18" Tire Size Question - For those that know more than I

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I went shopping for new tires yesterday. My Conti's are getting to the point where they will need replacement at 45K miles or so. One is down to 5/32"

I generally buy from Discount Tire - Their service is unbeatable and their prices are generally the same. The guy there told me they didn't have a lot available in 235/45 18 - however he recommended a few tires in different sizes going 225/50 18 or 225/55 18.

I understand the whole "Width in MM / sidewall height as percentage of width" factor thing, but what I don't understand is how this is all going to transfer into safety and ride quality.

Discount Tire really went through an array of tires and recommended some higher end Falken or a Yokohama YK580 in 225/45 18. All in these would be under $700, with him giving me about $100 or so in credit for the three Contis that they could resell used to someone in need.

Sams Club wasn't really as helpful - They asked what size I needed and told me he could get me out the door for like $450. I said "exactly what tire is this?" and he said it was some private label tire and the specifications (warranty and just cost in general) didn't impress. I said I'm looking for more of a premium touring tire and he recommended the Pirelli P7 after looking through his computer and getting a price. Those would be about $795 with an instant register rebate but those are in the factory size.

I'm hesitant to buy a tire in a different size mainly because I'm not exactly sure what the drawbacks or advantages would be. I know speedo accuracy can be an issue, but what else should I look for if I buy a different size tire?

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Higher aspect ratio for ride quality and rim protection. Check Tire Rack. They list all sizes for roll out. Keep it close to stock if your interested in keeping speedometer close. All is moot if you auto x your car.

Last edited:

Ebenke

TDI
'13 Passat TDI, SE, Sunroof, Nav
Cheap tire's are not cheap. Make sure you get a decent replacement tire. Michelin, Contis, Pirelli, etc. there are plenty of good tire's in the OEM size.

EBenke

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Cheap tire's are not cheap. Make sure you get a decent replacement tire. Michelin, Contis, Pirelli, etc. there are plenty of good tire's in the OEM size.

EBenke

I ended up with a 245/45/18. For my all season tires. I like the look of a wider tire. That is the route I would go if I was going to change from the stock size.

I do my snows in the oem size.

Just stick with oem if you're concerned about size differences. As mentioned there are plenty of good choices.