1985 Mk2 Jetta NA Diesel - will be mine 2005-12-17 :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
IIRC, my Bentley says to use a VW 3104 to adjust the shifter.

The reverse lockout works really really well, BTW. It's not HARD to get into reverse, you just have to push down like half an inch on the shifter.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Congratulations on a great find. I loved the VW Beetle (my first car was a '63); the first Rabbits and Jetta's were great, but the car that really announced VW's plans to stay prominently on the NA map was the very body style you bought. The fact that it's a diesel is icing on the cake!

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, I change the air filter, and find THIS crap:

Not to mention, this was some crap aftermarket one that was like half the height (read: capacity) of the VW one.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
man, what is that, cottage cheese? Mushrooms?

I certainly hope you replaced it

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Of course I did, with the part number that compu gave me. It's like twice as tall as that mess that I pulled out.

Audi5000TDI told me that it was a filter intended for a 1.7 gasser, FWIW (the one I pulled out).

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
Mebbe

bhtooefr said:
Of course I did, with the part number that compu gave me. It's like twice as tall as that mess that I pulled out.
Audi5000TDI told me that it was a filter intended for a 1.7 gasser, FWIW (the one I pulled out).
IIRC on my NA Rabbit there was a "heavy duty" filter that had the longer pleats, and therefore higher capacity. The "regular" filter had short pleats, but I don't remember them being that short. I also seem to remember the long (side to side) dimension of the gasser filter of 80's vintage was shorter as well. Anyway, making a short story long, it looks like someone bought the light duty filter.
BTW, *** took you so long to change the da** air filter? :eek: I'm assuming you've changed the oil and fllter? Coolant? :p ;)
Oh. One other thing: Take a look at all the hoses. One of the main coolant hoses is a big molded jobbie with about four ends of different diameters. Changing all the hoses was well over a hundred bucks when I sold my '85, nearly 12 years ago...:cool:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Coolant was changed when we did the water pump, and when I get around to installing the Zerostart, I'll change it again, this time to G11.

Oil and filter is this weekend's project.

Fuel filter is whenever I can get bio in the thing to give the filter it's last hurrah.

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...

I'm acting like I'm some sort of expert here...

When I've bought a used vehicle, I've always gone through sort of a purification ritual: Changed all the fluids and filters, pretty much no matter what the previous owner said. When I bought my '85, it had been sitting at a Ford dealer for an incredible period. I did all the fluids and filters, and even siphoned all the fuel out before my first fillup because of the likelihood of algae in the tank. After I ran that tank for a bit, I did the fuel filter.

It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but IIRC, that model has a water sensor somewhere in the system, along with a drain at the tank.

Man, I loved that car. I dig the Passat, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have the old buggy for a daily driver. I guess that's why I keep opining here--enjoying your car vicariously. Do you have a shop manual for it?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Let's see...

I've got the Haynes A1/A2 manual for gassers (the PO even said that it was pretty worthless, and to get a Bentley, and showed me a Bentley that he had lying around for a Audi 4000 that he used to have - I was already looking for a Bentley, though, FWIW :p), the 1985 Golf/GTI/Jetta Bentley, and I also refer to the ep0niks version of the 85-92 G/G/J Bentley.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Toofer, you don't want to make the pump work too hard. Get a cheap filter now, and install a prefilter. Run a tank of bio. Then install a nice OEM one.

-J

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Like I was saying in the chat...

There *IS* no cheapo one, that's cheaper than the OEM, unless I go to eBay.

I'll just delay running the bio until later, hoping that a cheaper filter is available then. I'll fill this OEM filter with Power Service, and install it.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, update...

Today, threw both v-belts. An old Gates that's lying around, and a new Dayco are going on until I can get some genuine Continentals.

Changed the fuel filter a while back, and runs a lot better, with better fuel economy. Of course, I think a 21 year old fuel line is starting to show it's age and let air in... :rolleyes:

Not much more to say...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ah, the dreaded A2 diesel accessory belts...and so it begins...

If you want, I can help explain some pointers I've learned over the years about those accessory belts. Otherwise you may be fighting them forever, until one day a bit of V-belt finds its way under the timing belt cover and throws THAT belt. It happens, more than you'd think. Got a NB in the shop right now that threw its accessory belt right into the cover, under the timing belt, lunched the valvetrain.:eek:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
:eek:

OK, could you please give me those pointers?

I've heard the "Continental belts *ONLY*" pointer.

Also, I think I need to tighten down the idler pulley bracket - it moves a shade too much for my tastes.

