1999.5 good or stay away?

muddflaps

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door TDI
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a little while and have been patiently waiting to find my first TDI. I have owned several VW's and currently drive a Mk2 golf, my search has led me to a first model year MK4 golf (99.5) I have never been a fan of buying a first model year car but because of what I want (2 door) I would consider one. Is this model year known for any problems? should I look for a 2000-03 or is the 99.5 just as good? I don't care about power windows or any other luxuries as long as it's a 2 door.
Thanks in advance!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
2 door golfs didn't get power windows until 2003. The only real bummer with the 99.5 is the crappy shifter linkage, but it's not hard to change to the 2000+ style. FWIW 99.5 Golfs are made in Germany.

-Jason

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
They have a better clutch, but a worse flywheel. There aren't more electrical gremlins, just a couple hold overs from the Mk3s.

-J

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Didn't the 99.5's have some sort of hard starting in the cold issue? My 99.5 doesn't like to start in the cold...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
cold start when hot issue...

The ECU software prevents fuel from being delivered until it sees 250rpm when cranking- something that may be a challenge with a less than perfect battery and starter.

two ways to fix it, chip the car, or put a resistor and a switch inline with the coolant temperature sensor.

I know my 99.5 has a better clutch- it's chipped, nozzled and towing a trailer full-o-crap, with no signs of slippage. :D

The 99.5s also do away with the troublesome immobilizer equipped on 2000-2003 cars.

I wouldn't say there are any more electrical gremlins in 99.5's I see the same MK4 stuff regardless of year - mostly bad door lock switches.

As with all MK4 TDI's regardless of year, get the car inspected by someone familiar with MK4's - it might be a gem, there might be $1000's of make-up repairs due. A local guru will tell you for sure.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
EDIT: D'OH, beat me to it.

Didn't the 99.5's have some sort of hard starting in the cold issue? My 99.5 doesn't like to start in the cold...
Starting cold isn't an issue from my experience.

It's starting when the engine's warmed up. When it's still hot, fuel isn't injected right away. I swapped chips since my gp light wouldn't come back on. So now i have the hot start again (stock chip has rc3/hot start fix). I really miss having my rc3 and the now hot start again isn't helping.

Is it something drastic to consider when buying the car....no, just a nuisance.

But yes the luk clutch is nice. You can do nozzles and chip and still be ok w/ no slippage.

Oh and mine has window/door lock issues. I dont leave the keys in it as it sometimes magically locks itself. The rear window switches from the drivers door you have to hold them down and dont always work right away. Sometimes it's easier to just reach over to the rear doors and roll them down w/ the rear door switches.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love my '99.5 Golf, even though it has its quirks. I did also love the LUK clutch and flywheel until I overpowered it. If it's a good car, go for it.

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
It's starting when the engine's warmed up.
I was wrong. Sorry :eek: I knew that it had some sort of hard starting issue compared to the later A4's...

Oh and mine has window/door lock issues. I dont leave the keys in it as it sometimes magically locks itself.
Mine loves to do this too if I don't insert the key and turn it to the notch just before it starts. Sometimes if I don't realize that it locked itself and I try to open the door to get out of the car, I'll end up setting off the alarm :mad: I still haven't found an easy way to disable the alarm once I set it off :(

Last edited:

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
my 03 does this too. I can get in the car, and be doing something, finishing a phone call or looking for something, then when I go to turn the key I get one alarm horn blast..

just annoying, not really an issue... sometime it startles people walking by though..

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
My '03 Beetle does this too but I have already traced it back to the simple fact that the door switch hasn't registered that it is open ie the dome light will not come on if I open the driver's door. If my memory serves correctly, all of these VWs have the feature that if a door hasn't been registered as opened within a certain amount of time after the car is unlocked, the car relocks itself. As an example, if I unlock the car and open the passenger door the dome light comes on and the car does not relock.

OP I think that, barring anything negative from a guru doing a pre purchase inspection, you are getting a good car.

