1974 Corvette...with a TDI?

Corvette

TDI
None
I have what some say is a very strange idea for my daily driver. I have a 74 corvette and would like to put a tdi in it. Obviously i have some technical issues to work out but i am mostly wondering about Rwd transmissions. I am currently looking for the donor car to get the engine out of so i dont have a particular engine to match to but any help and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
start reading. This is almost the same as a toyota truck swap.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Do some internet searching for Diesel Corvette. Someone in Canada put a GMC diesel into a '68-'69 Corvette. Pretty cool swap when he got done with it.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Over on Motorgeek they have been working with a bellhousing company to make bellhousings for domestic rwd transmissions like the T-5 and the such. You might want to do some searching over there on the drivelines section. Just be sure if you do a swap to make a good thread here on our club.

Corvette

TDI
None
Thank's I will check out those things and keep reading for more ideas. Will certainly keep you all up to date it promises to be an interesting project.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Need to check if the tdi will bee too tall.

The Detroit/GM 6.2 would be a bolt in.
With a turbo they make decent power.

the non turbo one in my dads 82 Blazer got super mpg.

My brother has a 88 FIero GT with a Caddy 4.9 V-8 in it. Love to see a Fiero with a tdi/5speed.
Probly get 60+ mpg.

POStdi

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Need to check if the tdi will bee too tall.

The Detroit/GM 6.2 would be a bolt in.
With a turbo they make decent power.

the non turbo one in my dads 82 Blazer got super mpg.

My brother has a 88 FIero GT with a Caddy 4.9 V-8 in it. Love to see a Fiero with a tdi/5speed.
Probly get 60+ mpg.

I saw a Readers Ride in Hot Rod I think it was a few years back of a 77 Vette with a GM 350 diesel. Owner claimed it was good for 38mpg.

I think the TDI would be better suited for the Vette because of the lightweight aluminum construction. I don't know anything about the GM diesels, but if you can run aluminum parts, heads, waterpump, intake, etc like the common SBC, then that would be great. I don't know how sporty it would be without a turbo though.

I have a 71 Camaro, 57 Chevy, and 56 Ford truck, and I'd like to see any of them with a TDI or comparative diesel for killer mpg... and dagger-stares at the car shows. :D

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Corvettes are made of fiberglass not aluminum.

If the car is nice and original, please sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. If the engine is blown but the body good, repair the engine or at least swap in a good engine of the same type. Or just sell it. No reason to do something blasphemous like installing a TDI into it. The only way I would consider this swap or a GM diesel swap into a vette is if the car was a POS with a bad driveline and poor interior or if it was already butchered by some idiot.

There are just certain things you do not do.

Last edited:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
someone's got a soft spot for the vettes ;)

If you do hack it, and it is the original block in the vehicle... at least save it. If it ever does become someones restoration dream they would be grateful to have the original to play with.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If you love driving the vette and hate filling up then do what you want and build something controversial. Some older vettes are dogs and will never be worth money. Build it well because people will want to look at it everywhere you go and knit pick.

Corvette

TDI
None
Haha. Yeah a little touchy on the corvette indeed. I will build it because I can! I had done some looking on different small engines but i think the tdi will best suit the corvette as well. As POS said they are considerably lighter than others of similar size. Say an isuzu out of a box truck or a cummings 4bt are nearly twice the weight as well as considerably taller. As for the tainting of a corvette, no it is not the original engine and i will make sure to see a priest when i am done to repent for my sins ;)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I say do it. Make sure to spend some time spec'ing a proper 5sp gearbox and axle ratio to get the tdi in a sweet spot rpm wise. The toyota box might be a good option.

That car will probably end up lighter than a modern jetta.

Fun!!

Corvette

TDI
None
Yes for the most part that is true, it is only a c3 and its far from mint, which is the idea.
I have the car i just need the engine and tranny. I am not sure what i am going to do about the tranny yet. It is an automatic and i would like to keep it that way for the wife. I have seen the adpater plates for the toyota ones and that seems like a good option, but i am also checking into having an adapter made for my current tranny. Weighing the price for the payoff you know.

