1Z Into a 1986 Golf Diesel

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Here's a big update. I have come to the conclusion that My MkII is in too good of shape to perform the swap. In addition, I don't have another DD to use in place of the car when the MkII is down for the conversion.

One thing has lead to another, and this is the car that I will be swapping the goods into:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=4436535

Now the whole process has gotten a bit more difficult as I will now have to fab up mounts and get cabrio harness with CE2. What do you guys think?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
No car is too good to recieve a swap. In fact the best cars should be ones to get the swap so that the final product will be that much better.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Could someone please comment on the best clutch assembly for mk2 tdi?

I'm just curious if most people maintain hydraulic or somehow convert to manual.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
What is the question?

What style Cltch actuator should I use? hydraulic or somehow convert to manual

Its easy to do either with Factory parts but I like the fitment of the hydraulic and the ease to get replacement parts.

I've known people who have done the cable 02A/J and eventually gone with a Hydraulic setup.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
i was just curious about what parts were needed to do the hydraulic clutch - and from what model - figured it might be useful to put in your big list. :)

Spulen81

Veteran Member
myke_w said:
i was just curious about what parts were needed to do the hydraulic clutch - and from what model - figured it might be useful to put in your big list. :)
You can use parts from a Passat or Corrado. You basically need a pedal cluster Passat TDI if you going electronic TDI. You can use any Passat or rado pedal cluster if doing a M-TDI. You also need the clutch master bracket from any non-abs car I listed. It basically bolts on to the back of your brake booster. I used a Passat clutch master cylinder, hose and slave.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Spulen81 said:
You can use parts from a Passat or Corrado. You basically need a pedal cluster Passat TDI if you going electronic TDI. You can use any Passat or rado pedal cluster if doing a M-TDI. You also need the clutch master bracket from any non-abs car I listed. It basically bolts on to the back of your brake booster. I used a Passat clutch master cylinder, hose and slave.

Thanks - that clears it up - I think It would be useful to add that to G60ING's big list :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll add it later this morning.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
So, I am trying to allocate the parts required to finish this swap. I have come upon a couple of MKIII Jettas for really low prices. My thoughts were using these as parts cars. They are gassers but, they should have some of the big parts that I need to finish the swap.

However I have a few questions:

-Will the MKIII Jetta chassis wiring harness fit my MKII 4-door Golf?
-The e-brake cables?
-The Axles?

I need the chassis harness, clutch system & pedal, axles, K-member and other small parts to finish the swap. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
phazersonstun said:
So, I am trying to allocate the parts required to finish this swap. I have come upon a couple of MKIII Jettas for really low prices. My thoughts were using these as parts cars. They are gassers but, they should have some of the big parts that I need to finish the swap.

However I have a few questions:

-Will the MKIII Jetta chassis wiring harness fit my MKII 4-door Golf?
-The e-brake cables?
I think the e-brake cables should work, but the wiring harness sounds like a nightmare. Why would you want to switch the chassis wiring? The track width of a MK3 is wider than a MK2 so I'm not sure you want to use the axles.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
I have changed out the suspension to Corrado SLC parts. Control arms, spindles, tie rods, rear beam, and brakes. And I wanted to change the wiring to CE2. I was told that by doing the swap it would be plug and play. In the long run it would be better to swap the harness as well.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
phazersonstun said:
I have changed out the suspension to Corrado SLC parts. Control arms, spindles, tie rods, rear beam, and brakes. And I wanted to change the wiring to CE2. I was told that by doing the swap it would be plug and play. In the long run it would be better to swap the harness as well.
It would probably be easier to use a later MK2 harness as those are also CE2 and would be a much better fit to the car. The MK3 harness has no shortage of crap. Start sawing up a MK3 and you'll find wires in places you never knew could have wires.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
vwmikel said:
It would probably be easier to use a later MK2 harness as those are also CE2 and would be a much better fit to the car. The MK3 harness has no shortage of crap. Start sawing up a MK3 and you'll find wires in places you never knew could have wires.
Tell me about it. I just pulled the abs, airbag AND auto tranny wiring from a mk3. My god what a mess.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
So I have been looking around ALOT, and am closer to locating some essential parts for the swap. I have found a CE2 Jetta that is being partially parted out. I can pillage the harness from there. Found a local VW wrecker with some AMAZING cars; LIMITLESS watercooled buses, it was crazy. But I seemed to have found a Corrado SLC K-member for around 100 dollars. Is that a good price?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
phazersonstun said:
So I have been looking around ALOT, and am closer to locating some essential parts for the swap. I have found a CE2 Jetta that is being partially parted out. I can pillage the harness from there. Found a local VW wrecker with some AMAZING cars; LIMITLESS watercooled buses, it was crazy. But I seemed to have found a Corrado SLC K-member for around 100 dollars. Is that a good price?
Sounds good

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I updated the Mk2 parts listing. Please let me know if you have recommendations