1999 VW T4 Syncro Diesel double-sliding doors w/ pop-top

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 03 2dr 5sp 357,xxx; Current: B5.5V 116,xxx
1999 VW T4 "Transporter" (marketed as EuroVan in North America), manual transmission, syncro, 2.5 TDI, LWB w/ double sliding doors, pop-top & side/rear canopies. Imported from Germany. Registered in Canada (for importing to the US, please see this NHTSA webpage)

Odometer reads 230,000km (140,000mi) approximately. I am the second owner. First owner was a German mechanic that serviced VW vehicles exclusively.

Features include:

-diesel fueled
-manual transmission
-full airbags
-syncro
-long wheelbase model (this feature was only available in the Winnebago-outfitted VW units in North America)
-double sliding doors
-newly installed Reimo poptop
-newly installed Eberspacher parking/standing heater
-diesel-fueled starting heater w/ timer
-swivel front passenger seat
-(6) removable rear seats
-(2) Khyam Driveaway Compact 300 side canopies and (1) Khyam Tailgate XL rear canopy

Recent service (6/2017) includes:

-Timing belt
-Water pump
-Alternator
-Brake and Parking Break cables and lines
-Tie rods, ball joints and boots
-Intake, mid and end exhaust / mufflers
-All fluids changed
-Underbody coating

Additional maintenance records available. Please contact for details.

Asking $72,000 CND / $55,000 USD. Only accepted payment methods are PayPal for deposit (up to $650 CND/$500 USD max.) and wire transfer for balance. Delivery possible between Halifax, NS and Montreal, QC at no additional charge. Delivery possible elsewhere for an additional $1/km.

PHOTOS

Last edited:

Doug Belknap

TDI
96 B4 TDI
No importation without inordinate hassle

This van cannot be imported to U.S. without paying fees out the other end.

It must be 25 years old to do it and have it be worthwhile.

Doug

owner of an 86 TDI Camper Van (imported to the U.S. from Nova Scotia)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Very cool rig. Super rare here on NA soil. This is not eligible for US entry until it is 25 years old (2024). You will have to find a Canadian buyer or enjoy it for 6 more years.

Best of luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Very cool. More money than a 4WD Sprinter brand new, but still very cool.

If I was sickenly wealthy, this is the type of thing I'd spend my money on. :)

InfoSec

Veteran Member
I think I'll find a Unimog and rebuilt it with a camper on the back unless I win the lotto. I went and looked at MB 4wd sprinters this past weekend and they look nice. A bit pricey, but I think I'd rather have one of those than something as old as the VW van... unless it was fully restored. I'll go play the lotto now.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
This is still a pretty amazing rig considering the poptop and double slider.
People want to denigrate it by calling it old, but the reality is people follow these vehicles from the 90s now. You’re getting old and the 90’s is 20 years ago. It’s Okay.

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, and there are legal ways for a US citizen to purchase this vehicle for use in the US.

Very cool rig. Super rare here on NA soil. This is not eligible for US entry until it is 25 years old (2024). You will have to find a Canadian buyer or enjoy it for 6 more years.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
You're right about the laws being very strict and specific, but you're very rigid and uncreative (and misinformed) about your assessment that it can't be brought in to the US.

Absolutely no legal way to bring it into the US pre-25 years old. They are very strict about this.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
grey market cars from europe used to be a thing back in the day...

But since this has already been grey market imported and titled in Canada, I would think it would be viewed as just another "used Canadian car" on US soil...I'm pretty sure used cars of all ages cross the northern border both ways all the time...

given the amount of snowbirds (and snowbird vehicles & campers) down south, there has to be a fairly normal process to transfer a Canada car to a US registration....

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
grey market cars from europe used to be a thing back in the day...
But since this has already been grey market imported and titled in Canada, I would think it would be viewed as just another "used Canadian car" on US soil...I'm pretty sure used cars of all ages cross the northern border both ways all the time...
given the amount of snowbirds (and snowbird vehicles & campers) down south, there has to be a fairly normal process to transfer a Canada car to a US registration....
Absolutely not.
Again, they are very strict about this. It seems an odd thing to be so incredibly strict about, but go figure.

