1Z Into a 1986 Golf Diesel

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Hello!

First off I would like to commend you guys on your well run forum! This is my first thread post!

I have a 1986 Golf Diesel with a 1.6 N/A motor:

I have quickly gotten over the 52 horsepower... And the bolwn headgasket that I just got.

So I found this:

It's a 1Z motor from a 1997 Passat, with the 5 speed manual.
I know that I need a pedal cluster and a main wiring harness. And also convert from the linkage shift to cable shift. But I am wondering if I have to convert to CE2?

I think that most of my motor mounts will work, except maybe the front one.

Other than that I should be able to drop it in, right?

Maybe you guys know where I could pick some of this stuff up at, or what else I need in order to make this swap the best that it can be. I have already upgraded my suspension. Bilstein PSS coil-overs, Corrado suspension, brakes, and rims! :cool: It's pretty sweet! So all that it needs is a bit more poop! Thanks!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Converting over to CE2 really isn't a requirement. It would be nice because the engine harness would pretty much plug in, but I think it would really be more trouble than it's worth. The MK2's changed a lot over the lifetime of the chassis. Some of the holes for the CE2 harness just won't even be there. I would just go ahead and adapt the 1Z harness to fit the car. The pedal cluster you really want is from a Passat (Stay away from the MK3 pedal cluster) as it is the closest fit.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Sorry to contradict but i recommend converting to CE2. Its not hard and will make your life much easier electrically. Just find a doner mk2 golf that has CE2.

vwmikel: what is the difference between passat and mk3 pedal clusters?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the jetta cluster has a low fuel warning light. but I think its narrower and easier to fit into the mk2 dash then the Passat cluster.

You need a 1996/1997 Passat TDI pedal cluster. You can also use a 1996/1997 passat tdi wiring harness or a 1997-1999 mk3 jetta TDI wiring harness.

If it were my Mk2 that I was swapping a TDI into I would convert to CE2 from a 90-92 Golf/jetta just so everything would be plug and play as opposed to having to solder every wire on the wiring harness. Plug and play is where its at. I think the passat wiring fits the mk2 better then the jetta's

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
validius said:
vwmikel: what is the difference between passat and mk3 pedal clusters?
The mk3 has plastic pedals and stuff. It's quite a bit different from the MK2 pedal setup.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the passat's firewall is a better match to the mk2 then the mk3 jetta.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
You are doing the right thing by posting here. There are some very knowledgeable people here. I did not have access to the internet when I started installing my ALH into my Vanagon back in 2000. Take the advice, there can be more than one right answer when it comes to conversions. The less fabrication and soldering the better, unless you are a master fabricator and are an expert at tracing wiring paths in the Bentley Manual. In the end you will have a sweet ride. Good luck with the project.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Wow. VWMikel and G60ing you guys know what the heck you are doing. THanks! What systems though would I have splice into in order to keep CE1? I am just really curious to see how invasive the TDI harness is.

So to sum it all up:

1. Get wiring harness for a CE2 golf.
2. Get the main wiring harness from a 1996-97 passat.
3. Pedal cluster from said passat.
4. Dash from a MK3 TDI Jetta.
5. Cable shift system. (From what cars can I pilfer this?)

I have also read that it is advantageous to splice in a new fuel pump, pre injection pump? Is this true? I believe G60ing you did this to your Silver Corrado.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't even consider keeping the CE1 so I'll let mikel take a stab at this one.

You can use just the mk3 instrument cluster instead of the whole dash, but the mk3 dash swap is a nice swap. if done correctly. (lot of work) get the wiring for the mk3 instrument cluster. (all wires would need to be splices if you stayed CE1)

The shifter box can come from a corrado(G60 or VR6), Passat (16V, ABA, TDI or VR6) or a Mk3 (TDI or VR6) I'd avoid the G60 and 16V passat shifter boxes as the a bracket would need to be changed on these to connect to a Passat TDI transmission. Also I'd suggest you get something 1994 or newer as one of the older cables is prone to failure (square end, the new ones are oval)

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I'm re-bodying my '91 GTI/TDI into a '86 Jetta coupe right now. You can use the stock intank fuel pump if you want. It works well as a lift pump..puts out 6-7psi unregulated. You can run it off the stock gas wiring too (CE2).

You can get the cable shift stuff from almost anything you just have to kept the parts in the same family. I have a O2J in mine with a late style MK4 shifter box/cables. I'm using a passat clutch master/bracket and slave. Since you have an A3 trans, you'll be better off using a A3/B4 shifter box/cables.

I have a A3 shifterbox from a 1998 TDI, cables and a pretty complete CE2 harness from a Golf if you are interested.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
G60ing, 10-4 on all of that splicing. I would really prefer the do as little of that as possible. I really don't want to have a one off mess that if something goes wrong I don't have some sort of color code to use as a reference. I like to keep as many parts as complete as possible. Any customization to be with the highest standards. So a complete dash swap? Maybe corrado? Or just MK3?

Spulen81, shifter and the cables for sure! I have some parts like audi phone dial rims and girling 60's to trade.

As far as the CE2 harness, is it from a four door? Does it have the fuse block and fuses?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah most of the mk2s use a dual fuel pump design. The in tank pump is prefect for supplying a TDI's injector pump.

As for the dash swap I'd suggest you get the TDI swap running first using a mk3 cluster in the mk2 dash. Then if you feel up to the challange you can swap in a corrado or a mk3 dash. If you do a rado dash you would need a passat cluster.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thats a given. My experiance would suggest you get an ecu meant for the motor. I know my AHU does not like runninh smoothly on a 1Z ecu. Sure it can be chipped to work smoothly but we all love out of the box functionality.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I 2nd using the MK3 cluster. You can use the speed sensor on MK2 cluster w/mfa with a speedo cable from a Corrado or Passat. The speedo will not read right and you will need to buy a signal converter to use the tach. AND you have to add in your CEL and GP light. I went this route on my GTI. I'm using a MK3 cluster on the new car. This one just plugs in and works, everything is there.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Totally got the ECU covered. It's the one that matches the motor. The last picture is of that.

So I take it I want a MK3 jetta dash? From a TDI or a petrol car?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You want a mk3 TDI instrument cluster and wiring so you can swap just the cluster into your mk2 dash.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Gotcha! Thanks G60ing! What about motor mounts? Should I swap the rear one from the block of my 1.6?

GOOD NEWS!!! I am a dingus! I thought I had a headgasket problem, turns out that it was just a hose that was opening under pressure! I was such an idiot. I didn't pressurize the cooling system. I am ordering new hoses for the 1.6.

Speaking of cooling systems, I got the Radiator from the Passat as well. Should I use that? Or can I stick with my stock one and just run the dual electric fan setup?

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
G60ing and I have both swapped engines in a CE2 cars. I _promise_ you that you will spend less time and less stress by just switching the car to CE2. CE2 wiring is very granular and simple, its a straightforward, easy to debug process. Have you visited a2resource yet?

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
For sure! Got it bookmarked! I am definitely gonna do the wiring swap. It makes sense from an installation point of view, and especially from a debugging point of view.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Once you have converted the car to CE2 you will be able to do everything I did in my G60 Corrado TDI Build:

Build Thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3279771
Photo Album:
http://share.shutterfly.com/ac...5asRc

use a mk3 K-Frame (mk3 tdi motor mounts) or keep your mk2 k-frame and weak mk2 mounts

use a passat front cross member and mk3tdi or b4 tdi engine bracket with a tdi motor mount. Or just keep your mk2 front cross member, weak mk2 motor mount and use a G60 rado motor mount bracket.

You sould probably just use the mk2 radiator. I'm thinking I may use one in the future on my Mk3 tdi Corrado. For the fan use your mk2 setup and wiring provided it had a/c.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
passat pedal box only requires the top bracket to be moved 30mm to one side. the Golf item has LOTS of differences!

Ryan

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i'll fix it later this weekend

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
phazersonstun said:
So I take it the CE2 harness plugs right into the motor harness on my TDI motor?
It more or less does. MK3's are also CE2 and I jetta TDI harness and then adapted the MK4 ECU. The same harness should plug right in with the MK2 CE2. Years ago I put a MK3 2L gas engine into a '92 Golf GTI and just plugged the harness into the fuse box. It all worked out.

phazersonstun

TDI
Only parts...
Trying to get my parts in order, and I need some help with the wiring harness. Which harness does the Pedal cluster plug in to? Is there a good visual breakdown that anyone knows of, that clearly defines the different sets of harnesses?

I have already read the CE2 information from A2 resource. But I am still at a loss.

Thanks to you all for the support by the way!