1983 Ford Ranger diesel--anybody else have one?

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
I've had my fair share of diesels, several of them uncommon or rare ones, like a Chevette diesel, and a Nissan Maxima diesel. My current not so common one is a 1983 Ford ranger diesel. It has a factory installed 2.2 liter Perkins/Mazda diesel.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I've got a B2200 and know where a Ranger is. The one I am missing is a D50 or Mighty Max. Feel like if I ever want one I am gonna have to bite the bullet and go to the PNW.

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got a B2200 and know where a Ranger is. The one I am missing is a D50 or Mighty Max. Feel like if I ever want one I am gonna have to bite the bullet and go to the PNW.
Cool! My dad used to have a b2200 it's the same engine as my ranger. I wish mine was 4x4, but it doesn't really have enough power for that. I had a 1987 Mazda b2600 that I swapped a mighty-max engine into. That was a fun truck. I had it turned up to roll coal and all. That was when I was 16. It was my first truck. Sadly, the engine went out, and I rebuilt it, but found out that some places don't do cylinder liners very well... It blew again not very long later and then it was not rebuild able.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I had one. An '84. It came from CT and was too rusted to rescue, and I had looked into just moving the powertrain into a Mazda pickup, but the '86-93 trucks were actually too different from the --'84 trucks (these were also sold as the Ford Courier). So the engine/trans would not easily fit, as those later trucks were really designed around the F-blocks from the 626 (physically smaller). Although they did stuff the Mitsubishi 2.6L in there, so... maybe I could have cobbled something together. But ended up I had a guy come and buy the engine/trans from me.

As I recall, the little bit I drove it, it ran well... possibly as good as my diesel Toyota truck which was also a 2.2L non-turbo. But boy that Ranger's frame and body was BAD.

The Ranger was available for one year with a 2.3L Mitsubishi-sourced TURBO diesel, and THAT could be had with 4WD. They are extremely rare. '86 I think.

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI

Mozambiquer

Veteran Member
TDI
I had one. An '84. It came from CT and was too rusted to rescue, and I had looked into just moving the powertrain into a Mazda pickup, but the '86-93 trucks were actually too different from the --'84 trucks (these were also sold as the Ford Courier). So the engine/trans would not easily fit, as those later trucks were really designed around the F-blocks from the 626 (physically smaller). Although they did stuff the Mitsubishi 2.6L in there, so... maybe I could have cobbled something together. But ended up I had a guy come and buy the engine/trans from me.

As I recall, the little bit I drove it, it ran well... possibly as good as my diesel Toyota truck which was also a 2.2L non-turbo. But boy that Ranger's frame and body was BAD.

The Ranger was available for one year with a 2.3L Mitsubishi-sourced TURBO diesel, and THAT could be had with 4WD. They are extremely rare. '86 I think.
The 2.3 turbo diesel was 1985-87 and it was the same engine as the mitsubishi mighty max/dodge d50. They would really go. There's a local guy who has a ranger with that engine.