86, aside from the Hino trucks, so we never got to experience their modern DI turbo diesels but I am sure they are pretty good too.