1996 Passat TDI - Cruise Control Help/Glow Plug Light Blink

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
I changed my clutch about 10,000 miles ago. At the time I changed it I disconnected all the pedal assembly/turn signal stalk ect. since I was doing a full top down restoration mechanically of my car.

Anyway since that time car has been driving perfectly but I have been unable to set up the cruise properly. Would someone be able to help me over phone to discuss setting up the cruise? I know a few of you have had fixed this common issue specifically the people with GLX conversions have disconnected everything.

Whenever I drive a few miles my glow plug light blinks on dash. As soon as hit the brake pedal it turns off. When I slide the cruise to ON and press the button it does not engage cruise control speed. I know both my clutch pedal and brake pedal have switches I removed during the process. I'm unsure how to trouble shoot. I connected VAG COM cable and it does seem to read my brake pedal. Not really sure what to do, would like my cruise control back for a road trip to ocean.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Here is the VAGCOM readings for various state.

Brake neutral

Brake pressed

Cruise off

Cruise on neutral

Cruise set button depressed

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
In the first picture it shows a "1 under the F47 designation, which means it is seeing F47 as activated when nothing is pressed. According to the Bentley, F47 is the "Brake Vacuum Vent Valve Switch for cruise control/diesel fuel injection (DFI) (00629)"
The 00629 is the VAG fault code number. Are you getting any fault codes showing up on your Vag-Com?

I would double check the switches and make sure they're working and connected properly What I would do is with the VCDS running and looking at group 006, disconnect one switch and see what changes (0 or 1) and then plug it back in and move to the next switch. When the "1"for the F47 changes to a "0", that is the one that is giving you a problem.

According to the block in the picture, the F36 is shown as active when you press on the brake, but in the Bentley it's listed as the clutch Vacuum Vent Switch, so do you have the two hooked up backwards, meaning the clutch wire is hooked to the brake switch and the brake wire is hooked to the clutch switch?

Also according to the Bentley, the F36 connects the brown/blue wire to the white/red wire and F47 connects the brown/blue wire to the white/yellow wire.

Sorry I didn't see your PM until I arrived home from TDIDaveNH's, where I was all afternoon pulling parts off a B4 headed to the scrapper, having a beer, and just hanging out because he's good company.

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I have this exact same problem to a T. I even live in Washington and have a tdi bus ;). I'm not nearly as capable on vcds, but I've changed all the sensors, switched the wiring back and forth in every combination possible, checked and rechecked grounds-- all for frustration and naught. It's almost like the ecu forgets that the brake pedal sensor is there, and then you show it that it is (press on the brake pedal), and then it's cool for awhile until it forgets again. I don't understand how the ecu can see the brake sensor when you use it, but then it looses track of it time and time again. That might be a gross misinterpretation of how it actually works, but it sure seems to describe it.

A big freaking trophy and a microbrew 6 pack of your choice if you solve, or point to the path of a solution. I'd really like cruise control back and for my glow plug light not to blink at me anymore.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'll bet it's a chafed wire.

Drop it off and I'll have a look. :p

But seriously, I'd trace the wires down with a schematic one at a time, I'll bet you'll find the culprit. It shouldn't be too hard since you know which wires they are.

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996
Check TV11 large green connection under dash, from engine ECM T-68- 44, black/red. The other side of TV11 goes to W4 on fuse panel, larger black/red. It unhooked, check and see, thats what my BK did. Artie

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Well Surfbus, did you figure it out? I did, but I'm just seeing if you did too and what you did to fix it... Ok I didn't. Hoping my Bentley's, that are supposed to get here Thursday, will fix it for me. I'm just going to put them in the car and leave them in there until it's fixed. They better not let me down!

Abacus: my sister just bought a house in south Portland: 04106. We'll all go visit once she's settled in. Maybe then I can buy you one of those beers I owe you for all the great help and advice. Might be closer to a keg at this point!

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
I am still very, very confused. Here is a quick bunch of snapshots of my switch connectors. Can anyone see anything plugged incorrectly?

brake pedal

brake pedal

clutch pedal

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI

Blue switch is clutch

1 black switch for brake lites, lower with a nub, the other black switch is for ECM
Your pics got color washed when flash, looks like blue switch on brake?
The connectors are not keyed, but color coded.
I don't know if it makes a difference, the TDI Ecm switches are not vented, like the gassers?
My 1995 B4V GLX is a swap

Last edited:

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
1 black switch for brake lites, lower with a nub, the other black switch is for ECM
Your pics got color washed when flash, looks like blue switch on brake?
The connectors are not keyed, but color coded.
I don't know if it makes a difference, the TDI Ecm switches are not vented, like the gassers?
My 1995 B4V GLX is a swap
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253443

As pictured in this thread my F47 is stuck at 1 instead of 0 in neutral state. I'm really at a loss to know what to adjust or check. Both clutch and brake switches have perfect continuity when checking with ohmmeter.

How do I adjust this with a vag com? I need that state to display 0, if that makes sense. Also could you take a picture of your original 97 TDI set up. I'm afraid the pedal section may be different with yours being a gasoline model swap.

On my car the blue and black switch is on the brake pedal. Another black switch is on my clutch. Are you saying that both black switches should be on the brake pedal!!?

When I put them back in I color coordinated the switch with the corresponding wiring harness socket.

Last edited:

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Pm replied
If your blue connector has a yellow/white and a brown / blue
And your black connector has a white / red and a brown / Blue
Switch connectors and switches.
Blue is ecm clutch
Black is ecm brake

Last edited:

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Pm replied
If your blue connector has a yellow/white and a brown / blue
And your black connector has a white / red and a brown / Blue
Switch connectors and switches.
Blue is ecm clutch
Black is ecm brake
@artie b

You are the man! Thanks so much for your detail help on forum and phone. Me and my dad took care of this today. No pesky glow plug flash and best of all my cruise control works like it did before clutch change. This will make my road trips MUCH more enjoyable driving a TDI as it should be driven.

Basically we had the blue clutch switch on the right side by the brake pedal. The black one was on my clutch pedal. Both these switches have a very similar shape so it's easy to mix them up. The narrow spade black switch goes into the upper position on brake pedal and the wider black spade switch goes on the lower position of the brake pedal. The blue switch goes solo on the clutch pedal.

My Ebahn manual had a bunch of gibberish about a vacuum valve which simply does not exist on a B4 TDI. So ignore that part of the terribly written service manual.

Last edited:

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Your welcome. .. before I got to involved, Abucus nailed it.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Your welcome. .. before I got to involved, Abucus nailed it.
Yes @Abucus rocks as well! He was the guru that helped us with the injection pump set up in the Vag-Com screens. Both of you are truly genius and well versed with all aspects of TDI cars. I cannot put to words how grateful I am to your tribal knowledge of these German cars.

bblume

Veteran Member
TDI
92 Vw mk2 gtd
So I'm a bit confused...but on my donor96 passat (swapping into an mk2) there were two switches on the brake pedal (one blue and one black) and then another black switch on the clutch pedal.
Am I correct in reading that both switches on the brake should be black and the blue switch belongs on the clutch pedal???

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So I'm a bit confused...but on my donor96 passat (swapping into an mk2) there were two switches on the brake pedal (one blue and one black) and then another black switch on the clutch pedal.
Am I correct in reading that both switches on the brake should be black and the blue switch belongs on the clutch pedal???
Hi Brock
Should look like this:

One switch on clutch for cruise, two switches on brake, 1 for cruise and 2 for brake lights.