1996 Jetta, AAZ engine - Injection pump rebuild

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Hi Guys,

My brother has a 1996 Jetta with the AAZ engine. His injection pump is leaking and he is told by his mechanic it needs a rebuild/reseal. My question is are new pumps still available? Does this engine share the same pump as the more common AHU or 1Z engines? Any recommended rebuild shops in Canada ideally? One shop that has been recommended is http://performancediesel.ca/index.htm

His mechanic wants to send it to a place in Calgary for a rebuild and I worry about their familiarity with VW pumps.

Thanks for any input.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Giles (Performance Diesel as linked) is the best, bar none, and I've gladly paid the shipping from Edmonton to Markham and back again several times over the years to have him work on my pumps.

Never found anyone in Alberta that seemed to have a handle on the older IDI pumps (it's not the same as the TDI pumps you mention, although shares alot of the same design), although to be fair I've not looked lately, and if all it needs is a re-seal it's a pretty straightforward job for any diesel pump shop.

Just DO NOT buy a "new" or "rebuilt" AAZ pump from anyone named Hans in North Carolina. :)

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I second Giles. If you are actually getting a rebuild rather than just a reseal Giles can also build you a hotrod pump. Though that's going to cost more than just a reseal.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to get the proper reseal kit for the AAZ pump, there's a few little differences like the cold start lever (which is a common leak spot) and a few other things. If you get the number off your pump (the Bosch number, it'll be something like 0 4xx xxx xxx) any Bosch shop should be able to give you the right parts. Yep a reseal can be done you just need to be careful and follow the process, these pumps have lots of bits that can come loose if you aren't paying attention.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Most importantly, AAZ pumps like to rust and get full of dirt in all the crevices on the outside. It needs to be clean, clean, clean before you open it up.

x3 for Giles. I used to work there, top notch guy. These pumps are his specialty and he can really make a difference in the power output. If you are going the rebuild route, pay the extra for the performance pump. Well worth it. Last I heard a rebuild from Giles is 750 and a performance pump starts at 950.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
So to answer my own question it looks like the myturbodiesel.com videos will not really apply to an AAZ pump.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/i...eaking-seal-replacement-bosch-ve-vw-audi-tdi/

The pumps look quite different. I am now doubting my ability to do a reseal while the pump is in the car and to adjust timing/IQ afterwards if VCDS does not apply.

Can anyone point me to a good AAZ rebuild how to? I have searched hard on vwdiesel.net and google and only really find instructions in detail for the later pumps.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I've never seen one... and suspect there probably isn't.. most people just do "assembly is the reverse of disassembly". :):)

There's only a few seals you can do with the pump on the car... and there's really no point in only doing a few, since the internal pressure will simply find the next weakest seal.

Having done a bunch myself it's really not a challenging job... go slow, take pictures, keep everything surgically clean.

This drawing is probably the best exploded diagram I've found... and it shows the one possible "oops"... there are two internal assemblies that can connect 180 degrees out if you're not paying attention. The way to tell it's lined up properly is called out in red:

Perhaps more importantly, before you pull the pump and re-seal it you'll need to figure out who's going to time it for you when you're done. If you're lucky it's the later version of the AZZ pump that is pre-timed and just needs a pin in the alignment hole, but most of them require a dial indicator and adapter, and you'll for certain need a jig to lock the camshaft, a puller for the cam sprocket, and a few other do-dads. Full HOW-TO here:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=28

Oh, and if you don't know when the timing belt and tensioner were last done on the car... now's probably the time!

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, there's no IQ adjustment or anything like that, instead there are a bunch of screws to adjust till everything is proper, kind of like an old carburetor. If any of them are turned too far one way or the other it won't run right but it's not exactly rocket science to get it in the ballpark.

Like Vince recommends really you should pull the pump to do this and deal with the timing belt at the same time. I don't blame you if you are feeling nervous resealing the pump yourself; these pumps ARE fairly expensive to replace if you break them. If you're not comfortable with it you'd be better to pay a shop to do the pump and do the removal and reinstall plus the timing belt yourself.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks guys.

The local mechanic my brother is dealing with wanted $4000 to remove the pump, send it for a rebuild and put it back in. Not clear if this included a timing belt job but wow!

I think the plan will be to get a rebuilt pump from Giles, remove our pump and send it back to Giles and install the rebuilt pump. Timing belt etc was done about 10k km ago. Safe to reuse it?

My estimate is at most this should take the mechanic about 5 hours. Sound about right? If it is, $1500 sounds more like it...

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah really it could be done in about 3 hours tops on an AAZ. $4k is too much.

You COULD reuse the belt. It should still have plenty of life left in it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ok thanks guys.

The local mechanic my brother is dealing with wanted $4000 to remove the pump, send it for a rebuild and put it back in. Not clear if this included a timing belt job but wow!

I think the plan will be to get a rebuilt pump from Giles, remove our pump and send it back to Giles and install the rebuilt pump. Timing belt etc was done about 10k km ago. Safe to reuse it?

My estimate is at most this should take the mechanic about 5 hours. Sound about right? If it is, $1500 sounds more like it...
Yeah, ditto what VanBCguy said. That $4k price is outrageous, I would even consider $1500 to be out of range on this although I suppose if one did a complete TB change and set pump timing properly you might get there.

I should ask down at the Bosch shop what they get for a pump reseal and calibration, somehow I don't think it would be more than $500 but it could be.

Steve