15" Alloy wheel replacements (04 Jetta TDI wagon)

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
It was almost time to replace the set of tires anyway, but last Friday I had a blowout on I-95 and one tire got shredded, and Costco has $150 off a set of 4 Michelins, so they're scheduled to be installed next Wednesday now (Michelin Defenders).

I currently have steel wheels, all of the VW center caps are gone, one hubcap has disappeared, and I was considering replacing the steel wheels with 15" alloys. As I do my junkyard search (car-part.com), what exact specs do I need to keep in mind.

Of the available options, I selected 15x6, alloy, (5 wide spoke), exposed lug nuts.

Is that correct?

And I could post on the For Sale/Wanted section (I already looked to see if there was anything recent available there with no luck). Any recommendations/leads?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Correct lug pattern is 5x100 (the 100 being millimeters) and are shared with any bug, jetta, golf 1999-2005, you should be able to find rims as there's a giga crapton of them out there.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
There are a few places that sell refurbished/refinished wheels online, and the 15-inch ones can be pretty inexpensive too. If you see one you like in that list, try pasting the part number into Google. In a few instances, there might even be new sets available.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Out of all the stock 15" 5x100 wheels, I've always liked the wheels that came on the 03 Jetta the best, in the list referenced above they're calling them "reggae" wheels. Damn things are heavy though, 27lbs.? Whew!

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
I didn't do a fully exhaustive search and am just sticking with my steel wheels for now...
The best option was with Wheel Collision Center who has Avus, Mambo, and Monterey wheels ranging from $155-$160 each. They don't have any sets of 4 but could stock a set of 4 within 5-7 business days. I've used Wheel Collision Center before -- it's probably been 20 years, but it was with my old 1995 Volvo 940. When I had a bent rim, I had them straighten it and refinish all four wheels and they were great. The VW wheels they're selling I'm sure would be just like new (without VW center caps) and therefore are probably a good deal, but I'm already putting $400 into new Michelins (Costco), another $600 + shipping means I might be putting 50% of the value of my car (364k miles) into "new" wheels and tires, and with the steelies being fine, I couldn't justify the expense.

What I'd hoped for is what I've seen people discuss here, like $200 for a set of Avus, even if a little scuffed up, but I didn't find something like that available and it would have been at least a slight risk that at least one might have also been bent.

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe in another 60k-80k miles I'll spring for a set of alloys. :)

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Of those 3, the Mambos look nice. Maybe this is regional, but I don't think I've seen those on a car in the recent past.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have several spare sets of 5x100 wheels. If you want a set of Avus, let me know. I use them now for winter tires and (before that) for fuel economy (super light).