19" wheels and 225/35 19

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
I just bought my first diesel. Its a manual 06 Jetta TDI demo with 4000kms on it. In may i plan to lower the car and install 19" Huff replicas with 225/35zr19 Falken 452 (300 treadwear). I'm wondering what you guys think i will be sacrificing in fuel consumption to get the style i'm after.

I will also be running the unitronic stage 1 program.

thanks alot.

These are the wheels

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
It depends on your average speed the faster the bigger the cut. Let us know keep good stats now to compare later. I am losing 3 with my 17".

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Rolling resistance, even at max-recommended PSI will be greater than for 17" rims, but my understanding is that a heavy right foot will do more damage to your fuel efficiency than oversized tires.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
but with added style you seriously lose in performance. not sure for the mk5 though, 18 may be bigest to go. to much wieght already though with 18's.

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
v70rsik said:
I will. I'm one to contribute to the community. These wheels are a massive 33lbs ea. sans-tire. :eek:
Why would you want cinder blocks on your car, 33lbs a rim wow, just remember for every extra pound on your wheels it feels like 6lbs going into your car

Try to find a lighter rim if you could but if not at least they look nice

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
wjdell said:
They look cool I agree but you may be sacrificing allot.
For Summer Wheels I have BBS RC's from the GLI they are 18x7.5 and they are 17.5lbs get the looks without taking a big hit

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
I know they are heavy but thak god for 260lb/ft of torque. I know ill need it to turn these wheels. I dont drive too fast of agressively so unsprung weight doesnt mean that much to me.

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of economy for the look, im going from a 1.8t to a TDI so either way im ahead. :)

tarbellb

TDI
2000 GLS Black 4dr Golf TDI
I put on the 18" A8 reps with super sticky kumho exstas and felt a bit of loss but do not keep close tabs on fuel efficancy. For the winter tho, i rock my new longbeaches with Michilen articalpins, this combo has been very good for the brutal winter here in denver. I have not noticed much of a difference between the two. I figure im already getting very good mileage, and keep the right foot under control, its worth the good looks. I cant afford BBS:eek:

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
tarbellb said:
I put on the 18" A8 reps with super sticky kumho exstas and felt a bit of loss but do not keep close tabs on fuel efficancy. For the winter tho, i rock my new longbeaches with Michilen articalpins, this combo has been very good for the brutal winter here in denver. I have not noticed much of a difference between the two. I figure im already getting very good mileage, and keep the right foot under control, its worth the good looks. I cant afford BBS:eek:

Those are one of my favorite OEM wheels besides the BBS RC's and FAT FIVES

Baron11

TDI
Passat 2005 GLS TDI Blue
I have Huffs on 06 Jetta TDI

Based on what I have seen so far, the factory 18" Huffs took about 2 mpg off on average. The speedometer is off a bit, but no big deal because it was never correct anyway.

Regards,

Bryan

tarbellb

TDI
Thanks, they are great looking wheels, that for sure. but the replicas are heavy as sin, near 28lbs each:eek:, like i said tho, not much of a difference when driving tame.
I have cross checked my speedo many times to the digital readouts on the street and my car is exactly what it reads. Just keep your rim diameter and series wall size in check. for example i have a 18" rim with a 40series wall 225/40/18.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
Baron11 said:
Based on what I have seen so far, the factory 18" Huffs took about 2 mpg off on average. The speedometer is off a bit, but no big deal because it was never correct anyway.

Regards,

Bryan
thats great. I know these 19" reps are not much heavier than the 18" huffs with stock continentals. Even if i lose 3-4 mpg, i think its worth it.
Thanks alot.

1995vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Spice Red 5SPD PD
v70rsik said:
thats great. I know these 19" reps are not much heavier than the 18" huffs with stock continentals. Even if i lose 3-4 mpg, i think its worth it.
Thanks alot.
I dont mean to be a wet blanket but your braking handling acceleration and MPG's will suffer because of these wheels.

Well to give you an example ask a buddy that has light wheels to do a trade off and you will defenitely notice a difference i know i did

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Does look good and if its for show than accerlation is not relevant. As far as braking to save your life I would think it would stop quicker. Avoidance lane to lane at high speed I would think it would be better - but do not let them get soft a pot hole could be very bad.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
wjdell said:
Does look good and if its for show than accerlation is not relevant. As far as braking to save your life I would think it would stop quicker. Avoidance lane to lane at high speed I would think it would be better - but do not let them get soft a pot hole could be very bad.
Potholes are an issue here in montreal, but ive been running on 40 profile tires for about 7 years with no problems so lets hope my luck continues.

With the wider track and stickier (falken 452) tires..id think performance when braking and turning will not suffer too much over stock.

TDIMIG

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd
1995vr6 said:
For Summer Wheels I have BBS RC's from the GLI they are 18x7.5 and they are 17.5lbs get the looks without taking a big hit
for the 18"s did you need to use adaptors or a lift kit?

I am getting 18x8 and need to know if they will fit in my 01 jetta.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
TDIMIG said:
for the 18"s did you need to use adaptors or a lift kit?

I am getting 18x8 and need to know if they will fit in my 01 jetta.
They will fit with no problems. Lift kit??? Get a lowering kit.:cool:

TDIMIG

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd
thanks, i would like a bit more rubber to help smooth out the ride as much as possible, I was hoping a lift kit would allow me to use 225 50 or 55 18s idealy 60s

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
TDIMIG said:
thanks, i would like a bit more rubber to help smooth out the ride as much as possible, I was hoping a lift kit would allow me to use 225 50 or 55 18s idealy 60s
Buy 15" or 16" wheels instead. What you are suggesting will look ridiculous.

tarbellb

TDI
TDIMIG said:
Just dont buy a high performance/ summer compound tire. Go to www.tirerack.com and read some user reviews they often comment on side wall "flex", i imagine if you got a standard all season with average performance you will find the ride to be ok. Just dont lift your car, it will clear 45 and maybe 50 series wall. But good luck finding them.

compass49

TDI
2006 Jetta
Guys, great talk! I've been looking to purchase a set of 18" OEM Huffs for my car but wondered what the difference from the stock 16" would be.

Now I have a good idea.

Any idea of the weight for the stock 16" alloys (I do not know the model name) from an MK5?

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm going to buy either 17s or 18s and I've been asking myself these same questions.

The weight difference is only .5 lb (from a 17 to an 18") but I assume the reciprocating weigh is worse w/ the tire rim combo on an 18" rim?

I know when I put 20" wheels w/ 37" tires on my Superduty it felt like it lost a 100 hp.

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
A greater MoI (moment of inertia) only effects acceleration and breaking performance and mpg; and has no effect on cruising mpg once already up to speed.

But the tire itself can effect mpg because: it has more frontal area, more friction loss w/ the road, and/ or more sidewall flex. Any tire/ rim combo that concentrates weight farther away from the hub will increase MoI degrading performance.

Lightweight, skinny tires with a low MoI will yield the best mpg. Big rims are the antithesis of mpg w/ high weight at the outer edge.

I've shopped around a lot and compared weights of tire/ rim combos the best I could w/ the info provided. The Oz Ultraleggaria 18" wheels are exceptably light (19.5 #'s) and look great so that is what I'm going with.

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
this is what I am doing on my 02 golf... I am getting 4 of the 17" magnesium option corvette front wheels (97-04)...they are super light, I believe they are the lightest oem wheels of that size ever made... then i am getting special 1.25" hubcentric adaptors made

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
17" forged montegi traklites weigh 14lbs and are said to be strong. They are $1000 for a set of 4. The 15's are only 10lbs ea. When i had my last jetta. Going from 15 oem wheels to 17" longbeaches I could feel the weight immediately. They were painted black and looked dope but im not sure it was worth it. This time i'm going light at all costs even at the expense of coolness.