Again, to do it legally is made to be such a big headache that most people give up.
The NHTSA has published 3 lists of vehicles regarding import. 1 list is vehicles that can be 'easily' imported. No significant modifications necessary. This is basically for, let's say, a Toyota Camry sold is Canada that is identical to the Toyota Camry sold in America. Then it's simple.

The 2nd list is cars that must be significantly modified. These are cars that most people would think are identical, but here's where the fun starts. Again, the NHTSA does not play around. They are anal about the slightest differences between foreign models. I'm talking about having to source USDM correct wiper stalks, correct fog light glass (incorrect fog light colored glass is not acceptable), correct headlights, having to wire in USDM DRL. And that's just the easy stuff. We haven't even talked about airbag components and, god forbid, emissions equipment. Again, this 2nd list only applies for vehicles that are nearly identical to a model already sold here. Like if the Toyota Corolla is 98% identical, but Toyota decided to give it yellow fog lamps in Canada, a wiper stalk that operates backwards, and 14" wheels instead of US spec 15" wheels. EVERY ASPECT MUST BE CHANGED TO CONFORM 100% WITH THE US MODEL.
Then there's list 3 - this list is cars that ABSOLUTELY, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can be imported prior to the 25 year rule.
This list is the majority of cars that exists outside of the US.

The NHTSA claims these reasons are that the vehicles do not meet emissions or safety tests.
This is partially true, but not completely. There are many famous cases of people trying to beat the system, find a work around, or even play ball with the system. The most famous is probably the company Motorex that wanted to bring R32 Skylines into the US. At the time, these cars were 5-8 years old.
Motorex actually, on their own dime, bought enough cars to privately do the crash testing necessary.
In other words, they purposely crashed 10s of Nissan Skylines in order to prove that the Skyline was up to par with safety requirements. They actually won, and imported a small handful of cars to be sold in the US.
Again, famously, they re-did the crash testing for the R33 model, and passed. They did not do the testing for the R34 model, but sneakily imported some anyway.
This is why people are pulled over on the highway, and their R34 models are impounded and promptly crushed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cgwNEnZtw

The typical case is when someone travels to Europe and falls in love with some 320i BMW over there because it has so many neat features not found in the US. So they think "yeah, it's pretty identical, import should be easy". So they buy the car, and pay shipping fees. The shipping fees are already usually more than the cost of the car, but they are free and clear, right? LOL. At this point, the car usually gets stagnated in the Port of Baltimore for...anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. And the person ends up spending more on the to get it to pass import requirements than the car + shipping cost.

Personally, I'm pretty annoyed with OP for trying to lie and hock his overpriced VW here and I think a mod should lock/delete this thread, but whateva.

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Personally, I'm pretty annoyed with OP for trying to lie and hock his overpriced VW here and I think a mod should lock/delete this thread, but whateva.
You seem pretty well informed about your opinions. If you did as much homework about NHTSA standards as you did about my willingness to be an upfront seller or the asking price, you'd come off as even more informed. Right now, your post comes off as rude and opinionated. This is a thread in the Vehicles For Sale forum; unless you've dealt with me in a transaction buying or selling through this site, have experience with importing a vehicle that you'd like to share or think others might find useful (with a link to a relative thread or article), or have experience or questions regarding this T4 in particular, please let your opinions mature before you share them. Thanks!

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
If it was me and if you can honestly inport the vehicle you should. If you did you might be able to get someone in the states to buy it. It sounds like it is an easy process if you know what you are doing and it sounds like you know the way around it. You are welcome to ask what ever you want for the vehicle and no one should argue with you or criticize your price publicly. Promising something that might be near impossible is what has others up in arms only because someone might actually buy this and not have all the required information.

Let us know how it can be done. Great thing about this forum is the sharing of knowledge and if you have or know a way I guarantee that there are a few that would be interested in this.

