1986 1.6 diesel vacuum pump

Gold1.6

TDI
I bought a 1.6 diesel a while ago but haven't really inspected it all until last night. One thing I noticed is that it has a vane type vacuum pump. I know the original has two hoses that go into the pump. One from the block and one that routes to the booster. On mine the one from the block was routed on to exhaust. lol ! I don't think that is correct. I've been trying to research info on the vane type installation but no luck. (n)

Has anyone installed a vane type and know what to do with the block side of the hose? Does it need to be blocked off or routed somewhere?

-Rico

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I don't think it has an oil supply so it can go overboard. If it does it needs to go back to the pan or you'll be loosing oil.

Can't be blocked or the pump won't do its job.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The later 1.6L uses the same type vacuum pump as the early TDIs (1Z, etc.), that exhausts down its own shaft housing straight into the engine, and the front of the block just has a block off. '86 I would think should have already had the late type, but maybe not. '86 was a split year (early were solid lifter, late was hydraulic lifter).

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What's this second hose? He said it went to the pump so I ass-umed it was the discharge. I wonder if it's a crankcase vent that he thinks went to the pump?

Obviously been a while since I've looked at one of these. I have a diaphragm type sitting around though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The old diaphragm type has its exhaust go directly to the crankcase via a nipple on the block off plate on the front of the engine. Notice in my picture, the little silver plate right behind the yellow dipstick? That plate was used for various things.... carburetted gas engines had the mechanical fuel pump there, some diesels had a crankcase vent there, CIS gassers mounted the warm up regulator on a bracket there.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Yeah, the vane style pump vents right through the bottom of it into the block.
Great idea, now the hose isn't needed.
The port on the front of the block,
where your old hose went
sometimes gets piped into the PCV system.
Like on the AAZ engines. And the recall/upgrade hose on the old 1.5 engines.
Maybe using an gasser ABA crank vent puck on top of the valve cover
for the other end of the hose.