1997 B4 Passat TDI Sedan 5spd with Moonroof & ABS. Indian Pearl Red. MA **SOLD**

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
SOLD 11/17/21The time has come for I-Red’s next owner. I’ve owned it since Jan, 2010 (Bought Through Oilhammer after deer strike) when it had 255K miles. It now has just under 297K Miles. I’ve spent 100’s of hours and $1000’s of dollars during the 11yrs /42K mi of my ownership. The AC is cold and the heat is hot. The windows/doors/locks all work (RF could use a roll pin Adj) I did Not drive the car winters and it used to go into storage until we lost that. There are many photos in my album on this site which chronicle the work done.
Upgrades & Mods
Complete Black interior swapped from a VR6 w/heated leather (OEM Harness &switches). Headliner also recovered at that time. Fog lights (have a new set to be installed) w/correct headlight switch. Hella E-code headlights with city lights wired to DRL. Turn signal side markers in place of the Wolfsburg emblem. OEM Splash Guards were added. 15” BBS ASA (205-55-15) Aluminum alloys with NO Curbing (a couple scratches on them)
Mods also done RC 2 or 3 “Thanks Jeff” Ventectomy, 5 light Brake mod, short shifter fabricated by k-harley.
Maintenance & Repairs
done by myself or TDI Gurus sans the front end work. I used almost exclusively Components from ID-Parts.
New Battery this spring. New starter in 2017. Clutch slave cylinder replaced but didn’t help clutching. Front end rebuilt including struts/mounts, Bushings, tie-rods, ball joints. 1 axle was replaced due to a since corrected wheel balance vibration (Have the old one) Fuel pump was resealed and triple coolant hose and timing belt (Second Belt) were replaced due to fuel getting on them. AC Compressor and expansion valve replaced (Cold AC) I did the dreaded Blend-door foam replacement (Hot Heat) and at that time I replaced the panel lighting including the soldered in bulbs for the recirc & Cigar lighter socket. Rear struts/mounts/brakes and bearings. First TB Done by myself with guidance from the infamous Lug_Nut Full synthetic oil/filters as needed ~5k interval
Now for the bad
Car has been sitting since the starter was replaced and the clutch problem began. I’ve started it on occasion and even driven around the block in second gear. New Battery this spring and the car has always fired right up. CEL for GP,( have new harness) and the ABS light is on (undiagnosed). The Clearcoat on the roof, trunk, and hood have seen better days and the paint on the hood is fading. The car is Not rusty but not completely rust free. I recently discovered a small spot of bubbling at the top of the windshield (Damn)
Needs:
Clutch likely, Tires have plenty of tread but are old. Likely things that any other car that’s been sitting would need.

Asking $2500 Couple Older pics here I'll wash Vacuum and get fresh pics later this week

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Interior was swapped from Tan Cloth to Black leather and include all A,B,C pillar trim, Package tray and Carpet

The Headliner was removed and Professionally recovered at that time as well

I had a wagon back then Too

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Started the Clean-up today very hot and muggy here today in MA but not in I-Red 🥶 Started to get an Ice Cream headache 😎

These wheels clean-up beautifully
Right Front and Rear

Left Front and Rear

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm struggling a bit with the pics editing within my posts but can make new ?? I'll figure it out eventually 🧐
I have a new set of fogs for it.

This really cleans up well

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
oh man! whats up with all these B4s for sale in the past week! :geek: wish i could convince wife we need another volkswagen. would love a b4 wagon, but a sedan would be nice.... HMMM..... nice car!!!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Damnnn. This red is my next favorite behind porcelain, windsor and silk blue. I bought Mcginks 97 Windsor Blue Passat over 10 yrs. ago( holy smokes, time flies). Honest and upfront seller, If I didn't have the '03 I think I'd buy this one.... too bad it wasn't for sale when the 97 B4 was totaled back in '15 :(....

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Bob The main reason for parting with this is the old knees (One old, One new) so clutching isn't fun anymore. I'm trying to find the TB record. I know it's had 2 while under my care. 1st was soon after I started driving it and second (??around 2015ish??) after the IP was resealed due to fuel getting on it.
On another note, I finished cleaning the exterior today and am adding more pics now that got the hang of that. I'll start on the interior next. It won't need much more that a vacuuming, wipe-down, and of course the leather will get another conditioning. Here's a pic of today

I'll get this cleaned up next. The New Fogs went in today also

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Todays exterior Cleaning Not sure why some of my posts can be edited and some cannot. I'm trying to keep the pics all together but...

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
First TB Done by myself with guidance from the infamous Lug_Nut
I learned a valuable lesson on that one: Do NOT trust that the stud will remain secure in the block. Mcgink came back from FLA with no tension when the stud unscrewed from the block enough to pop the tensioner tang out of its pocket. Somehow the belt never jumped. From that one close call on I'd always remove the tensioner stud and re-install it with thread lock. .

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I learned a valuable lesson on that one: Do NOT trust that the stud will remain secure in the block. Mcgink came back from FLA with no tension when the stud unscrewed from the block enough to pop the tensioner tang out of its pocket. Somehow the belt never jumped. From that one close call on I'd always remove the tensioner stud and re-install it with thread lock. .
I remember, it would likely have ended my infatuation with TDI's since I think that was after "The Family Wagon" had puked her Tang. Thanks again for Helping me through that whole Head R&R too. I'm mulling over having I-Red's clutch done but I'm afraid I won't want to sell it if I do :)

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the Timing Belt receipt and it was done at 287K (10K mi. ago) 12/11/2013 along with the fuel pump reseal, Y hose, coolant flush, and a few other things. Sounds about right miles wise since my first Knee surgery was 1/14 and it's been driven sparingly since then. TKR followed 6/20

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally got around to Vacuuming and wiping down the Leather. These are pics from today.

And the Junk in the trunk is cleared out. I have a Weather-Tech liner that will go with.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Wish I could have bought it :( sigh... But probably best I don't have more cars...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You just can't stop, can you, Dave? Your B4 "habit" is like my A4 habit.

Glad it went to a good home. As my B4 ages, I appreciate it more and more. These are special vehicles.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Haha! You lucky dog Dave! I should have known ..

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Yea, I thought long and hard about it. This is #10 for me. Kevin really showed the car the stewardship it deserves and I hope to continue that with repairs and a couple of tasteful mods then a full paint job in the original indigo red. This car will not be getting a receiver hitch and like the storm grey one I've still got will get put up for the winter months. It is the most well sorted B4 I've seen in a while.
I would have made a move for Steve's 6 speed B4 but I-red's glorious black leather interior was the deciding factor.