1996 Passat 1z tdi glow plugs issues

TDI
1996 Passat tdi
Hey there, I'm new to all these tdi motors. I'm in the process of buying a 1996 Passat tdi and when I looked at it, the glow plugs didn't work. It fired up fine as it's not cold here now, but after I drove it around the block and shut it off, I started it up again and the glowplug icon came on for about 1 sec then shutoff again. I put a test light in the plug that plugs into the glowplug and there's no power getting to it. Buddy said he thinks it's something to do with the glowplug module, wherever that is. I did some searching on here and all I can find is the fuse and relay for the glowplug circuit but no module. I'm assuming a 1 of the 2 but has anybody had this problem before? As well, when I went to unlock the door with the key, the back windows rolled down about 2 inches, that can't be normal?? Front windows don't work at all and sunroof leaks somewhere lol.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The glow plugs won't turn on if the engine is warm. There is a glow plug relay under the dash, they don't call it a glow plug module, but that's basically what it is.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

TDI
1996 Passat tdi
I figured they wouldn't turn on when warm, but the guy did let me know they don't work, they used to live in Alberta and would have a hell of a time trying to start it. Once I get it, I'll put a new relay in and hopefully that fixes her up. Thanx man.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I figured they wouldn't turn on when warm, but the guy did let me know they don't work, they used to live in Alberta and would have a hell of a time trying to start it. Once I get it, I'll put a new relay in and hopefully that fixes her up. Thanx man.
Could also be a bad coolant temp sensor or wiring. I'd recommend doing some testing with a multimeter first, making sure there's power and ground at the relay, making sure that the glow plugs have conductivity. I can't remember if the 1z has the system that will throw a code in the ecm, but I'd hook it up to vcds and check if there's any codes related.

TDI
1996 Passat tdi
How would I find codes in the ecm? I know on my Dodge diesels I can turn the key on and off 3 times and it will show what codes are stored as well as my tuners read them but these tdis r new to me

Mozambiquer

TDI
How would I find codes in the ecm? I know on my Dodge diesels I can turn the key on and off 3 times and it will show what codes are stored as well as my tuners read them but these tdis r new to me
You will either need to get vag-com (one of the best tools for Volkswagen ownership!) Or find someone who has it.
https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/
It requires a Windows computer, or running Windows on a Mac.
You can also get vcds lite which you can use a generic interface and it'll work for older cars.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I recommend that you review the different fuse box information in the sticky at the top of the forum as it relates to the glow plug system etc. The system changed between 96/97 and what followed in the 97-99 Mk3 cars. It could be simple or it might not be.

Knowing what to expect in the fuse / relay panel is important so that you don't end up causing more damage. The relevant sticky is here and I hope that no one has already messed with it so that you don't have a bigger issue.

As much as the GP's aren't that important above 40F they will become more important when the temps drop further. Depending on where you live out there on the island it may not be that important but it might be, don't know. Had a friend out your way years back that had diesels that said it wasn't all that important.

Also would be good to get a copy of the B4 manuals, electronic is available gratis but the two volume set gets expensive if you can find it.

If you have a chain auto parts store around they can likely read the problem but they may not be able to tell you much about what the error is other than a code, especially since your car is a 96 and might be OBDD vs OBDII. VCDS is the prefered mechanism for TDI's and that would tell you more but if you don't know someone with one on hand it means forking over money for one and waiting. It would be best if you can find someone with one that you can use. Even the older versions (with updated software) can do the basics on the Mk3/B4 tdi cars.

Good luck and welcome to tdiclub!!

Steve

Mozambiquer

TDI

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The OBD-D cars do not have glow system monitoring, the OBD-2 cars do.

In any event, the system is pretty simple.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The GP light you’re seeing is likely just the key on bulb check.

I guess you need to determine if you have the original black cased BK ecu or the silver cased GQ, which was part of the smoke recall fix.

If it’s the BK, I believe codes can be pulled with some type of key sequence, or something along those lines.

-Todd