1999.5 map senors

WOB Long

TDI
1999.5 jetta 1997 passat
The car is a 1999.5 jetta, there seems to be 2 map sensors one on the intercooler and another on a plastic boost hose. The one on the plastic pipe has wires and a plug on it and the one on the intercooler has no wires going to it and never has. The car ran find forever like this. Was this done just to plug up the hole in the intercooler or should it have a plug going to it?

WOB Long

TDI
1999.5 jetta 1997 passat
Car never had another owner and I never replaced the intercooler, the parts # is also the same on both sensors

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
That's kinda funny actually. VW transitioned the MAP from the IC pipe to the IC somewhere during the mid 99.5 year. It must have been when they were switching over and they had ICs with the MAP sensor and IC pipes with the map sensor. They stuck in both and wired one up.

WOB Long

TDI
1999.5 jetta 1997 passat
Thats cool im gonna switch them because my car lost all power but its not in limp mode, The car lost power one day and i turned the key on and off and the turbo came back on, which is limp mode but this was the only occasion. I blew a coolant hose that day so the car sat for a few days before the new hose came in. Then while drving my car i had no turbo, so then i cleaned the N75 and the went for a drive, the car boosted but it the boost flucuated, i read the codes with vagcom and got the negative devation code, i then chaeck the acuator everything was fine with mighty vac it held at 15 and moved freely, i then looked a the MAF with vagcom and the actual on goes to like 550 and idles at like 400, car doesnt run better with the MAF unplugged. I replaced all vac hoses, i tried putting in that other solenoid n18 or n239. I checked the boost hoses and the intake hoses. The last time the turbo was working, it almost sounded like a blow off valve. Would a map sensor make the MAF all crazy?

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
When my neighbours cars maf went it made no difference with the maf plugged in or not, it was the same both ways. That doesn't mean yours is knackered though but a new maf transformed her car.