TDI
None
+1 for the 99.5's. Mine has crank windows, manual mirrors, cloth interior with a 5 speed, even though its bare bones it still feels more solid and better engineered than any other car of its size from 1999. There are some weird bugs that these cars have but IMO are just as good as the other years. Yes the clutch and pressure plate are stronger but the flywheel is prone to failure. Having some weird shuddering issues with it at the moment. The shifter linkage has a plastic piece that can break but have yet to see that problem in 130k miles. The linkage is also a little more sloppy than the later years. The hot start issue is as everyone said, "an ECU issue" but a good tune from Mark Malone, Rocketchip, VWMike, or any of our reputable vendors will do the trick with a little added oomph!

You'll probably spend the first year getting to know it and catching up on maintenance and tying up odds and ends. As long as PM was carried out throughout its life, timing belt components were replaced legitimately, you should be good to go!

tigers2007

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Sedan (B4)
My 99.5 just turned 268,000 miles yesterday. The original owner told me that it still has the original clutch. Its also on this third timing belt and just about ready for its fourth. I replaced the window track guts a few months ago and they work like new. No check engine or ABS lights either after I replaced the rear sensors. Only issue I have is an ongoing and random "limp-like but not limp" mode when above 65MPH. I still say that this is one of the most reliable used car's I've ever had. Everytime I fill up at the gas station I'm still blown away but 600 plus miles per tank.

One more thing, this car has survived the brutal salty michigan winters for the last 11 years without much rust. The only part going is the left front fender which has rusted through and is covered by the warranty. I just need to find the time to leave it at the dealer. Otherwise my 2003 Sierra pickup is almost rusted to into dust!

Last edited:

muddflaps

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door TDI
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! with any luck it will still be available by the time I get a day off.:eek:

tigers2007

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Sedan (B4)
So I have the rust issue, and I am not the Original owner, can I get the fender rust problem taken care of by the dealer?
The cars that year came with a 12-year corrosion warranty. It has to be rusted through from the inside out. I think brand new ones come with a lifetime warranty.

muddflaps

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door TDI
On a side note the turbo has received a bead blasting (don't know with what) to correct a vnt issue I'm assuming, is this bad?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a little while and have been patiently waiting to find my first TDI. I have owned several VW's and currently drive a Mk2 golf, my search has led me to a first model year MK4 golf (99.5) I have never been a fan of buying a first model year car but because of what I want (2 door) I would consider one. Is this model year known for any problems? should I look for a 2000-03 or is the 99.5 just as good? I don't care about power windows or any other luxuries as long as it's a 2 door.
Thanks in advance!
get 2003 if possible

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
care to elaborate?
What he's trying to say is that the 2003's were the last (and possibly most refined) year of the ALH A4's, with most of the bugs worked out. That said, I've seen some crappy 2003's and some great 99.5's and the other way around.

Whatever you get, make sure to get the car inspected by someone qualified.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The 99.5 do have some odd and weard parts/issues.

The shifter box/linkage is TOTAL AND UDDER crap!!! You can swap it out to a later style shifter though. I did and it made a ton of difference.

There is an glitch in the ECU that makes hot starts a pain to start. A ECU reflash is really the only way to fix it properly. The ECU's are not socketed either meaning that you have to take the entire ECU out and send it out to a chip tuner to get socketed.

There's no immo which makes it really easy to get keys made.

There's also a shuddering issues which nobody seems to figure out but the general consensus seems to be that is is the DMF causing it.

There's also other things that are different, but that is just major ones off the top off my head.

muddflaps

TDI
2002 Golf 2 door TDI
I don't see a guru listed in an area near the cars location, there is a local mechanic that has performed work on the car and owns a vw diesel himself said it is a good car? I know other people have made appointments to view car after me not sure what to do?:confused: the car has little over 100k.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
What he's trying to say is that the 2003's were the last (and possibly most refined) year of the ALH A4's, with most of the bugs worked out. That said, I've seen some crappy 2003's and some great 99.5's and the other way around.

Whatever you get, make sure to get the car inspected by someone qualified.
Yup, what he said.

Plus more options available on a 2003 too, like ESP. Silent upgrades like Immo2 (i think), etc.

Power windows, pwr mirrors standard, Monsoon standard, etc. You won't pay extra on a used car so much for nice creature comforts.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I had a 1999.5 and the only electrical gremlin I had was the dreaded Relay 109.

Of course my 2002 had the same problem only much later on the mileage.

I like manual windows for the long haul, though I understand people liking power windows. My car now has leather heated/cooled seats and a Webasto OEM sunroof. Plus a few power mods....:)