1982 Rabbit Caddy TD diesel Project

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Sold my Nice 1981 Gas Caddy 31k on friday. it was so nice , i was scared to MODIFY it , because i did not want to devalue it.

So a guy was traveling up from Kansas City to pick up a Mk2 Vr6 project car i had at shop and was bringing up an empty tow dolly. I saw this 1982 Caddy with locked up diesel motor for $500 - i asked him about hauling it up to Nebraska for me and he actually knew the seller - so he got it for $400 and i gave him $200 in gas money for hauling it.

I get it and even though the outside is beat up - the strut towers are SOLID - its got bumps and bruises but its good starting point. The interior. is " swollen " like super puffy... i am planning a complete GUT of the interior and starting over. A few weeks ago on local craigslist - there was a 1992 Golf Turbo Diesel - and 1998 Golf GTI ( wrecked ) for sale for $1300 - i bought them both paid $100 to tow them to my shop.. Replaced front end on the Wrecked Mk3 golf and am planning on selling it for $1300-1500 - which will make the Mk2 practically FREE. The Mk2 is 1992 Turbo Diesel - the title says " 1992 Golf ( canada )" what ever that means.

Sold the front bumper ( well gave it to the guy delivering the Truck to me ) so Mk2 is on the hoist - ready to drop out the motor / trans hopefully tuesday / wednesday of this week.

So the caddy - as i mentioned , the body is dented and stuff - but it is NOT rusty.. which is most important , at least to me. It is already diesel 5 speed - so should be easy swap ( in theory )

Any hints , tips or tricks about putting the mk2 motor into my mk1 ? I plan to mark wires w/ masking tape and number them with a sharpie and keep a note pad of location or even take a picture - luckily there is not many - the mk2 TD motor has the wrong alternator installed and its crooked - but i am going to swap from the non ac set up on the caddy and have that alternator rebuilt locally before going back together. I plan to make the interior black - already got some light colored door panels - and found nice non cracked light colored dash at local upull it going to go pull it out tomorrow i think , depending on weather.

The Mk2 drives - it gets up boost pretty good. I think i want to spend the money on the Giles pump - and maybe send off turbo to be rebuilt or even upgrade - i really want this truck to be a work / hauling truck - i enjoyed driving my gasser around and stuff - i might even paint this one - i need to find a better tail gate i think... and looks like someone installed a " roll " pan or something on the back - i prefer bumper so we will see what happens.