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Well best of luck then. I honestly do not know why you are not willing to discuss how to import the vehicle though. You must have your reasons and best of luck.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Intellectual property can take many grueling hours and attempts to get the correct final outcome. If he was lax with the information, he wouldn’t have the unique ability to import a seemingly unimportable vehicle. The vehicle is special, the information is special. If he gave out the process and someone else isn’t serious when accomplishing the tasks, it could put the next vehicles at risk. Or put red flags up with the certain inspectors that he has already created repoiir with. Sounds reasonable if he has a niche. Don’t buy it if the price is too high. That Sounds reasonable too.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Well put Kooyajerms. We're all adults here. Everyone is knowledgeable that there is a BIG risk, and a very uncertain outcome, in general, when trying to import vehicles that do not meet the 25 year rule.

Potential buyers have been duly warned; now do your homework. It's your responsibility to ascertain whether/to what degree the seller's specialized knowledge, process, and intellectual property adds to the potential vehicle's intrinsic valuation.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS (x2)2002 Jetta Wagon 2005 Passat Wagon
I think I'll chime in here since I imported vehicles to flip to pay for college (mostly Ford and Chevy trucks). You would not be able to import this car legally. The only cars exempt from the 25 year rule are those produced in US, Canada, or Mexico (1,2,3 on the VIN) per NAFTA. There are 3 things that would prevent you from legal importation (eventhough they sold LWB Vans in the US).

1. it contains a drivetrain not sold in the US (no NHTSA crash test)
2. the double door body style was never sold in US (no NHTSA crash tests)
3. 2.5TDI never sold in the US (no EPA cert for that engine).

The only way to get this in the US, would be to dismantle and install in a US titled car or swap vins. Or install this into a car sold in the US like a Westfalia Camper. You could also find an import broker that is willing to take a fine and/or jail time that would be willing to fudge documents (like saying the engine is 1.9tdi, and omit syncro drive train and number of doors). So yes it is possible to import, but you're taking a risk. I have seen another 2.5tdi Syncro Westfalia in the US that was successfully imported illegally that was for sale for only $35000.
https://westfaliasforsale.com/wow-1999-vw-eurovan-syncro-tdi-camper-35k-washington/

If you search there are Synchro TDI pop tops in Canada for much cheaper than this one if you want to risk the import.

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'll chime in here.
Yes, your assessment is correct! There are ways to import a vehicle illegally like this and, if discovered, have the vehicle impounded and destroyed, on top of fines. In addition to the one you link to there are a number of other TDI T4's that have been imported, not necessarily illegally. There are other ways of approaching this issue your analysis doesn't cover. For example, members of the armed forces are allowed to import a vehicle they owned overseas if the vehicle originated in he country which they served in; such vehicles have been sold on this forum. There are other exemptions and approaches in addition to the one you list.

If I'm even in the northwest I'd love to buy you coffee or a beer and pick your brain about the auto flipping process.

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
The rule still applies for military members overseas. It is why you don’t see new European Audis, skylarks or new diesel Defenders. The rules are the rules and they apply to all. The only benefit of being in the military is they will ship one vehicle back to your next conus base. Trust me I know from first hand experience on this rule.

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
That's helpful to know and important information for buyers who are in the military.
What about this vehicle?
As noted in that thread as well... grey. You have these issues in a State/Federal government when both enact laws and share responsibility for enforcement, it doesn't make it legal. What a State (or individuals responsible for the process within the State) values and holds important plays heavily into what they allow or are willing to permit. Just because a State allows something, doesn't mean it is legal on the Federal level or even within that State, just that it was allowed to happen. Systems "fail" all the time and pushing the right buttons and signing the right forms allows things to happen.

Someone very well could buy your vehicle, or import any other one that isn't "legally" allowed, and have 100% success in titling and drive it for the rest of their lives. In this system it is legal and illegal at the same time. It is registered by the State to be on the road but shouldn't have been in the first place. There was an example from Cali on here recently, not an import but an engine swap, where the guy got "the guy" for Cali to sign off on his car and was asking a lot of money for it because it was "good to go in Cali." When he went to sell it he followed up and they blacklisted his car and told him they made a mistake and the next owner would not be able to title/register it in Cali, value of the car dropped.