15k Service

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Here is what I have so far, with the normal fluids/filters, (including fuel filter) change:

Check tranny for codes, have a thunk when coming to a stop and a whine in one of the gears.

Hesitation/drop out when cresting a hill between 30 and 40 mph.

Long hesitation on emergency acceleration.

Lube the driver's seat rails as it groans when adjusted.

Check the climate control as it only goes to four clicks on the fan setting when heating.

I know that most of the issues above have been discussed, but I'm still making them write it down. It appears that they will change the dust/pollen filter but not the air filter? The first air filter I see in the book is 55k?? I may have to pick one up one of those. Anything else?

Last edited:

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
FYI, IMPORTANT. The dealer had to be convinced to change the fuel filter. In the morning, when I dropped it off, they told me it wasn't part of the 15k service I asked them to please check with Audi as I received a supplement to my owners manual telling me to change it at 15. They called me later in the day to ask about the climate control issue, that seemed to be the one they were most interested in, and again told me there was no fuel filter change. I told them I would call Audi to be clear then presto they changed it. PLEASE remind them of their obligations. Everything else was "Operating up to AUDI specific standard". They did re-flash the ECM 23602599.

As a side note the over the hill hesitation was not typed on the invoice. I'll have to remember that one for next time.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Note: What the dealer provides and what VW recommends is often two different things. Unless things have changed, the dealer is not obligated to provide any maintenance services, unless you pay for them. Some dealers do offer some free maintenance services, but if they are free, you can't really complain, unless they do it wrong.

Recalls should be done by the dealer and at no cost to you.

Rather than have the dealer do maintenance or repairs work that they are not offering for free, I would look for a good local TDI mechanic. Take a look at our listing of trusted mechanics in your area.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
Well, included in my deal for the purchase was the first 50K of scheduled maintenence.