1996 glow plugs

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
I have a 1996 TDI passat. I wanted to change the glow plugs and the gentleman asked if I needed 10mm or 12mm? I asked for the difference...he said one is for the TDI with a glow plug preheater, and the other is not. Can anyone shed a little more light on this? Plus, how do you get the bus bar off? On my older diesels I used to remove the 8mm nut and take the copper bus bar off each plug. There is a large one piece rubber thing on all four...does it pull off? Thanks :)

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
if u have an a3/b4 you probably need 10mm glow plugs. if u are not sure then take harness off and take a 10mm long socket and put it over one of the glow plugs.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi
10mm are for the engine glow plugs, the 12mm are for the coolant heat plugs...from what I know. Non of the online parts sites provide enough info to determine which one actually goes where. thepartsbin has about the cheapest price on Bosch plugs out there...that I've found, and if you over more then $50 the shipping is free...I do believe.

ciao
steve a

mcquinn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 MK4 automatic Jetta
Thanks to Bowlerman and Steve Addy. The glow plugs are 10mm and the bus bar does just pull off. Just like "gofaster" (Brian '96 passat) I had not replaced mine in 243,000 miles. They don't look bad. I'll be reading other threads to find more info about the start up smoke. But you guys helped with getting the glow plugs out...thanks again.

reiddo1

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, black on black, 2010 Golf Sportwagon, black on black
Originally posted by Steve Addy:
When you install/reinstall plugs / harness I'd be sure and put some dielectric grease on the fittings. Cant say for sure that it helps but I do anything I can to enhance the operation of the heat plug system.

good luck!

steve a
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have had a CEL with a retrieved code via VAG COM showing a glow plug electrical circuit problem. Glow Plugs measured OK with ohm meter and code was cleared to return a short time later. The engine did not fire up readily on a cold start after engaging the glow plugs as well. After using dielectric grease on all plugs and considerable use since that time, I have no CEL return. I think members may be premature in replacing harnesses prior to applying dielectric grease. The engine fires more readily now on cold starts.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
When you install/reinstall plugs / harness I'd be sure and put some dielectric grease on the fittings. Cant say for sure that it helps but I do anything I can to enhance the operation of the heat plug system.

good luck!

steve a