1993 toyota sr5 ALH tdi swap (3 week project)

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well 3 weeks ago i started my tdi swap. I had bought a 1993 sr5 extended cab with 3.0L v6 and a 5 speed tranny. I started with two partial tdi engines. One had a hole in the block and the other had bad lifters. So out of the two i made one. Ordered all my parts from www.emiata.com. I also ordered adapter kit from ACME adapters. I had to buy a 22r 5 speed because mine wouldn't bolt up. Found one on Craigslist with transfer case for $500. FOR ALL PEOPLE WHO DO THIS SWAP REPLACE THE $6.00 FRONT SEAL IN TRANSMISSION before install. I learned it the hard way late Saturday night when i was ready to drive the truck. I have tons of pictures that i will be putting on today or tomorrow.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
congrats on starting a yota swap....lots of very good info here to help you along....however you need to ditch the emiata parts especially timing and internal components or your engine will self destruct (seriously) .... check it out... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314980&highlight=emiata .... just one among dozens and dozens.... i've also seen first hand the damage caused by these imitation parts and I still have the engine on the shop floor to prove it.... in just 13K miles one of his timing belts failed taking out the head (not my install), that aside here's an excellent resource for tracking down different swaps all with pertinent info to your own...read read read.... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679

Last edited:

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the heads up. The only engine part that came from them is the head gasket. I ordered my sensors from them. MAF for instance $45 i just couldn't pass it up. I have most of the forums on this website concerning the swap which is how i was able to complete my swap in the time period that i did. Lots of good information. I actually woke up an hour earlier today so i could drive the truck around town before i had to go to class. I have also already upgraded to stage 3 rocketchip and DLC 1019 injector nozzles from kerma tdi. I havent been able to try out the power yet because the clutch i installed has a 700 mile city break in.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I started by pulling the 3.0L engine out of the toy. Buy the way i have a video of the 3.0L engine running if anybody would like to buy the engine, transmission, and transfer case package.

lots of engine

I wasn't sure if it would come out with transmission and transfer case but it did.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the engine is out so time to start assembling the tdi. Made a camshaft holding tool out of a old door hinge.

Drill bit for injection pump.

New stock turbo which will later be upgraded.

[/IMG]

thesimpledog

TDI
just an AHU motor
Nice I am interested in your progress. Found this site thru a really good buddy of mine, cruisertime, who is doing a swap into an FJ40. Hopefully I get mine done before his deployment is over. Planning to run your setup w/56 to a doubled marlin case. My first and biggest headache is finding an ecm that will work with the AHU.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The mounts i used were off of a 2000 ford taurus. I used the original toyota starter. It was a very close fit which is why I had to wrap the exhaust.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The transmission mount came off of my old R150 but didn't bolt up so i had to extend a side. Then after i made it bolt up it didn't sit right on the cross member so i had to extend it a little more.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Where did you buy the turbo from?

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I went ahead and bought the turbo from Hansautoparts.com. I know it may not be the best quality but it looked identical to the stock OEM turbo. If it doesn't last i didn't loose much because it was so cheap and i will get to upgrade.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I am hooking up boost gauge today. I am very curious the numbers because with stage 3 rocketchip tune and new 1019 injector nozzles the truck pulls a lot harder then my old VW jetta 1.8t when it had a turbo upgrade.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I was wondering what kind of mpg other people are getting with there tdi swaps. I just calculated mine and at about 53 mph i averaged 32 mpg.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
At 20 psi you're pressing your luck with the stock turbo.

I get 35 mpg or so out of my Suzuki Sidekick M-TDI swap...trans is undergeared tho.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is under geared also. I am thinking about moving to 32 in tall tires. I currently have 29 in. According to the online calculators those 3 in. will give me about 7 to 10 more mph at the same rpm. I agree about the turbo being pushed a little to hard, but im not sure how to lower very easy. Is this how much the stage 3 rocket chip is supposed to push? I may need to get it re-tuned.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I just lined up the transmission to the crossmember. With the transmission mount aligned but not installed the vacuum pump was about 1 1/2 - 2 in off the firewall. I tried to take a picture but it was kind of dark.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the A/C compressor i used. Got it off Ebay for $49 brand new. The stock toyota a/c lines bolted right up to compressor after i heated and bent the lines a little.

I didn't have room to use the stock vw compressor in its original spot so i had to build a bracket for the new one. I had to build a pulley bracket to go in the place where the vw compressor went, so i could keep the serpentine belt routed correctly.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
What happens when you don't replace front tranny seal when you had a chance.

Since i slung oil all over my clutch i decided to go ahead and upgrade clutch to handle the power increase.

dustystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i took the truck on a 150 mile trip yesterday. It was the longest trip yet but a few things happened that i didn't plan for. I built all my piping from turbo to intercooler and to intake out of PVC pipe. The pipe did fine from the intercooler back to intake, but from turbo to intercooler failed. Driving down the road at 14 psi cruising the pipe built up heat deformed and it kept blowing off. So today i took the pvc pipe i made to the exhaust shop down the road.