How hard would it be to convert my car to a non-AC setup? The AC doesn't work, and I know this would also mean I could get a cheaper coolant hose if something happened to the one hose that goes over the alternator.

Oh, and FWIW, I knew that it had the dreaded A2 accessory belt problem before I got it, I just wasn't aware that it was an epidemic on A2s at the time... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
Gotta love old cars. I had an old Datsun 510. Pulled the cam cover to change the gasket and found a piece of 1x1 wood tucked down next to the camchain, apparently to quiet it down... :rolleyes:
But, it ran fine until I pulled out in front of a guy...
THAT gave me a headache. :eek:

oilhammer

TDI
Well, let me tell you first that I've used all kinds of belts on these, and the best are the Gates Green Stripe V-belts. Yes, they are better than the Continentals.

Second, in order to change over to non-AC, you'd need to change quite a few things. It would probably be easier to fix the AC.

Next, there is some things you need to look very closely at to be sure the new belts don't self-destruct in a few miles. Look closely at the alternator pulley, the alternator belt tensioner pulley, as well as the small pulleys on both the water pump and the PS pump. If you turn them sideways, the groove should resemble a "V". If it has worn, and resembles a "U" instead, that pulley is worn out and needs to be replaced. The most common culprits are the alternator and tensioner pulleys, because they are the smallest. Usually the pulley on the compressor clutch is fine, because it is so much larger it hasn't spun around nearly as many times as the tiny alternator-related ones.

The listing for the alternator belt is too long...more on that later. The AC belt and PS belt should be fine by their normal listing. I do not have the Gates numbers in front of me but I can get them. But as I recall you knock 5 off the end of the alternator belt listing. So, if it calls for a 1575, get a 1570.

When you go to install the belts, do this: remove the alternator. Only takes about two minutes, just be sure to remove the battery ground cable first. Then, set your new alternator belt over the inner groove of the AC compressor pulley, and leave it lay loose on there.

Next be sure both the big Allen bolts on the compressor's pivot side are loose, and both the 13mm nuts on the sliding side are loose. Loosen the tensioning bolt as far as it will go without falling out, and push the compressor all the way down. With the alternator off this is VERY easy. Install the AC belt, then gently tighten it up with the tensioning bolt. Be careful that the compressor slides freely. I also crank the engine around by hand a couple times about halfway through to be sure the belt is properly seated and not bound or hung-up anywhere. Also keep an eye on your alternator belt hanging loose on the compressor. Don't overtighten this belt, as it also drives the water pump and it can take out the water pump's bearings if too tight. Once in place, secure the pivot Allen bolts and the 13mm slider nuts. Be sure everything is in place and looks straight.

Then go ahead and install the PS belt. Remember there is a "hidden" bolt on the lower pump bracket, near the lower radiator hose. And don't forget to loosen the pivot bolt. Again, do not overtighten this as it also turns the water pump. The pump should swing up and down freely. If it doesn't, something is bound up. You can easily drop the whole thing out the bottom of the engine to investigate. Two bolts near the rear of the block for the bracket that goes under the crank pulley, two going up into the block along the oil pan, and the pivot bolt/spacer assembly.

Finally, install the alternator's lower mounting bolt. This will allow the alternator to pivot further down, which along with the tensioner being completely loose will make installation of the [smaller] belt easier. Once the belt is flipped up on to the alternator's pulley, you can lift the alternator's body up into place and attach the upper mounting bolt to the bracket going over to the head. I always loosen the bracket's attaching bolt at the head to it pivots as well. Then tighten the alternator's fasteners, reattach the wiring, and tension the belt via the little 13mm tensioning bolt. Be sure the tensioner pulley's 17mm mounting nut is loose but not so loose it allows the pulley to wobble on the bracket. Do not overtighten this belt. That is the biggest mistake people make. It is a small belt and only turns the alternator, it needn't be very tight. You can always snug it up later.

Finally start the engine and let it get warm. Check the tension of all the belts, especially the AC and alternator belts. If you need to, snug them now. First snug the AC belt, then snug the alternator belt. Notice where the alternator belt tensioner lives...now you'll see why I like the shorter belt...if everything works out, it'll be right about in the middle of the travel. This way, you have plenty of adjustment left if you need to snug it later. Since the alternator belt is driven by the AC belt, every time you tension the AC belt you loosen the alternator belt signifigantly. The shorter belt gives you a better margin.

Also, if your lower skidplate/sound shield is not in place, at least by the cheaper gasser belt guard and stick that on. It only costs about 20 bucks and will greatly help the life of the belts.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hmm, the Gates part finder is giving me 9375 as the belt for the WP and AC, and 7270 as the belt for the WP and Alt for AC equipped cars (hunh?)

Oh, and I don't have a PS belt, as my car's manual steering. ;)

As for shields, I don't have a lower skidplate. The ep0niks Bentley makes reference to a belt protector in front of the alternator on AC-equipped diesels, though, but I don't have that, either.

The PO supposedly replaced all pullies, the alternator, and the AC compressor before selling the car, to try to cure this problem. Obviously, he failed. ;)

Now, here's the thing. I had tried to go about this by installing the alternator belt first, and then installing the WP belt. However, after fighting with the thing, I got the belt on. However, I noticed something...

The alternator is about one half pulley width to the left of where it's supposed to be. Also, the tensioner is somewhat angled away from how it's supposed to be. Not wobbly, IIRC, just sideways. Strange, huh?

oilhammer

TDI
You may have the steel bracket that the alternator tensioner slides on bent. All the pulleys need to be perfectly aligned.

Your car was born with a lower shield, all A2 Jetta diesels had them, but many have been discarded from the little bolt holes stripping out from too many oil changes. The gasser belt guard will work though, it'll fit right on. It just won't deaden any diesel clatter from the outside. My '91 Jetta at a hot idle is just as quiet outside the car as my '04 Passat!

Volkswagen used several different alternator pulleys on their cars, depending on which model, with or without AC, etc. You may have the wrong pulley on there which would explain it being off a bit.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, being able to hear the diesel clatter is NOT a bad thing. And, my car's barely louder than a TDI at idle anyway. ;)

What is the part number for the gasser belt guard? Also, for reference, what is the part number for an alternator pulley for a 1985.5 Jetta Base with an ME code engine and factory (not dealer) air conditioning? And the idler bracket would be a good one to know, as well.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
Alternator alignment on A2

Is your alternator the correct one? Could be the problem of misalignment, if not? My 86 Jetta doesn't have PS either and AFAIK didn't come with any skid plate. I bought it new and have changed the oil myself all these years. I do have the shield over the alternator pulley but it is topside/front. Great info re: belt changes Oilhammer. I've put that in my files. I've always thought that belt changes were too difficult and paid to have them done. Maybe I'll try the next change myself?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Ah, that theory was postulated, as well.

What's the part number for an alternator for my car? The PO had replaced it in an attempt to stop the belt throwing problems. Alternately, would shaving the alternator such that it sits where it's supposed to work?

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
One of the bad things about the A2 diesels is that the vibration of the engine tends to shake the V-belts loose, and the more belts you have (for A/C and PS), the worse it gets. If your Jetta is anything like my '92, you'll end up having to readjust the belts every 6 months and replace them every 1-2 years. :(

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
A2 alternator

Sorry, can't help you re: the PNs of the alternator. My two A2s are up in WV (hibernating) and I won't be there to wake them up for another 5 weeks. The link that Oilhammer posted for VWDiesel parts has good info. IMO and have always been helpful to me. Aren't they in Ohio? Sounds to me like we need to have an A2 GTG this summer? How about somewhere near the Ohio river - say like Parkersburg?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the first to post a link to them ;)

And they just suggested grinding the mounts on the alternator...

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Oh, and before I forget.

Alternator belt cover is a shared part between A/C-equipped gassers AND diesels. ETKA will not list it under Jetta diesels, but will list it under all Golfs and under Jetta gassers.

Part number 191-903-097-A. You'll also want a bolt, part number N-019-700-2.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
OK, so what pulley is on "sideways" (from your other thread)? Is it the alternator?

The PO of my ecodiesel had replaced the alternator. It looks like he kept the original split pulley, but the woodruff key slot on the alt shaft does not allow the pulley to line up with idler and AC pulleys. So I think he got the wrong alternator for a car with AC.

This past weekend I attacked the problem again. I decided against grinding down the body of the alternator because I assume that they might hassle me when/if I bring it in as a replacement core. When I had the alternator out of the car I used a brass wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean up the pulley halves and the idler pulley (there was belt debris stuck to both). I ended up shimming the pulley out with a couple of large washers and now it is almost perfectly aligned with the others. I've been checking it often and it seems OK now. BTW I bought the cheapo Duralast belt from Autozone. I took Oilhammer's advice and got one 10 mm shorter (685 instead of 695).