1998 VW LUPO now legal to import due to 25 year rule

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have always wanted one of these (and the newer foreign version of the rabbit pickup)
and now technically it’s possible due to being EPA exempt on crash and test, not sure if Wisconsin would cause issues though I do see 80’s era Kei mini trucks from Japan buzzing around

Im not sure if any importers are already targeting these and not sure of where to start.

I’m curious if there are any parts houses that would list off common parts like filters, brakes etc.
What exporters could ship one of these over?

My ideal vehicle would be a 1998 LUPO 1.7 SDI with a manual transmission.

Not sure what common problems or how reliable these are but just starting investigating, not sure if Mexico or Canada has any of these already on the continent, lol

Ah well, anyone go down this path?

Tried to ask someone who was importing on vwvortex but apparently I’m banned for being a spammer even though I never posted there, lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd be interested, although I'd probalby want a TDI, not an SDI. Was the 1.2L TDI only in the Lupo 3L?

If not a TDI a Lupo GTI would be a lot of fun.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Trouble enough getting parts for a 1998 model car that Volkswagen DID sell here, I cannot imagine the nightmare trying to maintain something they didn't.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Trouble enough getting parts for a 1998 model car that Volkswagen DID sell here, I cannot imagine the nightmare trying to maintain something they didn't.
Only if it’s more reliable.

Generally SDI rigs are very reliable but the electrical stuff is usually garbage, as long as the wheels go around I can live with that

I'd be interested, although I'd probalby want a TDI, not an SDI. Was the 1.2L TDI only in the Lupo 3L?

If not a TDI a Lupo GTI would be a lot of fun.
The 3L won’t be 40 state legal until 2025? (I think)

I like the SDI fuel economy, not sure I considered the little 1 liter gas car but no idea if the drivetrain would last.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The reliability thing isn't the issue. Unless you mean, it will reliably fall to pieces. Things age, they wear, in your area they rust (bad), headliners sag, door trim falls apart, etc. I wouldn't expect a 1998 Lupo (which was a CHEAP car to begin with) to be any better than any other VAG product of the time in this regard. Not too many 1998 Jetta TDIs running around anymore.

That car would almost certainly be worse to own [here] than an ALH car. Probably no better there, either. That car would be little more than an oddity, a conversation piece for fanboys like us, not something to make a daily driver.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
The reliability thing isn't the issue. Unless you mean, it will reliably fall to pieces. Things age, they wear, in your area they rust (bad), headliners sag, door trim falls apart, etc. I wouldn't expect a 1998 Lupo (which was a CHEAP car to begin with) to be any better than any other VAG product of the time in this regard. Not too many 1998 Jetta TDIs running around anymore.

That car would almost certainly be worse to own [here] than an ALH car. Probably no better there, either. That car would be little more than an oddity, a conversation piece for fanboys like us, not something to make a daily driver.
Most European cars are clean into their 3rd decade depending on where they lived.

If you mean the plastic pieces break, the headliner sags and the glovebox fails, the paint sheet peels, sure but also don’t care.

That’s why inspection, location and condition would be important.

Up through 10 years ago I drove a born in Ohio 1970 Subaru 360 as a daily. Sure it rusts but despite its journey from Japan to Ohio to here it still survived a while and the cost wasn’t much either

I can’t imagine a LUPO would be worse.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
It will be missing the floorboards so you see the ground? Have a hood that randomly opens smashing the windshield, have a leaky fuel tank and a carb that pisses the ground if you don’t shut off the valve? Have bicycle cables for the shifter clutch and throttle that need constant cleaning or they get stuck?

after repairs it was a fun car but it’s hard to imagine even a vag being that bad.