Corvette

TDI
None
What tends to be the milage drop with an auto? It wouldnt be the end of the world to put a clutch petal and what not in. It seems that overall the manual is also a considerably cheaper tranny conversion from acme. I am still doing the reading up but if i am on the subject of acme would you suggest the toyota or suzuki transmission?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ALH 5spd manuals will get a solid 47-50 mpg all day long on the highway if not better when pampered. The automatics get an easy 5-7mpg less in the same conditions.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
You may already know, but you could have 200-300hp with an ALH if you have enough money and fabrication skills.

The weight savings from dropping the V8 out will be great.. and it will help the car's balance and handling. This is a great project.

As for Corvettes being special and TDI-conversions being blasphemy... what a joke!

My dad used to have a Corvette. It caught on fire. It will me much safer with diesel.

olson325is

TDI
01 Jetta, 12 Golf
I know this is a TDI forum, but I would have to go with a Duramax swap. There is a guy that did one in a Mustang. The car runs 9.90s and still gets 35 mpg. I know that is not the 50 mpg that a TDI would get, but a TDI will not make over 1000 ft lbs of torque.

Corvette

TDI
None
Well that is certainly a significant drop, seems enough to make the conversion. In that case i might as well buy a whole truck and put my 350 in it after i steal the transmission. What terrible problems i have! As for the Duramax or gm 6.2/6.5 swap as cool as it would be thats not really what this project is about. Would be a hell of a ride....maybe the next one.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
The only way I would consider this swap or a GM diesel swap into a vette is if the car was a POS with a bad driveline and poor interior or if it was already butchered by some idiot.

There are just certain things you do not do.

Its a c-3 corvette, 70s 160 HP dog. , start hacking, a new minivan will run circles around a late 80s vette.

If it were a 69 4 speed convertable, well that would be a different story.

And teach the wife how to drive a manual, so she can have fun in a real sports car.

Last edited:

Corvette

TDI
None
Ha. The first parts are ordered. I have a toyota transmission coming from a local junk yard and i just ordered the acme adapter to go with it! We are rolling now!

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Haha. Yeah a little touchy on the corvette indeed. I will build it because I can! I had done some looking on different small engines but i think the tdi will best suit the corvette as well. As POS said they are considerably lighter than others of similar size. Say an isuzu out of a box truck or a cummings 4bt are nearly twice the weight as well as considerably taller. As for the tainting of a corvette, no it is not the original engine and i will make sure to see a priest when i am done to repent for my sins ;)
You will burn for this. The automotive gods are angry! Because I can is not a good reason! Beware!

BTW in case you don't know I am kidding. I do like vettes though.

Last edited:

JayTee013

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 1992 toyota Pickup TDI project
This should be cool. If you own it, its yours to chop apart. Do it because you can, that's the only reason I'm doing my toyota, because I can! That will be pretty cool and fun... When you order the acme kit ask for the dust shields for the starter and inspection cover. Jeff will send you them for free and since you don't have a 22re plate to hack apart. Plus the plates he sends you are zinc plated and way nicer.

Good luck,
Jesse

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
You may already know, but you could have 200-300hp with an ALH if you have enough money and fabrication skills.

The weight savings from dropping the V8 out will be great.. and it will help the car's balance and handling. This is a great project.

As for Corvettes being special and TDI-conversions being blasphemy... what a joke!

My dad used to have a Corvette. It caught on fire. It will me much safer with diesel.
Actually manual, anything can catch fire if it has a leak, even a diesel. Losing engine weight will upset the handling as the ride height will rise changing the camber and toe not to mention the weight bias (ever see a car with the engine out? Look at the wheels.) All of these will need to be corrected with ballast or different springs not to mention alignment (and before you say well that is easy correcting alignment, if it is too far out you will need to do springs or ballast. Cutting the stock springs is not an option as it increases the spring rate making it far less responsive to the road). I guess you haven't started engineering school as yet. If you have you need to listen more. And in my opinion as a car enthusiast, which I do have a right to, it is blasphemous. Methinks the joke is on you.

Last edited: