1997 Jetta steering rack hardline leak

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Hey all. Does anyone know the part number for the 2 hardlines on what I believe to be a trw rack (smooth not crosshatched like zf).

Power steering just started to get heavy and when looking under the car I found the longer of the 2 hardlines (close to pass side) is rusted through at the 90 deg bend into the rack.

I have found hard to softlines on rockauto but haven't found the hardlines themselves. Also checked idparts but came up with nothing.

Just looking for part number or source for hardlines online NOT HARD TO SOFT from reservoir.

Thanks!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Pressure hose looks like it's PN 1H1 422 893T. Looks like one aftermarket maker (Sunsong) has them, and it's possible they're available from VW. The return hose appears to be PN 1H1 422 891A. Looks like those are obsolete from everyone. VW discontinued the part about 5 years ago. I just went through this with my B4 Passat: Found a pressure hose but fortunately the return hose was reusable. Otherwise I'd have to have had one made.

Last edited:

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
Pressure hose looks like it's PN 1H1 422 893T. Looks like one aftermarket maker (Sunsong) has them, and it's possible they're available from VW. The return hose appears to be PN 1H1 422 891A. Looks like those are obsolete from everyone. VW discontinued the part about 5 years ago.
Thanks IBW butt thats issue I'm having is that its neither of those hoses.

It is simply a hardline maybe about 15inches long.http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/koala_bear83/100_1596.jpg See the TRW rack, the longer of the 2 hardlines is the one that is rotted out on my car and that I would need to relpace.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’m curious if it’s a bubble/iso flare. If so, get the correct diameter line and make it. Reuse your fittings.

-Todd

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think those lines are part of the rack. i don't see them as separate items anywhere, and they appear in images of replacement racks.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think those lines are part of the rack. i don't see them as separate items anywhere, and they appear in images of replacement racks.
I believe they are part of the rack assembly, I have never seen any of them listed separately.

Best thing to do is remove the old one and figure out if they make a similar length in the same size that's sold over the counter at Napa etc. You can buy all sorts of bendable lines at most chain auto parts stores I would think that might be there too, fuel line or some such.

Steve

VdubbayouBoris

TDI
Slammed 1995 tdi passat b4 1z
Hallo my friend, i have the same dilema trying to source these for the past year as mine rotted out too. i found these http://www.powersteeringstore.co.uk/vw-golf-mk3-power-steering-rack-transfer-pipes-1992-1998.html after many months of dead ends and took the chance as a3s are near identical to b4s bar b4s being slightly wider in the subframe/rear axle and found out the longer of the two pipe fits perfect, but the smaller one will not. possably with a heat and bend properly itl line up but my short pipe was fine so didnt see the need to go that far yet! i hope its the longer of the two is the one you need :/

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i already sold a few of mine but i think i still have the long ones. if they are the same, they are yours for a small price. that is if you cant get them locally! im sure you have better options!