1996 B4 Front Suspension Finally completed (pictures)

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Apologize in advance for the long post. Today we finally picked up the 1996 sedan with completed front suspension upgrade to 1996 GLX /VR6 OEM plus. All OEM, OEM plus or German parts sourced form ebay Latvia sellers, or from Germany via the parts department at Harbour View VW in western Canada who can still source B4 parts from VW Canada, VW Germany, or Classic Parts VW, Germany, albeit you pay the extra shipping to the US. We used re-built OEM B4 VR6 axles from a Gainesville, FL online seller. Our VW USA, does not want to supply most parts. A few odds and ends are common with later models, and a knowledgeable and friendly local VW dealership parts counter guy, can still search the system for you and order from VW USA, or if on the shelf of other US dealers arrange transfer. But as I said above knowledgeable and friendly are the key words.
.... and no CCCrap parts were used anywhere!!!

I'm the second owner and I purchased the car and drove it as my daily driver since 2005.

A public THANK YOU to Abacus and Steve A. and several other Forum members, for answering many ignorant questions I sent them. While I manage any body repairs and do the interior work myself, I rely for electrical, suspension, engine, and regular maintenance, on local guru aka my son, who used to own a 1996 and was an active member of the Forum for many years before "converting" me to the VW B4 TDI engines.

Everything that hangs on the K-frame or is attached to it was changed to 1996 B4 VR6 OEM spec parts. The front and back now have the BBS RX 226 (BBS USA confirmed as dealer option but not in the VW catalog) and they have the exact specs as the bottle caps. Offset, diameter etc. The fronts will now easily outlive me :) with braided stainless lines (early B5 connector specs needed), powder coated dust shields (the B4 VR6 5 lug shields were the hardest part to source - Vortex and numerous JY didn't have them). Zimmerman Made in Germany VR6 drilled discs all around, OEM size, and rebuilt stock VR6 calipers powder coated red, up front. And the MK IV, aluminum rear caliper upgrade in the rear. The rear red aluminum caliper upgrade kit and correct stainless lines were still available from ECS Tuning, but you had to search for them and send links to the sales staff.
Quick pics below.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I agree with prior post that it should have been stock in this form.

In Europe you could get the B4 with the 5x "Plus" suspension and the 110hp engine but here in the US we got (which is typical for VW) the mid-range or lower model. Same goes with Jetta (Vento) and the Golf & GTI. The 1996 20 Jahre GTI was produced with the 110 AFN engine in the factory and got the GTI PLus suspension.

Nice job Elias, looks so good!!

Steve

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
Looks nice!
The red one I used to have had the 5 lug conversion and I miss it. Now both my cars are on 14 inch wheels.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Now that I have 16" wheels, 5-lug configuration ( B4 VR6 size - 16" X 7 ET 35, 5X100 mm), I am looking for a VR6/GLX 5-lug donut steel spare wheel 3A0 601 025-03C and of course this is NLA from VW US.
I already placed a WTB on Vortex, and searched e-bay with no luck. Anyone here with a tip where to find a clean not rusted correct wheel, please send me PM.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
3A5 075 101 rear flaps --- bought mine NOS from ebay
misplaced part # for FRONT flaps which I bought from parts dept at my local VW dealer.

Matthew13

TDI
97 Passat Sedan, “Lili von Shtupp”
TDIL3Dad - she's a beauty! Love the color and am jealous of the non-peeling clear coat.

Quick (weird) question as I'm gathering information...do you have any idea if the Ball Joint attachment points in the control arm are round (like just the size of the bolt and don't have any room to move) or if they're oval and allow for adjustment? Is your 5-lug conversion even remotely like the 4-lug setup in terms of Ball Joint/control arm connection?

Asking for a friend...

Thanks,
Matthew