1996 Passat TDI Wagon - Columbia, SC

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
SOLD 11/22/2015 - without the extra parts, so I'll post those up probably the end of next month.

1996 VW Passat TDI Wagon - Columbia, SC, $2500

For Sale is my 1996 VW Passat TDI Wagon. Details are as follows:
Mileage: 327,616*
Color: Indian Red
Condition: Not too bad

More Pictures: deleted upon sale

Video 1: deleted upon sale
Video 2: deleted upon sale

I'm what appears to be the 5th owner of this car. I bought it Feb 2014 with roughly 304k miles* as a replacement for my B4 sedan that was totaled a few weeks earlier. I had it repainted and it served as my daily driver until this October when I decided to sale it. It has taken me this long to get it ready to sale solely because I've moved into a position at work that requires frequent travel and have been out of town. Reason for sale is because I've decided after 9 years to move on from the B4 Passat platform to the A5 Jetta.

The Good: It runs and drives
Heat and A/C work! The PO fixed the heater flaps, no blowing foam!
All windows work. All door handles work.
Windows are tinted, unknown level. This could be a con depending on your local laws.
Installed stereo has Bluetooth, MP3 via USB or CD, Aux input.
Clean title.
Tires are about 50%, no plugs or patches
New battery May 2015
Injection pump resealed June 2015
MFA instrument cluster (with 7k tach though, and it reads correctly)
Clear headlights
'95 headlight switch with parking and front fogs but there are no fog lights installed.
Little to no rust.
Injectors with .205 nozzles

The Bad: Could use a little work
It has started leaking oil. Up until I did work on the injection pump in June it didn't leak any oil. It could be because I didn't replace the valve cover gasket, or it could be something else.
It rattles. The rear muffler is delaminating and that has started making noise at idle. Sometimes at idle or takeoff there is another rattle which I believe to be the flex pipe.
It whines. Ever since buying the car there has been a little turbo whine. I've not determined why exactly it is. It does not appear to have changed any over the last year.
It has a sunroof. I never noticed any sunroof leaks until the weekend we received some 20 inches of rain. It was parked on an incline at that time, and water built up in the right rear floor board. I bailed and vacuumed it out, and do not know if was because of the massive amount of rain that overcome the sunroof drain, or if it is time for a cleaning.
It comes with three keys. One for the driver’s door, one for the ignition, and one for everything else. This is why I installed remote entry.
Timing belt has 10k miles until due again
3rd gear will grind going in if shifted up too fast. Add half a second to your shift and there is no problem. Also no problem noted downshifting.
In the pictures you will see some yellow wires, they are going to an oil pressure gauge. The high RPM low oil pressure warning was activating in a patern I couldn't always discern, so I installed the gauge to help me figure things out. Pressure can be high when the warning is going off, and I've eliminated all but the oil pressure switch.

*When I bought the car the cluster was dead, but the PO said it was around 303k when it died a month before. So I based the mileage as 304k. I put a cluster in it and kept up with the mileage and used that when programming the MFA cluster.

At my price point above, I'll include the following extra parts. If you do not want these, we can negotiate on the price some. GLX leather wrapped steering wheel (5/10 condition), VDO GLX instrument cluster (manual), Motometer GLX instrument cluster (manual), TDI instrument cluster (minus MIL LED), broken TDI instrument cluster (for parts), Euro headlight switch, and anything thing else B4 part related. I'm not including in this sale my tools or service manual.

If you have any questions about the car please let me know. I've tried including the most important things

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Not sure why this fine specimen didn't sell in like 20 minutes but it looks great IMO. I am partial to the Indian Pearl Red though :D. How bad is the oil leak and where does it leak from?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
A single spot may be 1 to 2 inches, and the blob of them all is much more. I never saw a drop of oil before working on the IP, so it may very well be from the valve cover, seeing how I didn't replace the gasket. I never looked far into it, as it didn't seem catastrophic. Work hours being what they are I have to take time off just to change oil and the like. One of the reasons I hope it goes to someone who can spend more time fixing the small things.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Good that it looks like the leak is RF IMO. LF would be more of a concern (Rear main seal)
Turbo whine didn't sound that bad in your video, My wagon was louder than that but I kinda liked it. Great FS ad BTW. Full disclosure and transparency is the way to go. Kudos to you for that.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I tried to put it all out there that I could think of or knew, because I drove 6 hours when I bought it and the condition was not fully disclosed. I decided I didn't want to waste anyone's time as I know how far we can go for these cars.
I updated with info about third gear and the oil pressure gauge. Someone's questions made me think about them.