1993 toyota sr5 ALH tdi swap (3 week project)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
do you still have the stock intank pump laying around?...maybe you can run that and just regulate it down....I'm currently running the stock taco in tank pump and have it regulated to 12psi....but I'm considering Dan's suggestion to run a larger line and check valve to prevent high RPM starvation...still need to do the the fuel pressure test at rpm to see If I'm going into vacuum

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
On my MK2, I'm using the small in-tank pump (from the gasser) and it's quite enought (and more...) for the ALH with 11mm, .260 nozzles, GTB2056VL, etc... I'm sure it's not the problem here...

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I think he has solved the problem that caused him to begin the thread. It is apparently running fine now.

Now he is just trying to ensure that his top end performance is not limited by the fuel flow.

He does not have the original fuel pump installed. He has a 35gph pump installed.

It may be perfectly adequate, or it may not, to ensure that he has a positive pressure at his fuel feed into the IP.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i tried to do a pressure test today and found out that the 36 GPH pump i installed wasn't working. My pressure gauge showed a 10 in vacuum from the IP. So i went out and bought a Mr. Gasket 105 GPH pump from advance auto parts. It was my only option because nobody in town had a high flow low pressure fuel pump in stock. So i installed it and at idle it holds around 8 psi with no regulator. At wide open throttle it dropped to around 2 psi. But maintained above a vacuum.

Next i did the flow test on the return side of the IP as DanG144 described and calculated at wide open throttle it returns 2.4 Liters per minute.

Does that sound like enough? It will fill up a milk jug pretty quick at the speed.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
That flow is lower than I would have guessed, but believable. I would have thought it would be closer to 3.5 lpm.

Thanks for measuring the flow and reporting back. Do you have any idea of the HP your engine is putting out? Though the actual fuel consumption portion of the flow is low, you have to add the fuel burned to the return flow to get the total.

It sounds as if you have enough flow now, for sure. Any positive pressure is enough to prevent fuel voids in your pump.

Can you tell any seat of the pants difference in performance?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ido not know the exact horsepower. All I know is that I installed the power plus 520 injector nozzles, and have the stage 3 rocket chip tune. There website does not show the stats of the tune, but if it is similar to malone tuning then it should be around 134 Hp and 235 torque.

How do I figure out the fuel consumption to add to the return fuel flow rate. I tried to just measure it where it enters the IP but without a little back pressure on the pump it doen't flow. So I put my finger over the end a little and it got messy quick.

As far as in the seat difference it seems to run better and very peppy. It will through so much smoke at wide open throttle that you can't see the road behind you.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You may want to bump your IQ number up some. This will reduce your total allowed fueling, and reduce the smoke. Of course you could get your tune updated by Jeff, but simply bumping the QA section of the IP may be sufficient.

What turbo are you using? How much air flow are you getting at 3500 rpm and full boost? Just curious.

Your fuel flow is obviously sufficient, since you have positive pressure at full power and high rpm. So determining any other fuel flow numbers is more or less an intellectual exercise for you. It will however help others that are looking to buy a pump; they can perhaps buy a smaller, cheaper unit that uses less power.

What does VCDS estimate your fuel consumption as being during full power, full throttle? I think the ALH has a field for that; most engines do. This VCDS reading is only an approximation, and is closest when IQ is about 2.0-3.0 at warm idle.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hey Dan...what kind of HP/torque numbers is the PD lift pump good for in a VE application?....I may be interested in replacing my stock FI pump for one of your PD lift pump motors :)

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Dusty, from your trans choice, tire size and gear ratio(4.10s?) you should be turning about 2675RPM at 75MPH. That's not a bad combo. With the R150, 5th of .838, it would put it at 2637RPM. And if the Supra gear works, .753, it drops it to 2370RPM.
Neat gear calculator for figuring out all ratios/speeds.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Can't quite tell from the pics/video's, what radiator/fan setup did you go with? My Beetle setup is too wide to fit the Toyota space.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the radiator and fan assembely straight out of the 2002 tdi jetta. It was a little to wide for the Toyota but with a little modifying it fit like a glove.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Dusty, were you ever able to get any more videos? A few of the exhaust clips don't have functioning audio. I'd love to hear/see more action. Thanks! Also, are you running a MAF/EGR?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I was wondering if anyone knows if I could fit vnt17 turbo? Is the vnt17 going to be bigger towards the starter? You can barely slide a piece of paper between the starter and the vnt15 exhaust manifold as seen in the picture below.

Im only asking because I have already slung two vnt15 turbos apart from over boosting with ECU tune. I am hoping by upgrading to the vnt17 it will last a lot longer.

Also interested in what y'all think would be better the vnt17 or the 17/22 hybrid if the 17 manifold will fit?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I think the best way would be to make or buy a custom exhaust manifold that picks the turbo up and away from the block, that is if it doesn't interfere with the hood.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I would love to do that but i don't really have the tools to make my own manifold. To buy one would cost more than i have in the entire engine. I would love the 17/22 or vnt17 if it would fit because I think if it will clear the starter I would be able to continue to use my current A/C mount. Just wondering if I were to try to build my own manifold where could i get the manifold flange to start the manifold or would I have to build it from scratch? The only place i have seen it so far is darksidedevelopments.com.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
hey Dusty .... you could use a BHW manifold and turbo or ugrade the 1749va to a bv43a ...im running the bhw mani/turbo on my truck and have tons of clearance
Is there any chance you have a picture of your turbo installed in truck? Also I'm not very familiar with the bhw. It seems that the engine was in 04-05 passat. Would the bhw manifold be on any other year model vehicle? Just trying to find out before I start calling junkyards. And tell me if I'm wrong but the stock turbo on the bhw is basically a vnt17 and im not sure where to find a bv43a. I've never of heard of it.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Is there any chance you have a picture of your turbo installed in truck? Also I'm not very familiar with the bhw. It seems that the engine was in 04-05 passat. Would the bhw manifold be on any other year model vehicle? Just trying to find out before I start calling junkyards. And tell me if I'm wrong but the stock turbo on the bhw is basically a vnt17 and im not sure where to find a bv43a. I've never of heard of it.
heres a pic of the turbo and starter orientation ...keep in mind im using a 3rz starter which clocks even farther away from the turbo but a stock starter will have tons of clearance or you could just mod your bell housing and use a 3rz starter and save the hassle and expense of swapping turbos ;)
as for sourcing a BHW setup you can find one at a junkyard or contact one the euro vendors for an AFN manifold (same as bhw save the EGT port) and BV turbo

Last edited:

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well after doing more figuring it looks like the bhw or afn manifold will put the turbo to high for my current a/c setup. I like a/c so i think i am back to fitting a vnt17 or vnt17/22. I am thinking that since they are a drop in upgrade that the exhaust side can't change much or it wouldn't be a drop in upgrade. I know the compressor side will take a little modification but thats not a problem. It would be really nice to not have to modify the current exhaust pipe and the starter still fit.
I have found a vnt17 turbo brand new for $850 but I've talked him down to $700. The only downfall is that he won't be available for another 2 weeks and i would like to get my truck back on the road asap. Are there any better deals out there. This is a guy I found on craigslist. It appears to be the name brand Garrett turbo. I would love a 17/22 if anyone had one that they wanted to get rid of.

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
I did the 17/22 but switched to the 3.4 starter. The 3.0 starter was way too long. My tune is up to 26psi, and it responds very nicely.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think there is enough difference between the vnt17 and vnt17/22 to make it worth spending the extra $700. $700 is the price difference is if the guy on craigslist still sales his to me. If he doesn't then i guess it would be a $500 difference because vnt17 is $900 everywhere else.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Not worth the extra money in my opinion. You only gain 10 hp or so over the vnt17. I would go with a gt2056. Or vnt2056

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Not worth the extra money in my opinion. You only gain 10 hp or so over the vnt17. I would go with a gt2056. Or vnt2056
This. There is more mods out there to get more than 10 extra hp for far less than the extra money.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the S7 karmatdi turbo upgrade I ended up going with. It spools much faster and it is unreal how much power it has at the low end. I have a lot of leaks in my my new discharge pipe so I am planning on wrapping it in fiberglass this weekend.

Very happy with turbo.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I just recently reinstalled my injectors after sending them off to get rebuilt by Diesel Injection in Portland, Oregon. Great people to work with. Very fast and great communication. Any ways before the rebuild the truck was getting about 21 mpg on veggie and after the rebuild I am now getting 32 mpg on veggie so probably closer to 35.5 on diesel.

In conclusion it was money well spent.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Well I just recently reinstalled my injectors after sending them off to get rebuilt by Diesel Injection in Portland, Oregon. Great people to work with. Very fast and great communication. Any ways before the rebuild the truck was getting about 21 mpg on veggie and after the rebuild I am now getting 32 mpg on veggie so probably closer to 35.5 on diesel.
In conclusion it was money well spent.
that's great FE !....i also use DFIS for my injector rebuilds and for IP gaskets and seals ... good guys to work with