1993 toyota sr5 ALH tdi swap (3 week project)

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
you can pm ryan or check out the power enhancement section....a few people are installing the GTB turbos and I'm in the mock up stage of installing a GTB1756VK on my truck
Do you have any pictures of your current progress? I am considering the 1756. Ryan said it would be better for my application then the 2260.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'll try and post up some pics this evening....I'm using a spare block and head with the AFN mani, ryans adapter plate and the VK turbo all mounted up....still have to build a support brace figure out the drainback, oil feed etc...just been too busy...but I gotta get back on it

Last edited:

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anybody know of a different 5th gear i can put in the transmission to get more speed. I currently have the 0.85:1. I would love to keep my 4.10 diff gears. If there is nothing out there to change my 5th gear is there anybody who would like to swap diffs?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
did you follow the link to the wikipedia w56 site?....it has all the different ratios for the w series trans
Yeah i looked at it. But i didn't see many options that would make much difference. I was considering just swapping the rear ring and pinion from a 4.10 to a 3.54. I wish i could just find a chunk with that gear already on it for a reasonable price. At 2300 rpm i would go from 60 mph to 70 mph.
jimbote What ratios and tire size are you running in your tacoma?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
3.59 and 265 which is close to 32" ...it's geared too tall...that's why I'm going with 4.10's ....I plan on upgrading my trans to an R150....when I do I'll upgrade the fifth to a turbo supra fifth .75 instead of the stock .85.... there is a non turbo supra fifth that was a .75 that would work in your tranny.....

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
there is a non turbo supra fifth that was a .75 that would work in your tranny.....
That gear would be perfect. I didn't see it on the wikipedia website. I did see the .783 in the W58 but i wasn't sure if it would fit. I really want to keep my crawling gear. This may be a stupid question but is there a place to buy just the gear or is it going to be like a junkyard item.
....I plan on upgrading my trans to an R150....when I do I'll upgrade the fifth to a turbo supra fifth
When you do that swap are you going to have to make a new adapter plate. I have the R150 right now that came out of my truck that i was trying to sell so i can buy the 1756 turbo to get my truck back on the road.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
if you dont need 4wd there is a 3.07 ratio. Unfortunatly its from a 2wd so there is no matching front gear set unles you convert the truck to a solid axle. Taller tires are an option but there is also a huge weight/rolling mass penalty. I have a project 2wd pickup with a 1.6TD. Threads like this want to make me convert it to a TDI, the 2wd trucks are not as nice as the 4wd's, but it weighs a lot less and with the stock 15 pound 25" tires and some 3.07's the truck would be fast and get incredible MPG's

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
if you dont need 4wd there is a 3.07 ratio. Unfortunatly its from a 2wd so there is no matching front gear set unles you convert the truck to a solid axle. Taller tires are an option but there is also a huge weight/rolling mass penalty. I have a project 2wd pickup with a 1.6TD. Threads like this want to make me convert it to a TDI, the 2wd trucks are not as nice as the 4wd's, but it weighs a lot less and with the stock 15 pound 25" tires and some 3.07's the truck would be fast and get incredible MPG's
Yeah that would definently be a good road gear, but I would really rather keep my 4x4. The ultmate is to swap the fifth gear in the trans. It seems like I should be able to buy the fifth gear out of a W58 transmission somewhere on the internet. I haven't had any luck finding one. And I will probably get some taller tires eventually but i bought the truck with brand new tires on it.

logs

TDI
94 Wrangler w/ 1.9 TDI ALH
Hey Dusty, have any decent pics or tips on the wiring. I'm going same route keeping the ECM but pretty overwhelmed with the wiring. Just need to know what you hooked up to your existing wiring to get it to run. Mine's going into a jeep but hookups should be similar. Thanks

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
No, it would be a big mistake. You can buy a gearset as low as 3.54 for your Toy 8" V6 housing. 2wd housings are much weaker and unless from a pre runner are only a 7.5" ring gear. A tall skinny tire and a taller fifth gear could work too.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah well i called like 10 different transmission shops and only one said that i could probably change out the fifth gear, but that its not the only gear that i would have to change. He also said that Toyota designed the fifth gear the size it is to be able to handle power, and if i was to change it to a different gear i would probably start stripping the teeth off them. Also about $1,200. I would rather spend that money on a gtb1756vk. I really want to get the truck back on the road.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well till i can afford to buy the turbo upgrade i am considering just getting another vnt 15 to just bolt back up.

