1997 Passat Wagon Cluster

rhino89523

TDI
1997 Passat
Total Newbie, I searched this out which is how I ended up on this forum and I have searched the forum.

I am a solid wrench, I'm O.k. with electrical but stronger with mechanical for sure.

My cluster is dead, shows nothing but the lights at the bottom, no digital read of odometer, no tach, no speedo, nothing. I see the king of these things no longer does them so I', in trouble there.

My questions.
1. what else will fit, I see the multi function thing, I don't think im the guy for that mod, I'd rather just get a plug and play if possible even if all the values don't present correct. I think I read similar year VR6 will work. Wanted to verify this. I need a functional odometer even if the number is incorrect just to register.
2. I have checked the fuses, all seem to work verified with test light across the fuses. I see there can be a grounding issue and there is supposed to be a cluster on the head somewhere with grounds hooked to it. Can someone help me with this? I looked and didn't see anything super obvious. I didn't have my reading glasses on and I will tonight but I didn't notice anything that seemed like a ground cluster on the head when I was following wires they all seemed to go to sensors.
3. When I remove the cluster, is there a way to check power to it? It seems like a total dead soldier.
4. Does anyone have one they want to sell.

Thats it for now. Thank you for having me here. I am anxious to have this little mileage machine operational and part of my fleet.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
There's a bracket under the hood around the engine connector and upper radiator hose that has grounds on it that need to be checked and cleaned. Parts of the cluster rely on that ground to work properly.

Look for the 10mm nut on the stud with a couple wires attached and you should find it.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The VR6 cluster will work, but it won't have the Check Engine Light (the current CEL will actually be the glow plug light), and the tachometer won't read correctly, otherwise it will work fine. I've come across a few people who ran gasser clusters before getting theirs repaired. I have a few 1995 clusters (will work, but won't be correct and are different internally than the 1996/1997 clusters) that someone can have if they pay for shipping. They do not swap any parts between the two model years.

Last edited:

crock

TDI
Passat TDI Estate 2001
There's a bracket under the hood around the engine connector and upper radiator hose that has grounds on it that need to be checked and cleaned. Parts of the cluster rely on that ground to work properly.

Look for the 10mm nut on the stud with a couple wires attached and you should find it.

Steve
Hi Steve

Searched for hours as have the same problem. Any images or other guide?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
This is a very crappy photo but it's all I could find quickly. My version is gone because..well...photobucket, so I snagged this from another site.

You can get your orientation from the large engine electrical "multiplug" (the orb of death) as is commonly known, and the "ground point" is what you're looking for.

That 10mm nut is going to have 2-3 wires under it that need to be kept clean. One of them is crucial to grounding the instrument cluster. There is another group of grounds inside the car next to the dash on the left and behind it. One of the grounds there is also important to the instrument cluster

Steve

Last edited: