Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sidsnot

TDI
2014 Jetta Silver, 2000 Cherv Silverado 2500 6.L Vortec
Electronic Throttle Pedal
Since my VW dealer replaced my fualty injector pump I have dificulty starting when hot i.e. crank for 4-5sec's When cold, even well below freezing I have no problem. The dealer tells me I need a new throttle pedal. I sourced a second hand one & it cured the problem for a few weeks but the problem has now returned. Again my VW dealer tells me a new throttle pedal is needed. Has any body else had a similar problem?

Mass Air Flow Sensor.
When looking for my second hand TDI's I noticed most that had 80 to 110,000KMs neede or had had the MAss Air Flow Sensor replaced. The one I purchaced needed the M.A.F S. changing. I have spoken to a few mechanics who have suggested that I remove & spray carb cleaner through it every 30,000km's to help prevent premature failer of this unit as this is a $500.00CND part. Has any body any advice on the maintenance of the M.A.F.S.?
I am taking your advise of how to reduce if not stop the carbon build up in the intake manifold as I also have had to have this cleaned.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Your MAF is now a $80 US part, which is very reasonable. It is listed as rebuilt, but new parts are used in an old body. This is the way to go if you want to replace it.

Check your timing. The dealers have a bad habit of setting it retarded. This will cause problems with starting. Optimal is between midpoint and maximum advance on the chart.

sidsnot

TDI
2014 Jetta Silver, 2000 Cherv Silverado 2500 6.L Vortec
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info. where can I obtain this from. A new one from VW dealer is $240 CDN. The last time I had it in the dealers they check the timing out & adjusted it. with no improvement.
As I said, I replaced the throttle pedal with a used one, which solved the problem but the starting problem returned within a few months.
I will be having the timing belt changed in the spring so I will have the timing checked plus adjustments to reduce intake manifold carbon build up, as suggested in the TDI forum.
T H A N K S
Alan