1991 B3 Passat Wagon AHU Syncro Swap

gruppe_a

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Golf
Not sure on oil capacities, but yes, the angle drive is fed from the trans. Some have separate supplies and you can spot those by the fill plug on top. I think filling the trans slowly and maybe at an angle will get enough oil back into the angle drive. I'd fill it best I could, take a short drive, check the level and add more if needed.

Obviously, the rear diff is similar; fill it up until oil starts coming out the horizontal plug.

Did you ask GTA about rebuilding the VC? I had them do 2, and I still haven't tried them out to see if they work...

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro, 2002 VW California, 1998 Jetta TDI (Sold 6/16), 1997 B4 Passat TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender 1Z m-TDI conversion (Sold 5/12), 1992 AHU powered B3 Syncro Wagon

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro, 2002 VW California, 1998 Jetta TDI (Sold 6/16), 1997 B4 Passat TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender 1Z m-TDI conversion (Sold 5/12), 1992 AHU powered B3 Syncro Wagon
These showed up today.

Powdercoated mounting plates.

Rear end installed.

Engine in!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Looking good so far! The shop looks just like Burpod's basement! Careful stepping around!
But obviously with the progress you made so far you haven't had much time to pick up!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
What mess? That's clustered organization. Don't attempt to 'clean' it up because then you won't be able to find anything.

Ask me how I know...

Love the thread and am anxiously following the build.

What struts are those?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yup. people ask me "how do you find anything", my response is "it where I last put it". Tried organizing everything and then I couldn't find a single thing.

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
So yeah, it's an organized mess. No time to clean yet and every tool is needed every hour at this stage. But things are moving forward:)
Completed all the brake lines. Don't want to do that job again. I'm going non-abs and swapped out the single feed rear brake regulator with a dual feed.

Brand new Driveshaft going in. After a difficult hour trying to get it in I ended up needing to remove the rear control arm and lower the front subframe slightly to get it to fit. Not fun, anyone else trying this remember that detail.

Finally in! Now I need to install the stock syncro heat shields. The front one has a space for an air funnel to cool the driveshaft.

Also got the KW V1's and I rebuilt and powdercoated a pair of Girling 60 brakes. I need to find a bigger master cylinder down the road.

Last edited:

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
Next up is installing a stock TDI inter-cooler setup altered to fit the K24 turbo, coolant lines, and wiring harness. I'm also installing power windows/locks at the same time so I have my hands full.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
So yeah, it's an organized mess. No time to clean yet and every tool is needed every hour at this stage. But things are moving forward:)

Sigh. Sarcasm is hard to convey in writing. I have two projects in my workshop right now and it looks the exact same way. :D

I like your attention to detail. Is your intention to use this year round?

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
inspiring work man!
I have one as well and was hoping you could pass on the info of where you were able to find the brand new block? and the drive shaft....????

Mine has been converted to a AAZ IDI engine already so not sure if I will keep the AAZ or go to a 1Z / AHU engine....

good stuff though!!

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
So a slight issue arose last night as I was installing the radiator and coolant hoses. It seems like the front of the engine is sitting lower than is ideal and is causing the AC compressor to press on the lower radiator hose. I know the B4 TDI uses a different front engine mount and clip but does anyone know if there is a mount I can use with a B3 16v front clip that will raise the engine up higher? Or could I add some sort of spacer?

Thanks!

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
Awesome build! I really love to see someone can making use of a B3 Passat.

Considering there isn't any real difference in mounting position between the 16v and the TDI you probably don't want to change the native angle of the engine very much because that has a ripple effect on the drivetrain, especially in a syncro.

All mounts between the models should be virtually identical in dimension so I don't think you'll make any progress swapping mounts. Couldn't you use a different hose and / or notch the cross member? The engine will only torque back so I think your unloaded clearance is all you really have to worry about here.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
My SYNCRO Wagon has an AAZ in it and I was inteding on putting A/C in it as well as it was simply left out of the biuld as a plan to do later. I always knew it was going to be a close fit - just wasnt sure how close. I looked again yesterday and it appears I may have the same issue...

you can always leave the A/C aside until you figure something out that works.

