'15 Oil Consumption

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hi,

I've tried to do a bit of research but posting but I was wondering where under the hood I can poke around to see if I can diagnose an oil consumption issue. I have owned the car since 9/19, bought used with 73K and I am coming upon 110K. Regular maintenance done and no issues so far but I got the oil light on and topped it up with about a quart of oil around 106K. At 108K I got another low light and threw in another quart. I am runing the Rowe oil from idparts.com but I got the light also right before the 100K mile oil change with the 0 weight VW oil. I am about to hit the 110K mile oil change and wondering if nothing is apparent, where else can I try to investigate? Prior to this issue the car did not consume any oil.

Thanks!

EDIT: I don't think this makes any difference but I drove the car 14 hours straight with one short 10 minute fuel stop 4 separate times during the 100-110 oil change interval (midwest to NYC/DC road trips)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Cars also have a too much oil warning. Make sure it is exactly right. Not too little or too much. Kind of like Little Red Riding Hood and the porridge. I would start with that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you don't find a leak, I'd venture the turbo is consuming the oil. The turbos in these cars are more highly stressed than older cars because of the emissions reduction process, it makes a lot of heat. And oil consumption in conjunction with a long drive in hot weather would support the turbo theory. But look for a leak first.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lots of the 2015s normally use some oil. It is a fairly common topic here, there are several threads on it. Good news is, they have a larger oil capacity AND an oil level sensor. So it shouldn't be cause for concern so long as you keep it topped up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh shoot, that's nothing. You should see the DI 2.4L Ecotec GM engines when they get into full stride. They'll eat oil faster than a Subaru with a hole in a piston.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
What I have found with oil consumption on my vw’s, gas and oil, is oil consumption varies from engine to engine, depending on tolerances when built. I’ve had individual engines consume zero oil in 15,000 km’s, or take a litre every 5,000, from new. But the consumption stays the same from new. I’ve had a friend with a tdi, his consumed a litre every 2,000 km’s from new.

My 2 high milers were the 98 tdi and the 03 1.8 gas, at about 350,000 km’s each. The oil consumption on the gas car never changed but on the tdi, it changed from a half litre when new to a full litre at about 250,000. That was due to an issue with the turbo. I didn’t get it replaced as the car still ran perfect otherwise.

To the OP, if oil consumption changed recently, if it’s not leaking oil- as was said, it is likely the turbo. Keep driving it and check and see how much oil it consumes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
only source of oil consumption I've noticed wasn't a 100% seal tight drain plug. Oil was pooling up in the foam oil pan holder thingy, not enough to show on the belly pan but def enough for that foam to weigh a good 1lb heavier than it should.

I've since used copper crush drain plug washers and consumption has returned to no add ups between 10K oil changes.

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
My 2015, almost 80,000 miles, consumes almost a quart per 10,000. That's a LOT more than any of my other vehicles...but is steady and easily kept within limits. And I always keep a spare quart in my trunk. (I use liqui moly 4200.)