1993 toyota sr5 ALH tdi swap (3 week project)

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Very impressive. How's the vibration? You had to transplant the whole cluster and "gas" pedal, right? Did you need to swap the ignition switch?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I have stuck the vw cluster up in the dash of the Toyota. We were starting the truck with two key switches but now I only start with the Toyota key. We just connected the main power wire on the vw switch to the main wire on the Toyota switch. I am using the vw gas pedal and i love it. It works great. As far as the vibration, its smooth as a sewing machine unless its in a bog then it shakes a bit, but that's normal. So far i love the 2000 ford Taurus motor mounts.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i got exhaust done today. 2.5 in down pipe going into a 2.5 in piece of flex. Then it immediately expands to 3 in from the transmission out the rear of the truck.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Also got a little more done on the wiring. I have narrowed it down to just a few pugs in my floor board, but there is no room in the dash of a toyota tacoma.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I really need to find a tach output. I also would like to find a way to mount my stock electronic speedometer to the cable speedometer output of the tranny. If anybody has any ideas i am open to suggestions.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I really need to find a tach output. I also would like to find a way to mount my stock electronic speedometer to the cable speedometer output of the tranny. If anybody has any ideas i am open to suggestions.
you can use this.... http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/parts-upgrade/vehicle-speed-sensor-mci ...or you can source the correct electronic speed sensor for your transfer case....I believe 93' and 94' had the electronic.... looks like you may have used an earlier toyota trans/transfer case with the cable output

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
my tacoma tach was already a four cylinder (dedicated) so it was compatible with the two pulses per rev that the vw ecm puts out....your tach should have a potentiometer on the back of the tach so you can adjust down for the four cylinder

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I have found pin 27 green/brown wire and at idle I have 6 volts coming out of ecm. I thought i was supposed to connect it to the black wire in the blue connector on back of gauge cluster. But I didn't get a reading on tach. Can anybody confirm this?

hroush

TDI
2000 jetta
I've seen several of these trucks (and I own one) in my area that this swap needs to be done for. I just wish I had the space, time, and know-how. Looking good.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Ok I have found pin 27 green/brown wire and at idle I have 6 volts coming out of ecm. I thought i was supposed to connect it to the black wire in the blue connector on back of gauge cluster. But I didn't get a reading on tach. Can anybody confirm this?
make sure all the factory grounds (usually brown) for the toyota harness are connected....especially where you unplugged the toyota engine harness from the main harness under the dash....

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
make sure all the factory grounds (usually brown) for the toyota harness are connected....especially where you unplugged the toyota engine harness from the main harness under the dash....
Alright did that and the gauge cluster is getting good grounds. Still no reading when hooked up. I can use a voltmeter and i am getting 6.98 volts on the black wire of the blue connector.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
good deal!!...I knew that someone had used their factory 89 to 94 toyota tach with the vw ecm ...just could not rememeber who....the taco 4 cylinder tach gets it's signal from straight from the ecm so I think that made my hookup easier

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, well no need for a tach for awhile now. I forgot to mention that I bought a vnt 15 turbo brand new from emiata. It didn't even make it 500 miles. It slung apart a few hours ago. I thought the price was a little to good to be true.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Who sells the cheapest Hybrid 17/22 turbo? Also does anybody know if there is a different 5th gear option that i could put in the 22r 5speed transmission to get a little more top speed. My tops out around 65 mph. I would love to be able to drive on the interstate if needed and get a little better fuel mileage on long distance trips.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Is there a higher rear end gear available? Sounds like it's way undergeared.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
what gear ratio are you running now?....what's your tire size?.... your better off going up a tire size or finding a taller final drive ratio than you have now or do both.... here's some good info on the w series and ratios.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission
Well I looked on the door and got the drive train code. It is B05B. Using http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html it seemed like i had 3.15 gear ratio. But i didn't believe it so i jacked up one side of the rear. 2 rotations of the drive shaft turns one tire 15/16 of a turn. If you divide it by 2 it comes to 15/32 of a turn to 2. With some estimating i figured it is roughly 4.10 gear ratio.
I am not sure what this means. I bought the truck used. Does it mean that somebody swapped the cab or the drive train or am i miss reading the drive train code.
I have 31 x 10.50 tires right now so i don't know what is my best option for getting more road speed. According to the calculaters on line if i move to a 33in tire it would only increase my top speed from 65 to 71.