Does anybody have one they would like to get rid of? I am trying not to spend a lot of money.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I am just wondering about why you are at your top speed at 65 mph? I have run gear calcs for the stock 2003 VW Golf my folks have and my Toyota pickup as I want it configured when I do this engine swap. The golf has .76 5th gear, 3.39:1 final drive and 25" tall tires which comes out to 2251rpm at 65 mph. My Toyota pickup has .85 5th gear, 4.1:1 final drive and will have 33" tires which gives me 2306 rpm at 65 or 55rpms more then the stock golf at the same speed. If you run 32" tires on the same truck it's 2379rpm at 65 or 128 more rpms then the stock golf. And with 31" tires it's 2455 at 65 or 204 more rpms then the stock golf. None of which are so much higher then the golf that I would be even slightly worried about it. I have driven my folks golf across Nevada and Utah at close to 100 mph and 3400+/- rpms and still knocked down about 38 mpg. Unless you have really small tires on you truck I would not worry about changing the gear ratios. Besides that you don't really need to be driving a truck at 80 mph, the areo drag becomes so great your MPG will really suffer.
Anyway, that's my $.02.
Jaysin

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Will a 2wd rear diff fit in my 4x4 rear diff? I am trying to figure out an easy way to change rear ring and pinion gear.
some of the 2wd diffs are an 8" and are a direct swap into the 4x4 rear, the 3.07 is an 8". There is also 3.90, 3.56 and 3.42 ratios but I dont remember which ones of those were 8". The 7.5" wont physically fit and the spline count is different.
I think the 3.42 is a 7.5", its my understanding that the gears can be removed from the 2wd diff and be installed into your 7.5" IFS front diff. You would then have to convert your rear axle to a 7.5" using a 2wd axle, but then you would have different wheel bolt patterns. There is no easy solution

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I am just wondering about why you are at your top speed at 65 mph? I have run gear calcs for the stock 2003 VW Golf my folks have and my Toyota pickup as I want it configured when I do this engine swap. The golf has .76 5th gear, 3.39:1 final drive and 25" tall tires which comes out to 2251rpm at 65 mph. My Toyota pickup has .85 5th gear, 4.1:1 final drive and will have 33" tires which gives me 2306 rpm at 65 or 55rpms more then the stock golf at the same speed. If you run 32" tires on the same truck it's 2379rpm at 65 or 128 more rpms then the stock golf. And with 31" tires it's 2455 at 65 or 204 more rpms then the stock golf. None of which are so much higher then the golf that I would be even slightly worried about it. I have driven my folks golf across Nevada and Utah at close to 100 mph and 3400+/- rpms and still knocked down about 38 mpg. Unless you have really small tires on you truck I would not worry about changing the gear ratios. Besides that you don't really need to be driving a truck at 80 mph, the areo drag becomes so great your MPG will really suffer.
Anyway, that's my $.02.
Jaysin
I agree with everything you said. My truck did 63 mph at 2300 rpms. I went out on the interstate and tried to see my top speed. When I got to 63 I pushed it to the floor and the rpms increased slowly. The rpms increased to about 2700 at 71mph. That is all it would do. At first I was thinking that the toyota tach was not revving at the same speed as the vw engine and maybe the vw was topping out in rpms. But after calculating it seems 71mph should be around 2700 rpm.
So now I am thinking the ecm stopped me maybe. Like i said earlier in this forum my turbo was peaking over 20 psi with the vnt15. So there is no telling what psi I was pushing when I held it to the floor. The high psi is also the big reason why I slung the turbo apart. I also started losing boost when I was trying to get to top speed as the turbo was beginning to fail.
So I don't know the real reason why that was my top speed. When the turbo failed that may have been as fast as the naturally aspirated engine could do.
Sorry if the post is hard to follow. Typed on my phone while eating at chick fil a. Listening to my wife talk to her friend. Extremely hard to focus.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
it's not your gear...the ecm's usually cut fuel around 4200 rpm...so you should at least pull to that....something going on with your fueling and or boost...maybe with that much boost your putting it into limp mode....

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
It either put it in limp mode or it was the turbo not helping. Its hard to say since the turbo came apart. I am getting one shipped to me tomorrow from a friend, so i should have it by the end of the week. I will adjust the wastegate so i don't over boost. Then i will try it again and see what happens.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I got the new USED vnt15 turbo put on today. And let me just say that the oem garrett turbo performs totally different then the aftermarket Chinese made turbo. It is a lot quieter, runs much smoother, and more powerful. It seems the more aftermarket Chinese made parts (that I installed on my truck because it seemed like a great deal) the better my engine runs.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
This weekend thanks to an acquaintance i realized that i had my N75 valve vacuum lines connected wrong. This is the reason for the over boosting. I now have the valve connected right and now my turbo peaks at 18 psi. My top speed is also higher. I will do 80 mph easily. So no need for swapping any gear ratios. And for "jimbote" I think you would like the 4.10 gears. Great low end torque and can still travel interstate speeds. I am very impressed with the stage three rocketchip and vnt15. My clutch is finally broke in. I took the truck out to play with it today on a dirt road, and it will easily spin the tires threw first, second, and third gear. I know it is on dirt but it will definitely pin you back in the seat with the upgrades.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
glad you figured out your overboost issue...the "new" turbo would not have lasted very long either with the boost you were running....I ended up getting a 4.30 e locker rear and a matching front axle but I haven't put them in yet still thinking of other options, namely going with a turbo 22rte trans which has a lower first and second gear

Last edited: