2.0 Gen 1 fix approved

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
A fix for 98% of eligible 2.0L TDI vehicles in United States.

This is a big deal. A very welcome outcome.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray

DieselCk

TDI
97 Jetta (250K Miles, resting), 99 Beetle (269K), 05 Jetta (105K, cream of the crop), 2011 Jetta (125K), 81 Rabbit Diesel (325K+, Gone)
VOLKSWAGEN STATEMENT REGARDING 2.0L TDI VEHICLES WITH GENERATION 1 ENGINES

Jul 27, 2017

“Volkswagen is pleased that it has received regulatory approval to offer affected customers in the United States an approved emissions modification (AEM) for approximately 326,000 Generation One 2.0L TDI vehicles with automatic and manual transmissions. This important milestone means that an approved emissions modification is now available for more than 98 percent of eligible 2.0L TDI vehicles in the United States.
Eligible customers will be notified that they can receive a modification free of charge at their preferred dealership if they want to keep their vehicles.”
These vehicles include:

• VW Jetta TDI (Model Years 2009 – 2014)
  • VW Jetta SportWagen TDI (Model Years 2009-2014)
  • VW Golf TDI (Model Years 2010-2014)
  • VW Beetle TDI and VW Beetle Convertible TDI (Model Years 2012 – 2014)
  • Audi A3 TDI (Model Years 2010 – 2013)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sweet. That should shut up all the "experts" who insisted that there would be no fix for the gen 1 cars.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
So much for the "there will never be a fix" crowd.
Cant wait to read their future posts. Should be fun.
I'll stick my neck out. The reason I thought there would never be a fix for Gen 1 is because VW's final submittal deadline for a fix was Jan 27, 2017.

Guess they must have been waiting for EPA/CARB to approve it for 6 months now.....

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Sweet. That should shut up all the "experts" who insisted that there would be no fix for the gen 1 cars.
Still not really a proper fix, more like a bandaid to a problem, or duct tape for a leaking pipe. The NOx output will still be around 3-4 times higher than the standard for Tier 2 Bin 5.

Your vehicle was originally certified to EPA and CARB emission standards. After the modification, your vehicle’s emissions will be reduced but will still be higher than the emission standard to which it was originally certified.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Still not really a proper fix, more like a bandaid to a problem, or duct tape for a leaking pipe. The NOx output will still be around 3-4 times higher than the standard for Tier 2 Bin 5.

An approved fix is a fix. I wouldn't think NOx or other emissions are a huge concern for someone who modified their cummins to make 1000 hp! :D

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I didn't expect it to happen either, but I'm quite pleased our CPO sportwagen is now tin cans. We replaced it with a BMW diesel, and seems like a much better car aside from the transmission. Perhaps if our VW hadn't been in an undisclosed wreck before we bought it I'd feel differently. I still love my old golf, and I'm going to keep it running as long as feasible.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The letter says the fix applies to manual transmission vehicles. I guess that excludes DSG transmission vehicles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The DSGs are also approved. Customers get a separate letter. Looks like they'll be reflashing the transmission as well.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Probably depends on what generation of 3.0 you're talking about. I bet it's six months more for the Generation 1.
they are not even planing on sumbitting a fix for Generation 1 3.0L TDI's until later this summer, they did submit a fix for the Gen2 3.0L's in April-June depending on subtype.

I doubted the'd come up with a fix before the last possible moment (March 2018 final deadline), am happy that I was wrong.. wouldent have changed the fact that my Golf was no longer appropriate for my family size, the deciding factor for my buyback was a pregnancy test, not an emissions test :p

Wonder how much they nerfed these? The Adblue cars been pretty good post-fix but I kinda expected the Gen1's 2.0L to be the most dramatic of em all

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
I wonder how they will handle applying the fix to vehicles which currently have a cracked DPF?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
DPF is one of the replacement items. I bet it won't be an issue.
On a 2009 sure, since it gets one anyway. On an '11, will they make you pay for a new dpf and egr (if defective/broken currently) in order to get their fix or would they to have eat that in order to make the car compliant?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm guessing, but I think they'd just replace the DPF with the new one on an '11. Not sure what they'll do with '09s, but they'll probably just update the exhaust on those.