1993 MK3 clock to tach?

detroitdiesel

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, and a 1980 Olds 98 5.7L IDI diesel
Hello, i was wondering what would be required to remove the clock in the gauge cluster and replace it a tachometer? Would i have to get an entire guage cluster from another car with a tach, or would i just have to get a tach from a car from a wrecker? Also, to cars that didn't have tachometers come with provisions for one?

BTW, this is for a 1993 golf diesel 5 speed four door.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
mk3 tach

You will need an inst cluster from a diesel since the tach runs from the alternator.Not sure if the wiring is there for it,but not hooked up. Possible alternator required with tach terminal also.At one time there was a stand alone tach available.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The tach signal is there (you can view it by putting the cluster into diagnostic mode - it displays in the odometer). You just need to swap the cluster out for one from a latter AAZ.

-J

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You just need to swap the cluster out for one from a latter AAZ.
And that will be the trick... even in Alberta MK3 diesel clusters are getting pretty hard to find...and many of them, like many gasser MK3 clusters, are toast. :(

If you post a wanted ad on www.airriders.ca (Edmonton) or www.clubvdub.ca (Calgary) you might get lucky.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
While holding the Trip button, turn the key on, off, then start, then release the Trip. You should see a 1 in the trip area. Tap the button again to scroll to option 2, then again to 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. It's been a few years, but I believe it's option 6 for RPM. Then it displays RPM digitally in your Trip area. Recycling the ignition returns normal function, so don't stall!

93 1.9d

TDI
1993 Golf 1.9D 427000kms and counting!
aw man thats so cool! thanks that'll hold me over until i can swap my analog clock cluster out for a diesel tach one:)

93 1.9d

TDI
So I tried that in the diagnostic mode and It just displayed 0. I found an old mk3 gauge cluster with the diesel tach and the tach reads zero. Any info on the alternator information about tach equipped cars?

93 1.9d

TDI
Damn. Your right did a search on the part number (028 903 025 h) no diesels listed. Must e a gas alt

Last edited:

93 1.9d

TDI
Could I get an alternator that is an ac model and fit on my car even though it doesn't have ac? Any wiring problems? Thanks

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Wait, the tach is for gas or the alt?
Tach shouldn't redline any higher than ~4500 RPM (Gassers are around 6200 IIRC)

The alt will need a W terminal - specific to the diesel model.

93 1.9d

TDI
Tach is definetly a diesel. But the part number on my alt came back for a gasser alt. BUT as I got driving down the road after about 5 min the tach jumped to life and seemed to read accurately. So looks like I'm good:)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wait, the tach is for gas or the alt?
Tach shouldn't redline any higher than ~4500 RPM (Gassers are around 6200 IIRC)

The alt will need a W terminal - specific to the diesel model.
Some 'gasser' alternators also have the W term although it's not used on the gasser models. Basically as long as the alt has a W terminal it can be used on the diesel cars.