'15 GSW Timing Belt-age or mileage???

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi folks! Just throwing this out there for pondering. I believe the timing belt interval for mileage on the '15 is 130k. Is the time still 5 years like previous models? Just wondering, as it is a '15 and will be 5 years old this year, but only have almost 44k on it now. It'll take at least another 5 years or more for me to reach the 130k mark. Would the dealer deny warranty work if it isn't changed in the date interval?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Since AFAIK there's no time interval published by VW, you could follow the more conservative regimen for the 2.0L MPI: Check the belt at 60K/5 years and either replace if necessary or, if not, recheck every 20K/2 years thereafter. Not the most conservative route, but perhaps a reasonable compromise that's at least based on a published spec.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There is no date in the manufacturers interval. 10-15 years is reasonable if you're concerned about age related degradation. A member here recently reported the failure of his commonrail tdi factory belt at 10 years with 280k miles, iirc. I'm guessing the mileage played more of a role in that failure. Tb failures are extremely rare on the commonrails so far.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm using 10 years as a reasonable interval on my '15. After all, it currently has 13K on it. No way I'm getting to 130 anytime soon.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have changed several TDI timing belts that were 15+ years old, they showed no signs of any fatigue. Cannot remember exactly, but I did a '98 ALH that was at the time about 20 years old, but only had about 20k miles on it. It too looked perfectly fine. And that was the old smooth-back type belt. You could still read the label on it. Peter I may have mentioned this car in some other thread (red one).

10 years is probably a good safe bet, though. Just watch out for critters on cars that sit. I have a certain BEW customer that, despite his attempts at neglect, has not managed to kill a 2005 J-wagon that currently has over 400k miles... it had a timing belt strip teeth off after 22k "bonus" miles (tried to tell him), but it survived, THEN a mouse got in through the CMP sensor wire grommet hole, and CHEWED the belt down so thin it stripped AGAIN, and the engine survived AGAIN. :eek: I swear this car has nine lives.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Did you tell them to grab a lottery ticket? That's crazy! I had a water pump bolt back out and lodge itself down by the crank pulley on my ALH (installed by a very reputable guru no less), it was wearing a nice groove in the belt before I replaced it. Water pump never leaked either.
I think I'd be good with 15 years of age if I didn't hit the mileage. Rolled over 88k on the '15 this week and it's been loosened once to upgrade the fuel pump.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I was impressed by the excellent condition of all of the timing belt components on my '11 when I changed it at 125k miles and 5 years. Like new. In fact, they were so good I couldn't bring myself to throw them out. I suppose I should now that the car is gone. :)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Wp probably won't last as long as the belt.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Someone else told me the water pump will probably dictate when the timing belt gets changed:rolleyes:....

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Pretty sure my WP was replaced prior to my purchase at 17k. Not sure which one I have, but the most revised units no longer have the shroud that covers the impeller at low temps. The sensor wire is still there to plug in, but no function. So...the revised ones may very well last a 130k interval

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
Does VW call for a 130k mile change interval or is that just what people are thinking because we know a lifetime timing belt isn’t real.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Does VW call for a 130k mile change interval or is that just what people are thinking because we know a lifetime timing belt isn’t real.

The lifetime interval you are thinking is for the belt that drives the oil pump on the ea288. I haven't heard of it being a problem for anyone and I doubt it will be. But if it is it looks really difficult to replace but not impossible by any means.