1992 isuzu to diesel TDI swap

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Can you remove the starter, install a bolt in the down pipe then reinstall the starter?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
That is what I did. On my previous setup, I made a heat shield that surrounded the starter. Now I need a shield between the turbo and the back of the starter to prevent starter over heating.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
What manfold are you using? My bhw doesn't put the down pipe anywhere that close to the starter.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Argh. My phone hates me. If you google search alh with bhw manifold the tdi forum is the first 4 or 5 hits

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks right to me. You'll have to decide what you want to do about your turbo, oil feed/drain line as well as tune.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Sounds complicated. I would need to purchase a turbo or could I fab the tubo to fit? Tune?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If your turbo is built into the manifold then new turbo, if it is removable you could buy an adapter to make them fit(or build one) you would only need a tune if you had to put on a new turbo.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
What motor are you using again? I was thinking it was an ALH?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
ALH 1.9 TDI from a 2002 new beetle. It is built in. I wish it was removable. Could it be cut away from from the manifold and install an adapter to mount the BHW?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
After installing the new adapter plate and flywheel, I can say there are no grinding of the gears or vibration.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Any chance you could fit some lava tape over that down pipe and squeeze in a heat deflector between the starter and down pipe?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Maybe if I grind down the bolt I can slide a stainless steel plate between the two.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I ordered lava tape. Going to give that a try. On another subject, do you know where I can order a MAP connector harness. I found one on ebay claiming to fit 2002 new beetle 1.9 ALH but does not fit I'm getting "16491 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96) P0107 - 35-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent" Fault message. I can clean the MAP and connector and turbo will return to working. The connector clip is broke and it dosen't seal good. Also, What should my boost level be? According to gauge, it maxes out about 20. Edit:
Oilhammer has a good write up
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/stock-boost-on-alh-1-9l.355706/

Last edited:

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I removed my turbo to replace exhaust and intake manifold gaskets. It looks to me the turbo is leaking oil. The vanes do not move in and out. Barely side to side.
turbo

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Describe the amount of oil. Oil in the charge pipe system is 100% common with thrust bearing turbos. There will be up and down play in thrust bearing turbos. There should be no in or out play. You can measure run out but usually if the play is enough so blades don't hit the housing you are good.

If I dumped my passat intercooler id find maybe a cup of oil in the bottom of it. My boat, excursion and passat are all factory turbos and all have oily intake systems.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Describe the amount of oil. Oil in the charge pipe system is 100% common with thrust bearing turbos. There will be up and down play in thrust bearing turbos. There should be no in or out play. You can measure run out but usually if the play is enough so blades don't hit the housing you are good.

If I dumped my passat intercooler id find maybe a cup of oil in the bottom of it. My boat, excursion and passat are all factory turbos and all have oily intake systems.
From videos I have watched on youtube, I should be good. Vanes spins free but no in or out play. I did not check my intercooler, but will do. ......Before I put it back together, looking an excuse to buy the BHW manifold and turbo. Just say I buy a new manifold and turbo, I already have a stage 1 tune, do I really need to have it tuned again?

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
There is very little oil in intercooler..... I had an issue with no boost for awhile. I could shut the engine off and on and boost would return. Now I have no boost. I have the required amount of vacuum from the vac pump. All hoses are silicon and new. I replaced the N75 about a month ago. Sometime I can remove and reconnect the map connector and boost will return. I was testing with the VagCom output test and noticed the N75 was stuck at 96%. I had the N75 actuator line connected to vacuum pump and no vacuum. I cleared the code restarted and the output test start cycling. The vacuum gauge showed vacuum and would cycle. What could be causing this? With the truck running, the voltage meter showed 13 volts output at the N75 connector

Here are the codes I see:
6491 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96)
P0107 - 35-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent
16955 - Brake Switch (F)
P0571 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
I have a issue with the Brake & Clutch Pedal Logic Switcher and Synchronizer I bought from fastforward. Getting really hot and blowing fuses. It appears fastforward is out of business. Is there a work around for this?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Fast-forward is out of business? This is the first I've heard of that.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I actually have a Passat BHW manifold for sale right now if you choose to go that route, I originally bought it for the exact issue you are having with the exhaust and turbo on an ALH, but it didn't work out for me (with RHD it put the turbo in the way of the steering shaft). This allows you to fit a GT1749va/b or BV43 for a little more boost potential. I put on a used turbo with a new CHRA, about a quarter the price of a whole new turbo.

superhl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle
Sorry. The link I had saved was a dead link. I later did a search found a live link. I ordered a new logic brake device from them. Not sure that this is the issue. For the last two weeks every so often when I would backup the engine would shutoff. Monday it shut while driving down the road. I have pole made to engage my brake for testing the brake light. For a month my brake light keeps blowing fuses. So I place the pole in place, pumped the clutch multiple times and fuse blew. While feeling around testing wires, I noticed the brake logic device was very hot. Not sure where to go from here. I don't understand why backing up would cause the engine to shut down. My backup light cable is not attached to the tranny.

Last edited: