1991 golf diesel exhaust question

thebarber

Veteran Member
TDI
06 5spd tdi wagon
I picked up a 5 speed golf diesel (non-turbo) last week.

It currently has a straight pipe on it and I THINK it might need a whole new exhaust.

I was going to get one custom made, but I have a few questions:

1. Is the stock piping on the n/a diesel 1.75"?
2. I think its rated at 54hp/71tq, is it worth going UP a size (to 2") for some more power? Or will it just lose torque?
3. I'm assuming it'll be quietest with a resonator and muffler, but what length of resonator would work best?
4. Will a diesel with a performance-type muffler sound good, or should I stick with an oem-style muffler?

I appreciate any insight that can be given...

rjsummer

TDI
Gray 2003 TDi GLS 5spd Sunroof
The stock exhaust has no resonator, just a down pipe from the exhaust manifold to the rear muffler. I don't haven one to measure but the clamp mating the pipe to the rear muffler is 45.5mm.
Question 2, dunno.
Question 3, they were pretty quiet for exhaust noise when stock with no res.
Question 4, if you want the quietest exhaust, Id stick with VW oem parts and design.

I can sell you a brand new EARNST rear muffler for $150 Can including the clamp. I think they are about 179 plus tax plus the clamp (about $220) for original VW. Check with Crosby for the prices. Nice thing about VW mufflers, guaranteed for as long as you own the car.... regardless of age or mileage.

thebarber

Veteran Member
TDI
06 5spd tdi wagon
i appreciate the insight

ill likely just pick up a muffler locally (or from exhaust direct in london)

ive heard some stories about crosby vw in kitchener...they will NEVER get any of my business

rjsummer

TDI
Gray 2003 TDi GLS 5spd Sunroof
Ya, there's not a perfect dealer for sure and I do most of my own work so its done right. However, things like alignment and AC leak testing etc, I need Crosby. I know the staff by name, I tell them exactly what I want done. They are told to do nothing more than I instruct. I check their work. If I have problems I call the ministry or call the manager. So far so good...
Oh, correction, your car has a straight pipe between the down pipe and muffler.