1992 4runner ALH question

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
I have a 1992 4x4 4runner (that i've had since 98) and want to put an ALH stage with a stage 4 tune in it. I know at one time you had to swap to the 4 cylinders w56 transmission but it looks like there are a couple companies that are making adapters for the 3vze v6 5 speed transmission. Is there a general consensus about which one is best? This one looks pretty good https://www.doomsdaydiesel.net/product-page/vw-1-9-tdi-to-3vze-r150-adapter-kit but Im wondering if the starter will get in the way. Im going to run a vnt 17 turbo, so the clearance will be a little closer than the stock one. Im pretty sure Im going to block off the vacuum pump and run an electric one from Jegs or a cummins, thats gotta be common by now right?. Leave the driveline in the stock location. I have a 9 1/4 inch Centerforce clutch rated at 309 ft lbs. Build some motor mounts... run some 33s to get the RPMs down... Anything Im not thinking about?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Im picking up an 87 4 runner this Saturday if it checks out well. The doomsday seems like a good price. Have you messaged them to see if they use dowel pins for bell housing alignment? Acme used to have run out issues that ate input shaft bearings and I think adding dowels helped. @evguy1 on here makes the nicest swap kits ive seen, I've not heard a single complaint from anyone on fitment or alignment issues. He is on the upper end price wise ive seen for Toyotas but you usually get what you pay for. If I have the budget to swing his adapter I will go with him, he's a diesel nut and very active on here.

There are 4 different gear options for that rig 4.10 and i think 4.56 for 5 speed and 4.30 and 4.88 for automatic. Id choose my tire size based on what gears you have. 31s to 33s seem good based on that range.

Id think 300 plus ft lbs torque rating should work fine with a stock alh. My BHW 5 speed converted passat puts out 300 ft lbs torque. I use a stock gasser clutch kit from a 1.8t reworked by a company called south bend. They claim it's good to 300ish ft lbs torque. I have zero slippage after over a year of daily driving on a 220 mm clutch ,about 8.5 inches or so if my metric to sae is correct. I'm at 170ish hp in a 3000 or so lbs sedan.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I have a 1992 4x4 4runner (that i've had since 98) and want to put an ALH stage with a stage 4 tune in it. I know at one time you had to swap to the 4 cylinders w56 transmission but it looks like there are a couple companies that are making adapters for the 3vze v6 5 speed transmission. Is there a general consensus about which one is best? This one looks pretty good https://www.doomsdaydiesel.net/product-page/vw-1-9-tdi-to-3vze-r150-adapter-kit but Im wondering if the starter will get in the way. Im going to run a vnt 17 turbo, so the clearance will be a little closer than the stock one. Im pretty sure Im going to block off the vacuum pump and run an electric one from Jegs or a cummins, thats gotta be common by now right?. Leave the driveline in the stock location. I have a 9 1/4 inch Centerforce clutch rated at 309 ft lbs. Build some motor mounts... run some 33s to get the RPMs down... Anything Im not thinking about?
Running the w56 with 2wd auto crossmember will allow the vac pump to clear. You can use a 3rz 2kw cold climate starter by adding an extra mounting tab to the 22r bell.
If you go with the TDconversions V6 kit (best choice imo) it already places the engine far enough forward for vacuum pump clearance and it comes with a starter. And don't delete the vacuum pump, it's an unnecessary move that ultimately adds complication to your swap.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Northwest Fab is the company that bought out Randy's company, also they were the original fabricator to begin with. They also have a heavy flywheel for that kit. They have a pretty inclusive line of parts.
From what I have gathered, the W56 is kinda questionable at that power range? And if you toast it, then you need a different engine adaptor to upgrade to an R series trans and bell.
Matt Whitbread was recently gathering info to start producing Toyota adapters, not sure where he is on that at the moment.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive heard of guys running the w56 behind v8 conversions with doublers, 35s, etc and rock crawling. Id consider a 4l60e but with the pass drop transfer case I wonder if I would have interference with the front driveshaft

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
i'm running a w59 behind my bhw/alh hybrid.
The W59 is slightly improved version of the W56 and it's held up for over 170k miles behind the tdi and over 350k total miles with only a fluid change.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up the 87 4 runner today. I guess its worth a try! Started life as an auto, has a blown 22re amd2 w56 sitting in it now.

I certainly don't drive hard

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I picked up the 87 4 runner today. I guess its worth a try! Started life as an auto, has a blown 22re amd2 w56 sitting in it now.

I certainly don't drive hard
https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=94572.0 Here is a link you may have already seen, if not it might interest you. 6th post down he estimates theW56 and W59 to be similar in strength
I have been on the fence about going to an R series, other than reverse, I think I would prefer the ratios in the W56, which I have in my 1985. Turbo and injector wise I am setup up as Jimbote is, and he set the bar for W series durability. Like you my style of driving is not going to be real hard. The W56 would make my swap less expensive and simpler, the scales are tipping. hoping to get at it this following summer. I will be following yours.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have reas that thread. Keep hearing about keep guys who seem to bash the ax5 but they are probably the same ones on 33s, dropping the clutch to spin the tires with a 4 banger at the mall.

How much power/tq are you and @jimbote putting down.

I have some time before I pull the tigger on the adapter so if i find a sub 500 dollar r150f I will use that instead. For now im rebuilding the front end. Upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings doing the ball joint lift, drop the diff and bar, new calipers/rotors/pads. Pretty much just get the old truck back to daily driving condition. A slight 2 or so inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift. Im not sure if i have 4.56 or 4.88 gears, the truck started life as an automatic. Either work ok for me with true 33s. I'd rather the 4.56 as 70 mph slightly less than 3000 rpms. Id rather not run 35s

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am estimating mine to be closing in on 170/300, just a max guess. BV43 and 502’s(.216)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Martin Crawler has some upgraded bearings for the W series also

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
So stupid question for you yota vw Frankenstein guys. With yotas and nearly all my vehicles I have always run ATF in the power steering. With the passat vw I have to run the special VW European specific expensive crap. What do you guys run for power steering fluid?

For coolant im not sure if I should stick to g40 zex or if I can go to the dexcool. I know many purists like the oem audi/vw stuff but its usually not available at the local auto parts supplier, the vw dealer is too far away for me to want to deal with. This means shipping fees and the issue if waiting for delivery if I need fluids asap

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I run G13 coolant and ATF in both our Jettas

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I cant remember if the g40 is g12 or g13 compatible.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
How did you guys in the yotas run your throttle pedal? My passat pedal is very close to the parking brake. Being that i missing the cable that goes into the parking brake i was considering using the passat parking brake and moving it to the center console. Am missing most of my 4 runner console anyway and what I do have lookd like crap.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
How did you guys in the yotas run your throttle pedal? My passat pedal is very close to the parking brake. Being that i missing the cable that goes into the parking brake i was considering using the passat parking brake and moving it to the center console. Am missing most of my 4 runner console anyway and what I do have lookd like crap.
It's close but as long as it doesn't touch it'll be fine....my jetta pedal runs just a few millimeters from the parking brake.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what I was thinking. If I ever need to remove the parking brake handle housing for cable replacment the pedal must come off first most likely.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to ditch plans of using the w56. While under the rig I found the mounting hole for the slave cylinder broken on the bell housing. EBay isn't friendly with bellhousing prices and I couldnt find a cheap one (75 dollar self imposed limit) locally. No need in tossing 200 bucks into a bellhousing when the whole trans sells for 250 at lkq. I'm already missing the transfer case shifter.

I listed up a wtb r150f pre 95. Got 2 hits within a week. I'll be picking one up with the case,shifters,bell today.

Will the 2nd gen 4runner/equivalent era pickup 2wd auto cross member work in my 1st gen to push the assembly forward to clear the tandem pump and coolant T?

Also I'm going to try to use the passat dash cluster in the 4runner dash. The tach signal is easy to fix, the fuel gauge not so much. The yota fuel tank is sitting passanger side, where id like to run my exhaust. The passat and 4 runner both have passenger fill tanks. I'm thinking why not mount the passat tank where the spare tire would mount? Use the vw return line, fuel pump/etc. Im going to be running 285 70 17s so a spare tire under the rig isnt going to fit, needs a swing out carrier. Any thoughts in this? Sorry to threadjack but I didn't want to start another yota swap thread

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make sure you have the correct tail shaft spline. W56's are 21 spline and R series is 23. I don't know if tail shafts are interchangeable? There is an adapter for R series to gear drives, over $300

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine came with the transfer case(pass. Drop) so even though the w56 has a better case I don't think it's worth swapping, I'll never want to stack cases, upgrade to lower gears or want lockers/SAS/axle upgrades. The trials i ride rarely need lockers, just good angles and ground clearance. Shell be 90% on road.

From what i read its a direct swap going w56 to r150f but moves forward just a bit which is what I want anyway.

Sadly I missed a turbo 22re tranny with case on the local offer up about a year ago for 150 needing a rebuild. That one would have been nice to score, just the bell is worth more than that.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A couple months back I ran across a Toyota dump truck on Facebook with a turbo’d 4 cylinder and R151 for $1500 obo, gone by the time I contacted him. Only posted for 16 hours. I will probably still go with my W56, it appears tight. I still have awhile to decide

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Have the rest of you tossed the old toyota ecu? Have a local guy wanting to buy mine. As far as I know none of the car body systems run through the engine ecu or need them to operate. Before I sold it I figured it would be good to ask.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Also found another local r150f for sale for 400, complete with case/shifters. If you dont mind a drive to i think Seneca south Carolina.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
So another stupid question....the passat heater core is always passive and the Toyota cuts off water flow when the heat is off. Is that an issue for the tdi motors, the bhw in particular? Or do I need to make a small maybe 1/4 or 3/8 or so bypass hose to keep the water circulating at all times?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably would depend on where you got your heater core source, coolant has to flow out of the head. I see Jimbote is on the TDI swapped trucks blog quite a bit now. Probably your best source of info as there are a lot of Toyotas on there

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll look there, my heater core source is off the head, i think the bhw and alh have similar coolant routing.