1997 Jetta shifting 5th gear problem

Mdjetta12

TDI
MKIII Jetta TDI
Just bought my first tdi and first manual so looking here for help with my issue. When driving on the high way I’ll be at 3k-3500 rpms in 4th going about 60-65 and when I go to shift into 5th gear the rpms shoot up close to redline. The shifter says it’s in 5th but almost feels like it’s catching 3rd instead?? Is that a sign that it needs a new gear? Or the linkage is off? Or something else? Any help would be great! Thank you!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah I'd guess you're hitting 3rd again and not 5th. It would appear that your shifter 'inards' are worn excessively and not allowing you to actually get into 5th.

You can try to adjust it, the left right action, to tighten up the system and maybe be able access 5th. At least that's the first thing I would attempt.

If you can't adjust it to make it work then you'll need to look at replacing the tower assembly, and there are a couple options for that.

Steve

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The way the shifter tower wears out, you will lose either 1st/2nd/reverse or 5th. This happens because too much up/down slop is in the system due to the worn linkage at the transmission’s shift tower. You can adjust it so it will go into 5th, but you’ll lose 1st. My suggestion is the get a replacement relay arm. I call this the “gold” arm.

Alternatively dieselgeek sells the slider element only, which replaces the worn slider on your “gold arm”. However if the non-replaceable plastic pivot section is damaged you’ll need to replace the whole thing.

It makes sense to replace this secondary “black arm” as well as it tends to wear out at the same time:

Last edited: