17k rear tires shot.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
My wife is leaning towards the inspection shop also. I will check date codes tonight. She didn't believe me at first either and refuses to believe it happened right out in front of the house.

The inspection shop is a three door repair shop. Small time. No lifts. They also have a business where they rebuild wrecks and sell them across the street.

Could they have swapped tires from the time I watched them pull it in the garage (the door remained open) and the time I thought they were done after checking the lights? Thinking back, yes I suppose so.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
What does leaving the car locked or unlocked have to do with swapping the wheels on a car?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
What does leaving the car locked or unlocked have to do with swapping the wheels on a car?
If car was unlocked they would have access to spare tire well - and the anti-theft lug key. That is if they didn't have their own set.

There is a lug key kit the dealers have for their techs. The one I saw (from Audi/VW dealer had (IIRC) between 20-25 lug keys in it.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Maybe they put someone else's tires on by accident at the dealer at your last service ... Just a thought.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Maybe they put someone else's tires on by accident at the dealer at your last service ... Just a thought.
Nope, the last time I was at the dealer was 7,000 miles ago and I've checked them since then.

I'm leaning more and more to the inspection place.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I know, the suspense is killing me. Man, if I really thought my tires were swapped, I'd be obsessive and get to the bottom of it! *shrug*

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
What is going on???? I've never heard of an inspection shop letting nearly worn out tires pass. Probably because of Obama.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
OP, i wonder if someone who works at that whop has a VW with same wheels,
i can totally believe it was swapped out.
17K and such wear?

do people who work there have thick russian accents?? ....just saying....

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well any update

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think this thread is ready to be locked and forgotten. There's no way the OP was driving with bald tyres that long.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
The OP posts here pretty often so we are waiting to see what happen

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Starting to wonder if something happened to the op ???????? Paging pknoop

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I think this thread is ready to be locked and forgotten. There's no way the OP was driving with bald tyres that long.
LOL, no I'm not. This is my long break week and I've been away.

The date code is the same. Or was the same. I know that makes it even more odd but all the same, the tires didn't go bad in 3 weeks.

I found a set of take offs and replaced the tires. My wife still believes it was the inspection shop that switched them. I went by there and there are no VW's around but I will continue to watch his sale lot.

On perhaps a positive note for someone, I found these tires which are extremely cheap. I didn't want to be the one to try them out nor did I need a complete set right now.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Discount_Tires.cfm?pn=LX-LXS0970270&pID=25482

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Well glad your alive was starting to worry, but no clear reason to what happened, I just bought michelins so I will pass on your find.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
OP, so you didnt go into the shop and ASK them if somehow maybe just maybe they mixed up someone else's tires with yours?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
OP, so you didnt go into the shop and ASK them if somehow maybe just maybe they mixed up someone else's tires with yours?
No, I'm not going to accuse them of stealing my tires without something more to go on.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
The most likely reason ( and I know you will disagree ) is they are your tires and the inspection missed them, who steals tires and replaces them with the same date code????

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
The most likely reason ( and I know you will disagree ) is they are your tires and the inspection missed them, who steals tires and replaces them with the same date code????
considering how many Jetta's and GOLFs are out with those same wheels ,
its very likely that someone from same year model or even one earlier switched it.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
And the same tire date code??????

UOTE=RomanL;4104013]considering how many Jetta's and GOLFs are out with those same wheels ,
its very likely that someone from same year model or even one earlier switched it.[/QUOTE]