175,000 and still counting

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
xracerbob said:
Another hi mileage BRM here- 226,000 miles. Oilhammer- have you seen many wheel bearings go? I just did the right front and now the left front is starting to hum a little louder. When I got it off the old one was just sloppy, not terrible, but the noise was irritating. Should I just go do the rears as well or wait for them to start making noise?
Can't say I have had to do a wheel bearing yet on one.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
faafaafowhigh said:
when it breaks, I am done and will wipe my hands off and move on. I was advised by Betten Imports of Grand Rapids Mi that it was unnecessary to change water pump. How many times have you changed your waterpump?
Is Betten going to pony-up for a new motor when the WP goes and takes pistons and valves with it? Do you even know what the weak link is on the OEM pump? I didn't want to change mine either, but expert advice and simple math won the day. I'm not trying to be a prick. Rather it's what you don't know that will hurt your wallet. For instance you and others indicate there's no need to pull the VC because car running perfectly. This leads me to believe you are not aware that on every cam failure car ran perfectly until a hole wore through a follower and motor ingests large chunks of metal.

Anyone going 300k+ on the same cam is not likely to have the dreaded cam issue -- so we think. However, I found minor wear on my BRM at 70K, and watching progression closely. To my surprise at 100K I coud not detect an increase in wear, although laws of physics say otherwise. Tomorrow I will do the 120K service and check again. Based on last check, I estimate 200K before iminent failure. By then I will move on to the 2012 model and it becomes VW's problem. I for one am not a "drive 'til it breaks" consumer because things seem to always break when I'm least able to deal with it. In the end I save teme and money. Good luck with your "drive 'til breaks, then FU VW" methodology.

dcel

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Traded my 06 Jetta TDI on a 2010 JSW TDI
My 06 was a great car! Bought it new. Had the DSG transmission. 155K miles when I traded. No problems. Change oil, normal DSG fluid change, drive car.
The DMF was a little noisy at 155K and the DSG clutch would slip a bit when starting cold. But VW said no problem, just drive it. I did and it was never a problem. I hope the 2010 JSW TDI is as good or better....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
xracerbob said:
Another hi mileage BRM here- 226,000 miles. Oilhammer- have you seen many wheel bearings go? I just did the right front and now the left front is starting to hum a little louder. When I got it off the old one was just sloppy, not terrible, but the noise was irritating. Should I just go do the rears as well or wait for them to start making noise?
I've had to replace all four corners. They all went at 200,000 +/- 30,000 km.

J

jfitetx

200,000 miles

Just like to say my 05 has not suffered any mechanical failure. Most of the things I replaced or did was for MORE POWER. IE, new 150 injectors and a new mod from Kerma resulted in a slippy clutch. Turned 200k Sat, I replaced timing/serpentine/water pump yesterday, also replaced at 100k. Today I did oil/fuel filters. Looked into the intake and it is clean as a whistle. Removed Valve Cover and the cam is pristine. Took off the I/C, nothing poured out, cleaned off the bugs and reinstalled. The drivers side fan went out and needs replacing. I have replaced the fuel pump when it failed. I go through drivers side tail lights more than any other light. I've always run Valvoline 20w50 or Royal Purple and change the oil every 10k. And yes I run mostly Bio-diesel.
I was wondering about those wheel bearings, guess I'll wait till they start yelling. Still on the original front brake pads. Currently my commute is 83 miles one way, all highway till I get to downtown. The shortest this car has seen is 67 one way. I'll drive it till the body rots off.

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
I have had to do heater hoses a bit ago-though they failed gradually.
Wheel bearings on all my cars seem to be related to a big hit in a pothole-they start to rumble within a year of a hit that makes me wince.

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
150,000 miles on my 2005.5 no problems at all just normal maintenance.I do highway miles 95% of time.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
faafaafowhigh said:
I do not have a fetish about this car, when it breaks, I am done and will wipe my hands off and move on. I was advised by Betten Imports of Grand Rapids Mi that it was unnecessary to change water pump. How many times have you changed your waterpump?
Betten Imports, eh? Well, I'm here to tell you that some time back, this bafoon outfit tried to pass off a 2005 B5 wagon as a leather/wood specimen with the stickey back wood grain crap and I had to note that the steering wheel controls were missing before they admitted that the seats were actually leatherette as opposed to leather.

At least they seem to be consistant. I mean afterall, you can't very well have a bafoon sales staff without having an incompetent service staff to boot, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
faafaafowhigh said:
I do not have a fetish about this car, when it breaks, I am done and will wipe my hands off and move on. I was advised by Betten Imports of Grand Rapids Mi that it was unnecessary to change water pump. How many times have you changed your waterpump?
One shop to stay away from for anything

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
If youre not Dutch, youre not much.

Betten is in Grand Rapids, which is the heart of Dutch people outside of Holland, MI and Amsterdam.

NewYorkBuck

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2015 Black
redlm said:
Just to balance some of the negative stuff-

My '05.5 TDI with DSG now has just over 175,000 miles.

I bought it just under 3 years ago with 28,000 miles on it, and found after the fact, from the original dealer, that the recommended oil was NOT used.

I change the oil at 10,000 miles. The level never changes.

Performance is the same today as when I bought it. So's MPG, about 45-48 with a high at about 50.

The car rattles at idle in Park, stops when in gear. Been doing that for 120,000 miles.

Cooling fans and in-dash fan went out within a week of each other, and the driver's door wiring harness failed 4 months later. All this year.

Outside of that, routine replacement of parts (brakes, 1 set, 1 timing belt) all is well.

That is all.
Im almost afraid to post here and jinx myself, but I have been happy w my 2005.5. Bought it brand new and paid cash. So far I have 51,000 on it, albiet I live in the NYC metro and many of those miles have been tough miles.

My maintenance thus far -

Changed oil at 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50k. Used 505.01 until the last one, when I switched to TDT w some PoS2. I believe only the changes at 30 and 40k were with 5W-30.

Also at 50k, switched to a SMF. Rattles just a bit, but nothing to worry about. Easier to drive and I dont have to worry about it failing on the BQE......

Maybe the one nit - I needed to change rear brakes at 22k. Seemed VERY early.

Anyway, Im going to keep it for a while. NYB knocks wood!

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Guess Im with you all my 05.5 has 120,000 miles on it..Only work I have done was the timing belt/ water pump at 100,000 miles and rear brakes pads at 119,500 (less then a dimes width of pad left on the rear..Front still have 45% of life left)..