As mentioned the 'ripple effect' of changing the mounts with the SYNCRO make me hesitant to lift the mount. What rad are you using? You may be able to switch to the AAZ diesel Rad which I believe has the bottom return moved over very slightly. And also works with the A/C condensor.

interested to hear where you picked up some of your parts as well. As I am looking for a new driveshaft as you picked one up also.

cheers

Last edited:

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
Hows the progress going?

I called around for a center drive shaft you may have gotten the last one....

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
So I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently. My hope was to finish the car up last week before I had to move out of state for work. I had really wanted to bring her with me. Everything is done except for the wiring. I ran into some difficulty with integrating the B3 heater/AC harness with the Jetta AHU harness and decided to just find a complete B4 Passat harness instead. I'll be traveling home occasionally over the next few months and will use that time to finish her up.
Here's how she sits now.

I ended up having to custom make a radiator setup. I used a B3 VR6 condenser, B3 G60 Syncro radiator and a 1999 MKIII 2.0 fan assembly. The front clip had to be trimmed to fit the condenser but a built a mount for it.

Rear end with the red/black smoked Hella tail lights I found.

All syncro pieces installed. It was awesome to see all 4 wheels turn at the same time.

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
I've gotten alot of request for info about where I purchased many of my parts. I'll post it up shortly.

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
So I'm finally back home for a bit and trying to get the wiring done. Anyone have a wiring diagram for the HVAC/AC system in a 1997 B4 TDI Passat? I have all the B4 TDI wiring harnesses except for the harness that connects to the HVAC box and the heater controls. I'm wondering if there is a way to mate a B3 HVAC harness to a B4 harness....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Any luck finding the wiring diagrams?

Also why don't you sell that wagon to somebody in the south that can help it avoid rust :)

KAT

TDI
Audi A4 AJM
Hey, I googled this topic couple hours ago. At first i want to tell you how much i admire your work.. but i can't find proper words :) It is amazing what have you done with this car, i still can't believe it is true. I want more pics!!
I had 2 passats, my father had 4. By all these years i've collected some knowledge and many informations - including wiring diagrams. I have HVAC diagrams from 1997 Vento, they are 99% same as passat - i can email it if you want (please specify if you want climatronic or manual AC).
IMO the best and easiest solution is porting whole electric installation from B4, including dashboard and switches. Pros:
- Plug&play wiring for engine
- It will solve future problems with immobilizer and OBD wiring
- AC wiring is different in B3 and B4 and mating them (in case of automatic AC) will drive you crazy
- Power windows in B4 works better (separately)
- You can install cruise control cheap and easy
Cons:
- Headlights connectors are different
- ... (if I recall someting more, i'll let you know)
Cheers!

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the encouragement guys, if you're ever up in AK let me know! Life's been crazy the last 3 months for me but I'll be back in AK in April and hope to finish up the remaining wiring issues and get the car closer to moving.
If I could just have a week of uninterrupted work time.....

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Finishing up a 1Z swap into a 1993 Eurovan Weekender burned some time too. I used an M-TDI pump from the European LT van since the previous owner hadn’t started the swap with the correct wiring to make it a TDI. But damn that pump with the stock injectors moves the van more than adequately. And we recorded 38mpg on the highway after I installed the .681 5th gear.
im using a 2.8 lt pump on an ahu motor, is there anything special i need to know about timing it?

AKAvant

Veteran Member
TDI
im using a 2.8 lt pump on an ahu motor, is there anything special i need to know about timing it?
There is a proper way to time these pumps using a dial gauge that you screw into the end of the pump by the fuel line outlets and lets you read the timing, just like the old 1.6NA engines. But to be honest, I was able to time the engine by feel, I left the three mounting points slightly loose and adjusted it ran how I wanted it. I had a mechanic with the timing tool check it and he said it was good to go.

Last edited: