1Z Into a 1986 Golf Diesel

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
I'd be interested to see a comprehensive "ideal" donor parts list for a mk2 conversion using an AHU or 1Z in an early post of this thread.

I'm thinking like a best case scenario donor parts checklist, is that somthing we could get going here?

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Yeah I am on my way to getting that list here shortly. Because My car will have the TDI and A/C and powersteering. all things it didn't have previously.

THank you for the info. I will try to pick the information out of the pictures that you have posted G60ing

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If I were doing a MK2 TDI this is the list of parts that I would plan on but then again there are many different ways to accomplish the swap:
  • CE2 Mk2 (late 1989-1992)
  • B4 or Mk3 TDI for engine and drivetrain parts
  • B4 Pedal Cluster
  • B4 Engine wiring matches the mk2's holes better then the mk3 but they can both work. Careful with mixing and matching the ECUs, wiring harnesses, injectors and injection pumps. The glowplug circuits have different wiring. make certain you have the correct glowplug wiring that matches the ECU if if want the glowplugs to work properly without CELs. I also think that the 1Z engines have a lower popping pressure on the injectors so mixing and matching the ECUs could cause some issues here to.
  • Mk3/b4 TDI instrument cluster wiring as well as OBD2 diagnostic port. the B4 and Mk3 have minor differences in the cluster wiring. My recommendation would be to use the cluster wiring that is ment for the cluster. On my AHU Corrado I made my cluster's wiring harness from a bunch of spare aba and g60 cluster harnesses. What a PITA. On a corrado use a Passat TDI cluster.
  • I like the OBD2 diagnostic port mounting bracket that is used on the mk4s for mounting this plug wherever you want. I put my 1st one up under the dash. my 2nd one is under the shift boot Both used the mk4 mounting bracket. I like it under the shift boot more.
  • Mk3 or SLC K-frame (You can use a mk2 frame but it does not allow for the better motor mounts that the VR6 and TDI use) Passat will NOT work at ALL
  • Passat/SLC front crossmember (must use a Vr6 style motor mount) Mk3 will NOT work at ALL
  • ABA 2L or TDI 1.9L rear motor mount bracket
  • b4/mk3 tdi front motor mount bracket. The B4 ABA 2L 5spd front motor mount bracket is the same.
  • Any mk3/rado/b3/b4 02A transmission bracket
  • TDI motor mounts (Vr6 mounts will work but I'm uncertain of the vibration & longevity qualities)
  • In my opinion the mk2 diesel fuel tank is the best bolt in tank. The mk3 Jetta tdi tank will also fit. You can also use your mk2 gas tank but you will need to modify your spout and regulate the fuel pump's pressure.
  • For the instrument Cluster I will leave you with no perfect option. B4 or Mk3 TDI instrument cluster based on which dash you intend to use. The Mk3 fits the mk2 dash better. The B4 fits the corrado dash perfectly. Some have swapped MK3 and Corrado dashes into Mk2s neither of which is a simple task and there dozens of minor issues on all options. You could also try and build a hybrid mk2 cluster as show here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=303682
  • Use a mk2 TD airbox or a cone filter. Some have modified the 8V's airbox. I attempted this before getting my TD's airbox and wasn't satisfied with the aesthetic results.
  • Intercooler and pipes: This is something that depends on your car and which options you decide to keep.I used a G60 intercooler on my corrado. Big Bumper or Small, a/c or deleted, Hood scoop or OEM looking. I personally hate having a bunch of hose connections as each connection is just another opportunity for a boost leak. Sure you can mix match pipes and hoses to avoid custom metal pipes but my feeling is that its worth every penny to go custom. Some people have been able to use PVC and Copper from Home Depot. I like the Copper pipe idea and used it on a friends AEB Mk2 swap for a couple of water hoses. It was very easy to work with when compared to steel. Here is a thread with some MK2 intercooler ideas for those with small bumpers: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314080
  • Radiator just use a mk2 item. You can use a corrado but there is no need.
  • use the mk2 a/c wiring or adapt to the mk3/b4 setup (I used the Rado setup on mine which is the same as the Mk2's). I did use a SPAL fan with the factory fan shroud because it freed up some engine bay space and made the swap look much cleaner.
  • fuel lines: this can be done in a number of ways. I think I used gas lines my 1st tdi rado and mk3 tdi lines on my 2nd.
  • tdi fuel filter assembly
  • mk3/rado shift cables. Passat cables are a little longer then Mk3/rado cables and are thus not the best fit but they can be used.
  • mk3 tdi or mk3 2L Power steering High pressure line. I think the Passat one is too long.
  • mk2 axles are fine
  • mk2 control arms, spindles & brakes are fine but the mk3/b4 spindles and brakes allow you to upgrade to 11" brakes easily. The Mk3 and B4 control arms are longer then the Mk2. You could also swap in a 5 lug setup but this is a number of additional parts which has been covered numerous times on the vortex and other forums. Here is a quick stab at finding a thread about the parts required (if you find a better one let me know and I'll update this link): http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3633102
  • mk2 PS rack is fine or you can use the mk3 part but remember that the tie-rods are different lengths because the mk3 control arms are longer.
  • mk2 swaybar is fine or you can use the mk3 tdi parts. The G60 Corrado's swaybar interfered with the cat's support bracket so I used the mk3 TDI swaybar.
  • Use the TDI donor's downpipe and Cat (if you don't upgrade or delete)
  • Rest of the exhaust can be whatever you want. Mine have use a mishmash of gasser mufflers and over the axle pipes.
  • fuel sender can be whatever you need for each fuel tank...mk3 tdi fuel tank is best with the mk3 tdi fuel sender. A Mk2 gasser fuel tank should use the mk2 gas fuel pump and sender. A mk2 diesel tank should use the mk2 diesel fuel sender. Sure you could swap things around but KISS (something most will say I don't follow very often). On my corrado I have tried the mk3 tdi fuel tank and it doesn't fit very well as the spout is too close to the door. I used a corrado tank with an enlarged nozzle opening. I don't know how a mk2 tank will fit in a corrado.
  • ECU Mounting? On my Corrados I had to make custom mounts as the ecu did not mount the same as the donor cars.
  • Battery Cables: I like the mk3 cables much more then the mk2 ones.
for a/c there are at least two routes
  1. use the mk2 evaporator in the dash and have a custom line from the evaporator to the compressor created and then a custom line from the the compressor to the condensor
  2. Use the mk3 evaporator and then use an SLC a/c line from the condensor to the evaporator. Use a mk3 TDI or ABA 2L or slc a/c line to the compressor from the evaporator. Have the compressor to the condenser line modified with the mk2 unit and tdi donor. My cost was $75 per a/c line for mods.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
any mk3 as they are all use vr style motor mounts.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I only have a couple things to add. That list should be stickied IMO. If you are are doing a CE2 swap, grab the fuse box mount too. Its just easier that way.

If you are keeping AC, the lower radiator outlet fouls on the AC compressor. You could probably use a Passat lower rad support or do something custom to lower the radiator a little. I'm going to add tabs to my crossmember to mount the rad and condenser where I want them.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Could someone in the know comment on the ecu part numbers and their significance in terms of tuning potential?

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Nope, I suck at documenting my builds. I'm working on it right now so if you need any pics of anything specific let me know. So far I've done the full CE2 swap, mk3 K-frame, B4 crossmember, pedal cluster, clutch hydro stuff.
Right now I'm sourcing all the MK3 AC parts to swap over.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
How long has it been taking you? What do you have to do for the B4 Crossmember? Do you have to modify it? I have that. As well as the radiator and condensor from the Passat that the motor is from.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
the crossmember bolts right up! You 'may' need a different front/starter mount, I have yet to offer mine up!

Spulen81

Veteran Member
Yup the crossmember bolts right in as does the K-frame. Grab the passat from motor mount bracket if you didn't already. I'm about 3 weeks into this one. I'm aslo going through all the suspension bushings, etc as I go. I don't get as much time to work on it as I would like. I also parted out the GTI during this time.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe the passat tdi radiator is similar to a G60 corrado radiator and my corrado setup has plenty of room for the mk2 radiator and mk3 radiator hose. I think in the future I might use a mk2 radiator.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you use a radiator with driverside inlet & outlet use a G60 upper hose and a hybrid lower hose (I used a portion of the G60 lower hose and then a portion of an autozone special hose)

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Here's the picts you were asking for. The cluster is a little off center but it's comin oput soon anyways. Don't think it'll be a problem for you. Lookin forward to more updates.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeff Byrum built a mk2 1.8T for an older friend on the Vortex and he showed how he mounted a mk3 cluster in the mk2 dash. Do a search and you should find it. Jeff is a great dub builder and the guy who got me into building VWs.

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
G60ING said:
If you use a radiator with driverside inlet & outlet use a G60 upper hose and a hybrid lower hose (I used a portion of the G60 lower hose and then a portion of an autozone special hose)
now the question becomes what do you use for hoses when you have a alh that has piping for a drivers side inlet/outlet on the raidator - the b4 passat VR radiator "fits" but it's HUGE and way more then needed - if there was a piping arrangement that was somewhere near still using a good combo of factory parts to fit the mk2 setup it would be better (not that i'm looking for this answer...)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the ALH swap is a completly different beast of a swap and the list of parts and effort is different but the hose I used for the lower return hose was purchased from an advance autoparts store (they let me go in and look at all the hoses they stock):

The upper hose was a just a hose that I had in one of my parts bins but I have a feeling it was from a VR6.

here is a link to my old DZSL SLC's build album where I used an ALH:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CZtXDdy5asaw

Last edited:

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Thanks DbLog! that looks awesome!

To Update my build, thanks to the very interested members on this forum, I have been able to amass the major parts of my build. I have got an MK3 TDI dash now and have paid for the passat engine harness and for the passat pedal cluster. I am in line to get the cable shift system and the rest of the CE2 harness once I get paid!

As a side note, I got a full time job working at a Mustang Motorsports company, so it is a really exciting time right now!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
GREAT NEWS! I just got more parts yesterday! Engine/ Computer wiring harness along with the matching pedal assembly from a B4 Passat! WOO HOO! I can't wait to get paid cause I am buying more!

i_dont_golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf tdi gls
martin! it's your old friend from Palomar. can't wait to see your car when it's done. maybe then you can put up a fight... ha! later!